Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-30 Marked as "discontinued" at B&H

It looks like B&H just sold their last K-30, as it's now showing up as discontinued:
Pentax K-30 DSLR Camera (Body Only) (Black) 15613 B&H Photo

This can only mean that deals on the K-50 and K-500 are on the horizon, though I'm sure the K-30 will be missed!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You know the K-30 is a good product when its successor seems to be just a multi-coloured tweak of it.
08-31-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

On the other hand... the k-50 doesn't seem to offer much beyond what the k-30 has/had beyond some colour options and a slightly higher (noisier) max ISO... so there may be an opportunity to scoop up a "spare" K-30 body on clearance! Henry's up here north of 49 still lists a number of K-30 + lens combos that are quite enticing.... FWIW, I scooped a "spare" K-30 body about 6wks ago for $499 (CAD$)...
09-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Pentaxian

K 30 being discontinued?

Well, I'm coming from a K100D that I have had for about 3 years. I recently acquired a like new K200D. Been using it for about a month and really like it very much over
the K100D. It takes very fine pictures. But I have had a yen for a camera that shoots very easily in low light. In the interim I decided I will buy the
new DA35mm 2.4 autofocus prime, to see if it improves my low light shooting (mostly for family photos in my tiny living room). It will also give me a wider angle for
the camera in the small living room. Of course I'm toying with the idea of getting Kx/Kr but have been turned off by the missing focus light points in the Kx and
the front and back focusing problems with the Kr. How the heck, would focusing be on the Kx without the focus lights, I can't imagine. Boy, things move along lightning fast at Pentax! Now it appears that If I wait till December I can pick up a K30
for a good discount or used price (that's about what I can afford, being on a senior budget).
Does anyone want to talk me into a Kx or Kr or would I be smarter to wait for the K30 to become affordable.
By the way, I have been using Energizer ultimate Lithium AA batteries in my K200D and I swear I have shot over 900 photos and the batteries came used with
the K200D. Is that amazing, or what. I'll never fiddle with rechargeables again, that's for sure. Would sure appreciate any advice. freddy

09-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love mine!
09-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Jacquot, you won't believe this but minutes after I sent out this e-mail, my wife walked in and said to me: "Freddy, My daughter is taking us on a tour of Philadelphia next week for our
25th Anniversary" . I said, wow that's great, I'll have a chance to get some good shots in that Historic place. SHE said..."I would love to buy you a new camera because this is such a
special occasion and I want you to have something you will really love".
So, of course, I jumped right onto Amazon and ordered the K30 body in black that will be delivered to me here by this Saturday. (I also ordered the adapter for AA lithium batteries).
The other good news is I'll be able to sell some of my gear, and buy that great little DA 35mm 2.4 new prime Pentax came up with for about $200. bucks!
I think I will finally achieve the goal of getting good shots in low light. I am also delighted about the great enhancements of the K30 like the big bright pentaprism viewfinder which
will be a boon for my aging eyes. By the way, I've seen some amazing shots from the K30. Wish me luck! Freddy
09-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
By the way, I've seen some amazing shots from the K30. Wish me luck! Freddy
Freddy, your wife sounds like a good woman. Secondly, you're going to love the K-30. I've had my K100D for close to 7 years and would get frustrated when shooting in low light with my FA 50 1.4, because the camera's A/F would hunt too much. The K30's A/F is much quicker and precise and the higher ISO means that you'll get those nice night and interior shots.

09-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Jacquot, you won't believe this but minutes after I sent out this e-mail, my wife walked in and said to me: "Freddy, My daughter is taking us on a tour of Philadelphia next week for our
25th Anniversary" . I said, wow that's great, I'll have a chance to get some good shots in that Historic place. SHE said..."I would love to buy you a new camera because this is such a
special occasion and I want you to have something you will really love".
So, of course, I jumped right onto Amazon and ordered the K30 body in black that will be delivered to me here by this Saturday. (I also ordered the adapter for AA lithium batteries).
The other good news is I'll be able to sell some of my gear, and buy that great little DA 35mm 2.4 new prime Pentax came up with for about $200. bucks!
I think I will finally achieve the goal of getting good shots in low light. I am also delighted about the great enhancements of the K30 like the big bright pentaprism viewfinder which
will be a boon for my aging eyes. By the way, I've seen some amazing shots from the K30. Wish me luck! Freddy
QuoteOriginally posted by Lou Smorels Quote
Freddy, your wife sounds like a good woman. Secondly, you're going to love the K-30. I've had my K100D for close to 7 years and would get frustrated when shooting in low light with my FA 50 1.4, because the camera's A/F would hunt too much. The K30's A/F is much quicker and precise and the higher ISO means that you'll get those nice night and interior shots.
Wow, we must have half of the NY Pentax users posting on this one page.

I too owned the K100, K200, and Kr before picking up the K30. I loved both the K100 and K200 but was very frustrated with their low light capabilities. The Kr handled noise well to ISO 3200 but I hated the ergonomics of the camera.

It's taken awhile to adjust to the K30 but it's been worth the trip. The hardest adjustment I had was the use of the front and rear e-dials, sounds stupid but I kept pressing the +/- button to switch between aperture and Shutter speed.

I really wanted to switch brands but after a lot of research I found the K30 was far more camera for the money than anything the other brands were selling.

Freddie, I agree with Lou, you'll love the K30 once you've mastered it's many advanced features.

Jack.........