Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
LCD Viewfinder Extender?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been looking around for an LCD Viewfinder Extender for my k-30, and I can't find anything that's made for the k-30, or one which says it will work with it. Wondering if anyone has found one that works.

would this work?

3" LCD Viewfinder Extender View Finder LCDVF FOR Pentax K 7 K 5 K R DSLR Camera | eBay

Thanks!

Casey

08-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Depends on what you would use it for. For video on a tripod or steadi-cam rig it might be fine. It looks really clunky for handheld still photography.

It is much more expensive, but the Hoodman Loupe series should have a model to fit your camera.

HoodLoupes-Hoodman Corporation
08-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Depends on what you would use it for. For video on a tripod or steadi-cam rig it might be fine. It looks really clunky for handheld still photography.

It is much more expensive, but the Hoodman Loupe series should have a model to fit your camera.

HoodLoupes-Hoodman Corporation
>>Depends on what you would use it for. <<

Good point. I should have said that I'm looking for something to use when shooting video on a tripod. I'll check out the Hoodman.
08-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Should work on the K30, the LCD is the same size and location as the Kr. The only down side for me would be that you need to glue (dbl stick tape) the interface bracket to the camera back, then the loupe holds on to the interface bracket with magnets. I would look for something that attaches to the tripod screw instead. I use something like it on my Q to focus manual lenses but my loupe will not work on my Kr or K30 see link below but the tripod screw will not reach my K30 or Kr tripod hole.

Hans

LCD V5 Viewfinder Screen Magnifier Mirrorscope 2 8 FOR Nikon V1 J1MINI SLR Camer | eBay

The one below could work find a Canon and measure the location of the tripod screw vs your Pentax

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280904295145

Last edited by hnikesch; 08-28-2013 at 10:55 AM.
08-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #5

I was looking for a view finder magnifier for my K-30. I haven't really tried one so not sure which one is actually better for focusing manual lenses.
09-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #6

GGS Swivi Foldable 3X LCD Viewfinder II on Canon Nikon Camera 7D 60D w Strap | eBay

I bought this one. You have to remove the eyecup for it to fit.It works very nice for shooting video. I use this in combination with a pistolgrip.
08-09-2014, 03:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Some years on, how are people finding their viewfinder loupe/zooms?

I'm looking at one for a K-30 also, and am wondering if any of the others on ebay would be suitable for the Pentax K-30.

08-12-2014, 04:43 AM   #8
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Some years on, how are people finding their viewfinder loupe/zooms?

I'm looking at one for a K-30 also, and am wondering if any of the others on ebay would be suitable for the Pentax K-30.
Fancy meeting you here!!
Just tried the one I use on the Q and it fits the k30 nicely. It is very well built.
The only downside is the base covers the battery cover.
Can't stand the magnetic ones.
This is the actual seller I bought from on Aliexpress.
2014 [drop Shipping] Professional 2.5 X Lcd Viewfinder for Dslr / Camcorder 3'' Screen 5d Mark Ii Nex 7 5n D7000 X pro1 30200033-in Photo Studio Accessories from Electronics on Aliexpress.com
08-12-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Thanks GUB,

Yeah I like the idea of the magnertic ones, from a quick on/off angle, but I do like the idea of the tripod approach also.

Main thing is that it is actually capable of aligning properly with the rear LCD screen. Being Pentax there is very little made specifically for it, so all the references tend to be about other brand models, and it's a case of selecting one that will actually work with our gear. Good to see someone who has actually done it!
08-13-2014, 01:15 AM   #10
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Thanks GUB,

Yeah I like the idea of the magnertic ones, from a quick on/off angle, but I do like the idea of the tripod approach also.

Main thing is that it is actually capable of aligning properly with the rear LCD screen. Being Pentax there is very little made specifically for it, so all the references tend to be about other brand models, and it's a case of selecting one that will actually work with our gear. Good to see someone who has actually done it!
It is adjustable in most directions so it can be made to fit. I tend to keep it off the screen on the Q because the extra distance makes for sharper viewing for someone who needs reading glasses.