Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #1

Convince me to get a K-30

A local dealer for Pentax is recently lowering the price for K-30 but only for the colour orange. Price is approximately 384 USD for the 18-55 WR kit set. Is it worth buying?
I am a Pentax Q user and also has an NEX-5N. I use a D200 but hasn't been using it for over a year due to dead pixels (over 100K shutter counts). I found that I miss shooting with a viewfinder but hasn't found a reason for me to get a newer Nikon DSLR mainly due to price.

Now there's an opportunity to get a K-30 and the price is within my budget. Spec wise it's similar to my NEX-5N but what I most value is the viewfinder, the SR stabilization, and weather sealed feature. Ever since getting an NEX I have also bought a few Pentax manual focus lenses such as the Pentax M 50/1.7, so I can mount them directly to the K-30 as well.

But the orange colour really makes it feel like a toy. The sales actually recommended me the Nikon 1 V1 because of the faster focus, faster continuous drive (mirrorless are faster), faster reaction time (eg. start up time and menu screen selecting), and metal body as opposed to the K-30's plastic sealed body.

So if I am missing anything, any factors I haven't thought about, please tell me. I think it's better to ask people that actually have experience with the camera instead of wondering about things by myself . To buy or not to buy, please convince me one way or the other .

08-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Sounds to me you are already convinced and you just need an approval .

K-30 is a very good camera... will be a shame to miss the opportunity to be honest...
I don't know much about that Nikon 1 V1 though... :|
08-30-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cleffa Quote
The sales actually recommended me the Nikon 1 V1 .
10 Mb with a tiny sensor?

You're welcome to it, Cleffa!
08-30-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Convince me to get a K-30
I usually like to make these kind of decisions myself, except if I need somebody to blame later...., but having a K-30 (20+K clicks), no problems so far, using various AF and MF lenses (very good OVF, and focus peaking in LV), I think it will fulfill most of the normal shooter's needs. Personally I'm not one for all these colors, but if you can live with it, I can't see you regretting buying the K-30 at a good price.

08-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well, you need to get what you feel will give you room to grow and be comfortable shooting. The build on the K30 is good -- I would trust it (with a sealed lens) in more situations than the V1. But, they are very different cameras. The V1 is a small sensored, mirrorless camera, while the K30 is a middle of the road APS-C SLR.

I wouldn't worry about the orange color, but that's just me...
08-30-2013, 07:21 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Sounds to me you are already convinced and you just need an approval .

K-30 is a very good camera... will be a shame to miss the opportunity to be honest...
I don't know much about that Nikon 1 V1 though... :|
You are absolutely correct my gut tells me to buy it, in fact, if it's a black or blue colour I would've shown up on the "How many K-30 users do we have" thread already hehe.
It's just the colour orange that makes me wonder and have 2nd thoughts about my decision.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
10 Mb with a tiny sensor?

You're welcome to it, Cleffa!
You are right, two very different cameras aiming at very different customers.
08-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That looks like a great price! Color be damned, I would say get it. You'll grow to like the camera and you'll stand out as a unique individual. My K-30 is blood red.

Bottom line for getting a K-30:

1) First and foremost there is an amazing quantity of lenses in K-mount, M42 threads, etc. especially if you are ok with manual operation. Their price is low and their performance can be superb! Get ready for a bit of PP to correct colors.

2) OVF, as you have mentioned before. Seriously, what a pleasure it is to look through it!

3) IQ from the sensor across the ISO range. The sensor is made by Sony and used in other cameras. It's a tried and proven design.

I think every camera will produce great images especially when you zoom out to the size of the target print (if you print). Sure, there will be some differences in how the sensor data is processed but no matter what you'll probably be 90% there and the last 10% is a matter of taste. Pixel peeping is a whole different world.

08-30-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Price Hike?

Hello cleffa, Welcome to the Forum!
If the color is the only thing really stopping you, I have a question;
Would you pay $100 more for a black one? Same camera, same lens?
Hunt's and a few other sites have been advertising the same kit for $499 (black body) for more than a month. I don't know how long the deal will last, or even if it's expired, but a quick Google search should turn it up. Apparently B + H photo has now listed the K-30 as discontinued, meaning they don't have more 'new, old stock' units to sell. But other stores may.
JMO,
Ron
08-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, new orange K-30 for under $400! That is very tempting.
Over here, the main Pentax dealer seems to be selling the black K-30 kit for 529,00€ (on sale, reduced from 711,60€ lol). At $384, it actually looks like a good deal.. and orange is a cool colour. Do it, you will never want to buy another black camera again
08-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery
I would've preferred orange actually over the black one I bought.
08-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow, that's a steal for the k-30 (and orange color is a bonus)... may be it will rekindle your interest to use the viewfinder to shoot.
08-30-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You are absolutely correct my gut tells me to buy it, in fact, if it's a black or blue colour I would've shown up on the "How many K-30 users do we have" thread already hehe.
It's just the colour orange that makes me wonder and have 2nd thoughts about my decision.
Color aside... is still a good camera. I would rock an orange one without a problem.
08-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a steal of a deal. I can't tell you how many orange shirts I have...so I'm a bit biased.

Colored cameras definitely stand out in a crowd, though - you may find you like it.

And the V1 received very mediocre reviews, IIRC. If you want a DSLR, get a DSLR and enjoy the viewfinder.
08-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
Banned

A local dealer for Pentax is recently lowering the price for K-30 but only for the colour orange. Price is approximately 384 USD for the 18-55 WR kit set. Is it worth buying?
I am a Pentax Q user and also has an NEX-5N. I use a D200 but hasn't been using it for over a year due to dead pixels (over 100K shutter counts). I found that I miss shooting with a viewfinder but hasn't found a reason for me to get a newer Nikon DSLR mainly due to price.

Now there's an opportunity to get a K-30 and the price is within my budget. Spec wise it's similar to my NEX-5N but what I most value is the viewfinder, the SR stabilization, and weather sealed feature. Ever since getting an NEX I have also bought a few Pentax manual focus lenses such as the Pentax M 50/1.7, so I can mount them directly to the K-30 as well.

But the orange colour really makes it feel like a toy. The sales actually recommended me the Nikon 1 V1 because of the faster focus, faster continuous drive (mirrorless are faster), faster reaction time (eg. start up time and menu screen selecting), and metal body as opposed to the K-30's plastic sealed body.

So if I am missing anything, any factors I haven't thought about, please tell me. I think it's better to ask people that actually have experience with the camera instead of wondering about things by myself . To buy or not to buy, please convince me one way or the other .
I paid over $600 for the body alone, this is a deal no matter what color it is! The K30 is a great camera, and the fact it may look like a toy means potential thieves will bypass you and hunt down those CaNikon shooters!
08-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
Forum Member

Less than a month back, I ordered a blue one with the 18-135. Same place is now selling the same kit for $120 off what I paid. I'd say buy the orange one and, if you don't like the color, cover it with gaffer's tape or another non-skid tape. I'm extremely happy with the quality shots I'm getting from mine. Grab the deal before someone else does.