Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Well, if you don't buy it, PM me, I know someone who might.

08-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just get it, great camera, lots of reasons why besides the good price... Take photographs, learn and enjoy it.
08-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #18
Veteran Member

The K-30 is a wonderful stills camera for the money. Responsive and IQ as good as anything comparable, plus the body is lovely and comfortable to hold. Last week I used a cheap (cost same as my K-30) new Canon DSLR with a Canon 50mm macro lens on and I just could not believe how absolutely useless it was in comparison - responsive and nice to use it wasn't.

There's quite a lot of talk that Nikon may ditch the 1 system altogether due to poor sales. Just a factor to take into account, I personally wouldn't be bothered by such rumours if it was the right camera and price for me but I would make sure I had all the lenses I needed pretty quickly. Its AF slows down dramatically in low light when it reverts to contrast detect AF by the way. The K-30 slows down as well but I've no idea which one wins out.
08-31-2013, 02:42 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I wrote about my user experience with the K30 here:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7357/9632417321_28c589d7f2_b.jpg

I recently made a tour with the K30, and I can only say that its 'there' as a camera w/o any major limitations that hinder the photographer (me, YMMV of course)
Here are some photos of Tokyo, made with the K30.
[pinholecam] Wandering in Tokyo - Page 3

08-31-2013, 06:21 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Get the camera. I got 2!!
08-31-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At the current prices for the k-30 anyone who doesn't own one (or better) is just plain crazy if they don't buy one. Even Uncle Scrooge would buy one.

There. Did that convince you?
08-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #22

the K30 is that good, that err, i got two. even if the K5II was in range of my budget... well for 450 euros per cam. you can't go wrong. the K30 does better under low light conditions than my collegues K5. and since the K5xx are still pretty much twice the price, K30 is a great choice.
one thing though, get the cam, just the camera and a decent DA* lens, not the cheaper basic lens.
08-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

That is a ridiculously good deal. At that price it could be plaid, for all I care.

09-01-2013, 06:19 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The orange color might prevent someone from stealing it. It's kind of hard to conceal. I got a blue one just to save a few $$ over the black.

Hans
09-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have watching camera reviews on Adorama's Podcast channel lately where I can see the general operation of the camera. The cameras include DSLRs, mirrorless, compact P&S, etc. I noticed how many automatic features are promoted in those reviews. When I think of my own K-30 I realize that even though it has some of those features it is actually missing a whole lot more of them. When you look under the hood you realize that a lot of those features are just preset post processing algorithms in the JPEG development engine, face and pet detection, etc. It's just window dressing. I think the K-30 (and the other Pentax cameras) are designed not to be dumbed down versions of powerful machines but they are designed to be a photographer's instrument. Without all those automated features you are forced/pushed to think about your composition, focusing, and exposure metering. I feel that I have grown a lot more as a hobbyist photographer with my K-30 than I would have with another camera. Now all I want is a camera with TAv or Av mode that shows a histogram. Ok, in camera HDR is nice too.

With the K-30 being as good as it is I think it will become your new primary camera.
09-03-2013, 06:35 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I live in TAv mode - honestly it's the best control system with two wheels. OK, for specific situations I may run manual or Av - and I want to try my hand at bulb mode during a good thunderstorm if they don't keep bypassing us...

The TAv mode alone should sell Pentax cameras.
09-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #27
Pentaxian

I say if your contemplating ???? Just do the RIGHT thing and get the K30 ! I bought both a K30 and a K5IIs. I wasted my $$$ on the K5IIs and should have just bought two K30's for $499 from Hunts. Just do the K30 thing and do it ! Its more camera than you will be able to master anyway. Cheers
09-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #28

Original Poster
Thank you guys for all these great responses! You are right, $384 for a weather sealed camera with a WR kit lens, optical viewfinder, built in SR, two wheels control, among many other features, it's a no brainer no matter what colour unless you have already invested a lot on other brands.

So I just went there last Sunday but was all sold out! But the sales said there are more in their storehouse the company is trying to get rid of the stock for K50 and K500 as well as other new cameras from other brands. He can order it for me but would take 1-2 business days for it to arrive and ready for me to pick up. I guess this is probably the last batch of stock so I bought it without hesitation!

Just got it yesterday and started charging it's battery immediately. Did some basic testing like dead pixel check and focusing tests. Everything looks fine. But I did everything at home didn't have time to bring it out to stretch it's muscles, gotta head to work. But overall feeling is, I miss optical viewfinder so much XD. The experience of actually looking through the viewfinder to look at the object and compose is just different, a lot richer experience than through an LCD. The kit lens is actually a lot better than expected. I don't have a Nikkor 18-55 kit to compare it with but it's up there with my Nikon 18-70 and I like the colour rendition more than the Nikon 18-70.

Oh and just want to ask about manual lenses on the K-30, because I am going to my niece's birthday party next week, I am planning to bring the K-30 to test it's SR capability under low light. But am not sure how to setup for manual lenses. Say when I mount a pentax m 50/1.7 onto the camera and turn the camera on, it'll prompt me to set the focal length. Should I set it to 50mm or 50 x 1.5 = 75mm? What if it's a Tak 55/1.8 (55 x 1.5 = 82.5) but I don't see 82.5 as an option. I prefer my Pentax Q more on this as it allows me to input the numbers of the focal length instead of choosing from a preset range of numbers. Or am I not setting this correctly on my K-30? Also is there a way to get focus confirmation when using manual lenses?

Thanks a bunch guys!
09-12-2013, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

FL is FL, the 1.5X factor is merely a comparison with what you would see through the VF on a full-frame camera. So you will set the FL to 50mm or 55 for the Tak. Don't worry about crop factor any more unless you're mostly accustomed to using a film body or FF digital and need to make mental comparisons. Just mount the lens and use it.

Focus confirmation will be the green hexagon in the VF. I'm not sure whether the K30 has Catch in Focus, but I presume it does. this automatically fires the camera when focus is achieved. This must be in AF-S mode and have the option enabled.
09-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #30

orange is easy to find in forest