Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #1

K-50 First Impressions from a Newcomer

Hi everyone!,

I am new to both photography and to Pentax. I do have to say that before I dove into buying a new DSLR I did my research! Needless to say I am very happy to say the least with my decision to go the Pentax route and for choosing to buy the K-50. I bought it with the kit lens(18-55mm). I have also studied LONG and HARD the basics of dslr photography to really gain an understanding of the capabilities the K-50 offers. Even though I havent touched on everything it offers yet I can say that my experience shooting during the daytime in the sunlight it has produced some amazing photos that honestly I have trouble believing I was the one who shot them. Having said that, I am aware that it is only the kit lens so my first photos arent going to be tack sharp as if i was using a prime lens. I have spent enough time with the K-50 to start to venture out into the "manual" mode which has taught me a lot already about what I should and shouldnt do. I have used the Histogram with my shooting as well which has helped with getting my exposures correct(for the most part). I have experience with color correction with my gopro videos so switching to correcting photos isnt much different. Anyway I hope to learn more from averyone here as I am still a beginner! I noticed that there werent a whole lot of K-50 Photo examples available here on the ofrum yet so I thought I would include my Flickr photos for eveyone to see. Please let me know what you think. keep in mind that most of these photos have been through post processing but they are the raw images from what the K-50 shot so I can say that I am happy with the results.

Enjoy!

Flickr: junglebrute's Photostream

09-03-2013, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Albums
Welcome. Looks like you have a lovely landscape to work in. I particularly like your "Top of Hawii Loa Ridge" one: Top of Hawii Loa Ridge | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you're interested in a good book to help get you started then I recommend "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Certainly helped me grasp a few things.
09-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome Junglebrute! Good to see you are enjoying your K-50. Starting with digital photography and a new camera is an exiting event, because there all sorts of new things to discover and you can make plans how to use your gear. PentaxForums is a great place if you need advice and with the search option you can already see how others solved problems. Happy shooting!
09-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
Welcome. Looks like you have a lovely landscape to work in. I particularly like your "Top of Hawii Loa Ridge" one: Top of Hawii Loa Ridge | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you're interested in a good book to help get you started then I recommend "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Certainly helped me grasp a few things.
Get this book! I thought I had a strong grasp on the exposure triangle when I bought this book: I mean, I knew that shutterspeed in conjunction with ISO and aperture resulted in properly exposed shots. But wow! While a beginner can learn a great deal from this book, I have referred to this book a LOT in the past few years. I go through it every few months just to refer some concepts. Great book.

Last edited by tele_pathic; 09-03-2013 at 05:32 AM.
09-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the site and to Pentax. Looks like you're off to a flying start. I also like the Top of Hawii Loa Ridge, and the sunset over the bay next to it.
09-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #6

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you. I should have that in my first post, but I hadn't quite had my coffee yet.
09-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Wow, you're off to a great start. You captured some nice shots right away.

I second the suggestion on "Understanding Exposure", it cuts to the chase on what are otherwise a few big hurdles to get past. It helped me and I send my sister a copy for her birthday.
09-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the welcome! I will definitely look into the book. I do need to understand exposure better so thank you for the suggestions! Glad to be here! The Sunset shot was actually a sunrise shot believe it or not(I need to add a better description in flickr). Look forward to future posts and discussions!

10-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Forum Member

Welcome to the forum & Pentax. I checked out your Flickr too & you have some great landscapes. Only thing I suggest (if you haven't already) is get a polarizer, it makes those blue skies bluer!

Jim
Flickr: wildstar84's Photostream
10-12-2013, 07:10 PM   #10

Welcome! And thanks for sharing some of your shots! I've been thinking about upgrading to a K30 or K50, and its nice to see some real life hands on shots with the camera. Beautiful pictures BTW.