Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-500 review

Pentax K-500 review - Digital Camera - Trusted Reviews

To be honest I am not sure how much I trust this review, not overly in favor of the K-500 compared to its competitors which surprises me. The review was a bit shorter than the reviews they did of competing dlsr's as well.

08-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please don't post links to reviews in the news & rumors section. Moved to the K-500 section.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But they are trusted reviews! dot com!

On the viewfinder points, I completely agree with them. On the lens focus noise, I partly agree with them. On the menu interface, completely disagree.

Pentax should introduce DC motor kit lenses at the very least. I understand that screwdrive is reliable and cheap, and can be pretty quiet - but side by side vs CaNikon kit lenses it can be jarring and displeasing.

Pentax's menu is sparse on the bells and whistles, but it sure is easy to find things. I've played with many other camera menu systems and it can be tough finding ISO settings and AF configuration settings.
08-15-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It's mostly a cut and paste from another review. The tip off is the "dated interface" BS. Pentax consistently gets, from actual reviewers that understand the menus, that the interface is easier to navigate and more intuitive than the competition. The color of the interface is a major disappointment - really? Really? Seriously? Wow.

08-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

obviously the reviewer didn't press the "INFO" button to get all the setting easily... thus the so called dated interface.
08-15-2013, 02:48 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It's mostly a cut and paste from another review. The tip off is the "dated interface" BS. Pentax consistently gets, from actual reviewers that understand the menus, that the interface is easier to navigate and more intuitive than the competition. The color of the interface is a major disappointment - really? Really? Seriously? Wow.
Although I now is mostly use Nikon, I must say the menu system of my Pentax cameras is much better than most out there! The V1 is OK, the NEX I have far worse. The D600 a bit like a Pentax, I must say, but more complex.
08-15-2013, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

1. You look through a glass viewfinder, like on Granddad's camera or whatever. 2. You have to zoom by actually turning the zoom ring, I mean HELLO? 1980 calling. So unbelievable, the whole interface is, like, really dated.

08-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I offer and run on a quite regular basis a 8 week eving class course staring from having bought a camera from a shop and have no clue basis.

I have yet to find another brand that gets brought along that has a simple menus or button configuration like Our Pentaxes. To do simple things like turn down pop up flash power change or change the single dial usagevinstead of two like most pentax bodies can be very frustrating to find
08-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I kind of agree with the review. Even though there is no major problem with the interface, Pentax sure could use a updated more sophisticated design of it's GUI. IMO in it's present state it makes me think of some early web sites in 90:s,which over used number of colours, and animations.

I actually think the older version of the status screen used on K-x and K-7 looks better than the present one with gradient colours.
I haven't checked the latest cameras, but on those I've used I would like options for less colourful status screen.