Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #1

Compatible lens and flash for K30

Hi,

I am thinking about buying a Pentax K30 DSLR camera. I currently own a Pentax ZX-7 35mm SLR. I have a Sigma 28-300mm aspherical IF lens and a Promaster FTD 6500M hot shoe flash attachment for the ZX-7. Can anyone tell me if this lens and flash will work with the K30? Thanks.

08-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Both will work, the flash will have to be used in manual mode.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rdlcud Quote
Hi,

I am thinking about buying a Pentax K30 DSLR camera. I currently own a Pentax ZX-7 35mm SLR. I have a Sigma 28-300mm aspherical IF lens and a Promaster FTD 6500M hot shoe flash attachment for the ZX-7. Can anyone tell me if this lens and flash will work with the K30? Thanks.
Thanks Adam. This will help make my decision easier.
08-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Both will work, the flash will have to be used in manual mode.
Can anyone recommend a flash for K-30, I came to 2 choices: Metz 50 AF-1 & Sigma EF 610 Super. They are almost equal in the price so which one is better, or has better options for versatility?

Thanks in advance!!!

(my priority is to have HSS and to be able to use it of camera, also to have a bounce and swivel) --if anyone can give advise on which one to get and why... (also, I came across a thread that stated that Metz 50 is not yet capable to do HSS with K-30)

08-17-2013, 07:51 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by black-kx Quote
Can anyone recommend a flash for K-30, I came to 2 choices: Metz 50 AF-1 & Sigma EF 610 Super. They are almost equal in the price so which one is better, or has better options for versatility?

Thanks in advance!!!

(my priority is to have HSS and to be able to use it of camera, also to have a bounce and swivel) --if anyone can give advise on which one to get and why... (also, I came across a thread that stated that Metz 50 is not yet capable to do HSS with K-30)
I'm in the same boat... check out the user reviews/scores on the B&H website... they might help you make your decision.
08-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Flash Equipment - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
08-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter

I can't speak for the Metz flash, I have the Sigma EF-610 DG Super.

This flash seems to have all the bells and whistles except for an autothyristor sensor*. There is little the flash isn't capable of. That said, keep both your camera and flash manual close at hand (they are stored on my phone). With capability also comes complexity. Further, some of certain desired lighting setups comes partly from camera settings and partly from flash settings. It is not unusual for me to have both the camera and the flash manual open when doing something I haven't already practiced multiple times.

*autothyristor has been around for several decades. There is a flash meter built into the flash itself. You use manual exposure on your camera, x-sync and whatever ISO & aperture you have set on the flash. So long as the flash to subject distance is within the limits shown on the flash, you subject is generally properly exposed. This dirt simple method is why I still often use my older flash.

One note about HSS flash - and excuse me if I am preaching to the already converted - HSS is NOT intended for stop action photography. It's primary use is lighting a close foreground subject that has a very bright background to preserve details in both foreground and background. The Sigma will do it, both on camera and wireless P-TTL off camera**, but personally I've had little need for this mode.

**To do wireless off-camera HSS requires TWO flashes that support wireless HSS, with the controller mounted on camera and the slave off-camera. The built-in flash is not capable of HSS therefore it cannot wirelessly control a wireless HSS slave off camera. If you only have one HSS flash and want to do off camera HSS, you will also need a P-TTL hot shoe extension cable.
08-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Worlds apart in terms of build quality and the extent of product support - Metz is very much a pro-oriented brand. Autothyrister is an essential component for those occasions when pTTL is getting tricked or you are shooting groups (need to avoid blinkies). I know that folks like their Sigma units very much, but the differences are pretty stark.

On the down side, the extensive menus on the higher end Metz units take some time to get to know - and occasional use will result in a relearning process (shooting Metz on Canon only on occasion makes it frustrating for me).
The Metz also has a flexible servo mode that is very dependable, allowing you to use the K30 on board flash as a controller.