Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

how to manage two k30 with lightroom

Hi guys,

I recently got my second k30 for a good price. Now i will shoot with two K30..

I wonder what should i do to manage the two images from two pentax? as the files and folders will be the same and there will be a chance I copy over and replace different files in same name folder and images names.

is there a way to manage it to prevent chance of overwrite files one day?

09-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You could change the file name prefix to differentiate between them.
09-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
many people have two cameras of the same kind same model, .. the file and folder names on each camera can be different.
09-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #4

Labels, my good friend, labels...
Label body A as Tyra > Label the SD Card Tyra > Label your import folder 'Tyra' > In Windows name the SD card Tyra
In the camera go to the Photographer Information menu and name the photographer Tyra. This will show up when you view the EXIF data

Label body B as Elle > Label the SD Card Elle > Label your import folder 'Elle' > In Windows name the SD card Elle
In the camera go to the Photographer Information menu and name the photographer Elle. This will show up when you view the EXIF data

I believe you can also change the folder names in the camera body as well.

Applications such as Bulk Rename Utility can rename your files for you on your computer, allowing you too append a prefix or suffix to the file name.

*PS I'm assuming you're using Windows.

09-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter

On my K5 cameras I have under the custom file name - "K5A_" and "K5B_"
Sometimes after formatting a SD card I get the same folder name, so this gives me the ability to know which camera the image came from.
09-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I thought pentax create folder according to the date, so if I take photos on same date with two camera, two folder name will be the same. Even the file name will be different, but there is a chance one day it generates as same names.

I usually sort all my folder by month, and put every folder under the month folder. same date folder is okay for me since i sort thing by date, but i try to prevent it from generating same file name.

I take in raw, so a file name is like this IMGP4353.. maybe I should customised to add an alphabet like AIMP4353 and BIMP4353 for both camera?

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
many people have two cameras of the same kind same model, .. the file and folder names on each camera can be different.
09-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
On my K5 cameras I have under the custom file name - "K5A_" and "K5B_"
Sometimes after formatting a SD card I get the same folder name, so this gives me the ability to know which camera the image came from.
Me too! Great minds and all that...

Does the K-30 allow prefix change? I know my Q doesn't so I still have to watch for issues with both of mine doing IMGP
09-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Very few complaints with the K30, but the lack of a naming prefix in the camera menu (as the K20D allows) is a real hassle. The K20D also doesn't reset the cumulative image numbers like the K30 and Q are prone to doing.

09-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Me too! Great minds and all that...

Does the K-30 allow prefix change? I know my Q doesn't so I still have to watch for issues with both of mine doing IMGP
No surprise there!
Welcome back!
09-05-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom has custom renaming features. The only custom naming option that might differentiate cameras between imports is their Serial Number. Sadly, at least for the K5 DNG file format, the SerialNumber field is left blank so it is useless.

Still, Lightroom "should" rename a duplicate filename in the same folder with a "-2".
I've run into the problem when swapping cards and filenames reset unexpectedly. (The K5 will start its file numbering based off the last image on the card, so swapping cards back and forth without erasing them first, can be problematic.)

Lightroom's renumbering can be a hassle and maybe not your preferred option, but it is better than losing files.

(You can verify easily by taking a photo on two cards and rename the file names to match. Then import to Lightroom and see what it does.
It should allow you to import from both cards it and rename upon "conflict".)
09-05-2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I have setup Lightroom to rename files upon import to my specs: 20130527PENTAX K-30-0003.dng. The first 8 digits are date: YYYMMDD, obviously the next part is the camera name, the last 4 digits are the sequence. Many parts of the exif data can be used in the file name including camera serial number, lens name. You could get into pretty long file names if you want to.

Here's two files in the same folder:
20130526PENTAX Q-0001.dng
20130526PENTAX K-30-0001.dng
Before I added the camera name to the file name I would either have to tell Lightroom to start at a different sequence number (on imports from a second camera on the same day) or Lightroom would add a -2 to the file name. If you had two of the same camera using the serial number would be an easy way to distinguish the files from each.

There is a lot of freedom to set this up however you want. I've used the date and sequence for years and it has worked well. Now with a second camera adding that camera name has simplified things.
09-06-2013, 01:56 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
i usually manage my own folder before import to lightroom, so I will prefer I can add an identification on file name of each camera. It seems k30 is not able to customise file name in camera..
09-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkang Quote
i usually manage my own folder before import to lightroom, so I will prefer I can add an identification on file name of each camera. It seems k30 is not able to customise file name in camera..
I'm glad this thread got posted. I picked up second K-30 body a couple weeks ago as they were on "clearance".... I hadn't even thought about this issue!
09-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Organizing photos can be daunting, but thanks to LR that it has so many ways in organizing them (i.e. file renaming, folder hierarchy,metadata analysis etc.), each person has it's own workflow when it comes to file management so I think you should consider or observe everyone's strategy and see/try to apply what works for you..
09-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
i see in pentax k30 i can only choose the folder in sd card to create as 'date' and 'pentax'.. anyone find a way to customise the folder or filename? maybe pentax can make it an upgrade in firmware?