Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #31

Welcome to Pentax!
I just got the K30 earlier this year and I'm loving it so far. The main reasons I got it were the weather-proofing and the plethora of (comparatively) cheap glass, and both of those features have been working out excellently.
I was going to try to convince you to go for the deal, but I'm pleased to congratulate you on having gone for it instead.
Oh, and the focal length for a lens is an absolute quantity. 50mm is 50mm. To my understanding, entering that into the camera is for the benefit of your EXIF data and shake reduction.
Have fun!

10-03-2013, 06:53 AM   #32
Yos
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jealous jealous jealous! Congrats on a good deal and a great camera
I wish I was able to find such a deal were I live! Maybe I will have to buy a K-50 to use as a back up camera when prices will fall
Enjoy your camera!
10-08-2013, 04:07 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I guess I am in the minority here, but i would no way get an orange camera. A blue one however I would be all over
It's a great camera. Not perfect and lacks the refinement of the more expensive models (K-5, K-5ii and i am guessing the K-3), but for the price, i think it is unmatched.
10-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
As the owner of an orange K-x I can tell you, you'll get looks and a few will stop and comment. The two biggest things I hear is: what kind of camera is that? and I've never seen an orange camera before. Sometimes I get both comments from the same person.

10-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quite a while ago in another forum someone was looking for a high quality, excellent entry level dslr at a rock bottom price in order to document various findings at a very large construction site. I suggested a Pentax, and I think it was either a Kx or Kr at the time (during their closeout), and I added (in humor) that they could acquire one in "construction yellow" (surveying equipment, etc. also comes in that color). They though the idea was great, since it would match their electronic levels as well as their surveying equipment. I believe that they wound up ordering a dozen with the kit lens in the same color.

10-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cleffa Quote
A local dealer for Pentax is recently lowering the price for K-30 but only for the colour orange. Price is approximately 384 USD for the 18-55 WR kit set. Is it worth buying?
I am a Pentax Q user and also has an NEX-5N. I use a D200 but hasn't been using it for over a year due to dead pixels (over 100K shutter counts). I found that I miss shooting with a viewfinder but hasn't found a reason for me to get a newer Nikon DSLR mainly due to price.

Now there's an opportunity to get a K-30 and the price is within my budget. Spec wise it's similar to my NEX-5N but what I most value is the viewfinder, the SR stabilization, and weather sealed feature. Ever since getting an NEX I have also bought a few Pentax manual focus lenses such as the Pentax M 50/1.7, so I can mount them directly to the K-30 as well.

But the orange colour really makes it feel like a toy. The sales actually recommended me the Nikon 1 V1 because of the faster focus, faster continuous drive (mirrorless are faster), faster reaction time (eg. start up time and menu screen selecting), and metal body as opposed to the K-30's plastic sealed body.

So if I am missing anything, any factors I haven't thought about, please tell me. I think it's better to ask people that actually have experience with the camera instead of wondering about things by myself . To buy or not to buy, please convince me one way or the other .
K-30's have been known to make me drool. An orange one? Total people magnet, you will turn heads, lol. Seriously it's a great camera and orange is a fun color for it from what I have seen. I like the red the best but why not? This is 2013. Go for it. A little color never hurt anybody.
10-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
An orange one? Total people magnet, you will turn heads, lol.
That is why i never would get one...i think it is a cool color, but i am a total introvert. I get nervous when people notice me

10-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #38

Photos: Albums
Do they still have the orange one in stock? With such a really good deal you got I really want to get one, too. And I love it with orange color, too!
Perfect for me!

What shop or what dealer did you buy it, anyway? Are they nation-wide like Best Buy or etc? Hopefully, I can find one here, in Oregon.
10-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #39
Forum Member

For that money, simply buy it & spray-paint it your fav. color OR sell it for full price to a friend at the Univ. of Texas or Univ. of Tennasee, then use that to buy the color you want!