Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2013, 11:02 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A subtle difference between the K-50/K-500 and all other Pentax DSLR

So I just got the K-500 today. Because it lacks the electronic level and viewfinder points, its custom function menu is shorter than that of the K-50 and K-30 (it only has 3 tabs). This made me take a closer look at the options that were left, and I realized one small detail that I overlooked earlier: Pentax decided to remove the expanded ISO range from both the K-50 and K-500, meaning that ISO 100-51200 is selectable out of the box on both cameras.

Even though ISO 25k and 51k are borderline useless, I still think this is a smart move as it will prevent a lot of confusion among new users, who could possibly think that their cameras are broken

Another interesting fact is that the K-500 still has weather seals around the SD and battery doors and both the USB and cable release connectors.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adam, if you put a WR lens on it, would it be rainproof? Like for a drizzle or wet fog (but not in a total downpour, or in the surf)?

When you attach a lens to any Pentax camera, is that point -- the lens mount -- sort of waterproof anyway? It's lightproof, so it must be waterproof, right?
08-14-2013, 12:29 AM   #3
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Adam, if you put a WR lens on it, would it be rainproof? Like for a drizzle or wet fog (but not in a total downpour, or in the surf)?

When you attach a lens to any Pentax camera, is that point -- the lens mount -- sort of waterproof anyway? It's lightproof, so it must be waterproof, right?
Don't bet on it.
Weather proofing camera U/I ports and card compartments is just a responsible act to protect most vital parts, but in no way it contributes, or it raises, the overall WR categorisation.
08-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster

I weighed both cameras and the K-500 is about 5 grams lighter. The on/off switch also moves with less friction, so they've definitely taken the seals out under the hood.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Interesting observations.
It's lightproof, so it must be waterproof, right?
I dont think this logic is sound. I wouldnt rely on it. WR is only WR when both the camera and lens are WR.
09-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I went out in heavy drizzle/fog in Alaska with my K-x and it survived - Had to wait a while to get the moisture out of the lens (Sigma 18-200) and camera afterwards.
Someone actually let me borrow their weather sealed lens (SMC Pentax-DA* 60-250mm F4 ED [IF] SDM i think). Hard to believe that someone else had a Pentax besides the 645D I saw in the rain.
09-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Adam, one minor complaint about the K-30 is the front wheel and the placement of the on-off switch means you can accidentally push one when you meant to push the other. Looking at the photos, it appears Pentax addressed this by both further separation and the angle of the tab on the on-off switch?

09-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Isn't expanded ISO on the k-5 80-51200? Why is the k-50/500 ISO100?
09-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #9
Veteran Member

With Pentax, as far as the interface between the lens and the camera is concerned a WR and non-WR camera are identical. The difference is on the lens itself - it has an orange O-ring embedded in the flange to achieve the waterproof seal between itself and the camera.

However the lens mount is just one of many places where water can get in, so putting a WR lens on a non WR body is not going to help much as water will get in from any other opening in the camera body, such as the SD slot, the control dials, the buttons and so on.