Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2013, 10:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Nikon Lens on Pentax Body

Hello guys. Good day. i need your help.

I was really stuck at choosing between D5100 vs K30. After reading reviews about the pentax k30 i am more interested on getting it. I am also trying to find a pentax 50mm prime lens here on our area but cant find one.
Anyways, my question is, if i purchase a Pentax K-30 body, can i mount Nikon 50mm lens on it or any nikon lens? Please confirm, im a complete beginner and this will be my very first dslr.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to your response. Godbless!

08-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The short answer is no. The long answer is yes, but with an adapter that acts as a telecobverter, thus ruining the image quality and altering the field of view and effective aperture.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Are you looking for a used lens? You just missed the sale on the DA50/1.8, but eBay is full of Pentax 50s, if you're looking for legacy glass.

Actually, it's still on sale for 182, at least.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/864663-REG/Pentax_smc_DA_50mm_f_1_8.html

Last edited by kenafein; 08-22-2013 at 11:11 AM.
08-22-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I haven't tried it, but I understand that a Nikon lens will physically fit into the Pentax bayonet (and vice versa), but because the lenses bayonet in opposite directions (Pentax, clockwise, Nikon, anticlockwise), the lenses will become permanently locked onto the body because of the various lens protrusions if you try to twist-mount it. So best not try it - there may well be a major repair waiting if you do.

What about eBay? If you're looking for a prime, you could do much worse than getting a good example of a 50mm f1.7 SMC-A, which is superb. Manual focus of course. Make sure it's the 'A' version, as it has the 'auto' setting that will mate with the metering system. Don't forget that the field of view with any Pentax digital reflex, being APS-C, will be 1.5 times the apparent field of view on film cameras, so that a nominal 50mm film lens will present a field of view equivalent to a 75mm lens on APS-C, which is a short telephoto. If you want to get a field of view approximating 50mm on film, then you might want to look for a 35mm SMC-A lens, which will approximate to a normal field of view on the K30.

08-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Pentax has some great 50mm primes out there... no need to put Nikon glass on.
08-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Forum Member

if you are a beginner you may not be aware each major brand has its own lens fitting - and mostly you cant mix them. If you google 'registration distance' you will learn that beyond the mount (for which you can often get adaptors) the distance between the lens and sensor is important

Pentax K is one of the more widely available mounts because a lot of minor brands also used, it is also readily adapted to M42 screw fit lenses (but the genuine adaptors are silly prices these days). The modern Pentax DSLRs also work really well with old lenses (which isnt so true with Nikon/Canon) and is one of the prime reasons I moved to Pentax - even really old glass fits and works beautifully. Stick to primes and the quality is generally good, old zooms arent usually worth having

Why do you want a 50mm? The Pentax 18-55 kit lens is a good place to start using your first DSLR and I would suggest if you are looking at primes something wider is more useful - unless you want to shoot portraits in which case 50mm is good. Either way, using the kit lens will show you which focal length you find most useful
08-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rp_dxn Quote
my question is, if i purchase a Pentax K-30 body, can i mount Nikon 50mm lens on it or any nikon lens?
We used to have a forum member, @RioRico,
who was famous for doing all sorts of bizarre lens matings.

IIRC, he had a way of adapting certain Nikon lenses
to be able to use them on a Pentax K bayonet,
with manual focus and aperture ring control.

You might try searching his postings on this forum.

Here's one example:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/163866-what-ti...ml#post1747804

"Some mounts are easily modified. Some early Nikon F-mounts need no work; they just press-fit onto a PK mount."

And another:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/162305-cheaper...ml#post1685873

"I've modified Nikon . . ."

Here's a whole thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/162195-making-nikon-lens-fit-better.html#post1679985
08-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
"Some mounts are easily modified. Some early Nikon F-mounts need no work; they just press-fit onto a PK mount."
Non-AI Nikon will fit (upside down) on the K-mount. There was another user (carpents...switched to Nikon several years ago) who did this quite a bit.

Steve

08-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Non-AI Nikon will fit (upside down) on the K-mount. There was another user (carpents...switched to Nikon several years ago) who did this quite a bit.

Steve
But AI lenses need to be trimmed, and AF lenses won't fit at all without an adapter because of the contacts.
08-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hello guys, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the responses!!! since most of your are suggesting that i should buy a pentax lens instead of a Nikon lens, but unfortunately i cant find one here in our place (Philippines). Most DSLR and lens on sale here are from Nikon and Canon. As much as i want to buy it on ebay or amazon, shipping will be very costly.

Again i would like to thank you guys fopr the response! I guess i will have to settle for D5100 then. God bless you more!
08-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by rp_dxn Quote
Hello guys, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the responses!!! since most of your are suggesting that i should buy a pentax lens instead of a Nikon lens, but unfortunately i cant find one here in our place (Philippines). Most DSLR and lens on sale here are from Nikon and Canon. As much as i want to buy it on ebay or amazon, shipping will be very costly.

Again i would like to thank you guys fopr the response! I guess i will have to settle for D5100 then. God bless you more!
Not a bad choice- best of luck and I'm glad we were able to help

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-20-2014, 01:33 AM   #12

Non-Ai lenses will fit upside down and function on a Pentax K-30?

?

Really?
06-20-2014, 01:58 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clickorama Quote
Non-Ai lenses will fit upside down and function on a Pentax K-30?

?

Really?
yep. but you need to be careful. It can be 'force' fitted, but no click hole. The lens will turn approx 4-6 mm and stay there. Since there is no click hole, it can turn off easily and you may drop the lens.. so be careful.