Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-50 focusing speed with DA 55-300mm and battery question

Hello All,
For the first time in about 12 years, I am without an SLR or DSLR (or a medium format camera for that matter!).
I'm considering whether to upgrade to either a K-5II or a K-50. The K-50 looks like a lot of camera for the money, and will be playing second fiddle to "the little Fuji".

I have an 18-135mm and a DA 55-300mm.
Most recently, I owned a K-7.

Has anyone used both a K-7 and K-50 with either of those lenses? I'm interested in whether the focus speed has improved at all.

The camera is going to be used for hiking and wet weather work/snow work, and I'm looking at the 55-300mm in particular in terms of whether I should replace it with a 300mm F4 and be covered.

Also, with AA eneloop batteries, how many shots are people getting out of a K-50?

09-08-2013, 02:13 AM - 1 Like   #2

I have never used k50, but i have used KR with AA batteries, the number of shots depend on AF or MF(motor is one of the big power consumers), generally I can shoot for like 500(AF) to 800-1000(MF) shot before power runs out.

55-300mm is fine, upgrading to a camera with better cmos sensor means more acceptable ISO, so you can compensate the aperture difference between F5.6 and F4 by increasing ISO param. But for sharpness more expensive lens are better for sure...
09-08-2013, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Clarkey- While your questions are legitimate, you haven't given us quite enough information regarding how you use your cameras. Do you shoot primarily through the viewfinder or use LiveView? What is your shooting style - planned and methodical with only a few frames before turning the camera off, or do you keep the shutter clicking to follow something like sports action? Mostly natural light, or do you do a lot of flash (especially wireless P-TTL) photography?

Going from a K-r to a K-30 with a DA L 55-300, AF through the viewfinder seems quicker. But bear in mind that is subjective because most of the time I'm really only tweaking near infinity focus between shots with this lens. I am also the slow methodical type of shooter most of the time. I plan my shot, wait for the subject, and shoot. Usually my first shot is my best. I frequently turn my camera off, which gives the batteries a rest break and extends their life. And I don't use flash all that often.

My eneloops are just starting to display yellow after a weekend in Chicago attending the Tall Ships Festival in early August, several nature walks in the past month, some test shots to practice some new techniques (with a fair amount of flash use), and a fair amount of previews in the camera. I rarely add up my shots per battery because I don't need to change them often and I always have a spare set pre-loaded in another carrier. My guess with my shooting style? 300-500.
09-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Clarkey- While your questions are legitimate, you haven't given us quite enough information regarding how you use your cameras. Do you shoot primarily through the viewfinder or use LiveView? What is your shooting style - planned and methodical with only a few frames before turning the camera off, or do you keep the shutter clicking to follow something like sports action? Mostly natural light, or do you do a lot of flash (especially wireless P-TTL) photography?

Going from a K-r to a K-30 with a DA L 55-300, AF through the viewfinder seems quicker. But bear in mind that is subjective because most of the time I'm really only tweaking near infinity focus between shots with this lens. I am also the slow methodical type of shooter most of the time. I plan my shot, wait for the subject, and shoot. Usually my first shot is my best. I frequently turn my camera off, which gives the batteries a rest break and extends their life. And I don't use flash all that often.

My eneloops are just starting to display yellow after a weekend in Chicago attending the Tall Ships Festival in early August, several nature walks in the past month, some test shots to practice some new techniques (with a fair amount of flash use), and a fair amount of previews in the camera. I rarely add up my shots per battery because I don't need to change them often and I always have a spare set pre-loaded in another carrier. My guess with my shooting style? 300-500.
Hi there,
In terms of the eneloops, thank you both. That gives me a ballpark. Most of the time I am using AF, but all of my lenses have quickshift.

@JimJohnson
Mostly planned and methodical using the VF, similar to what you have described. I use the DA version of the 55-300 lens and quickshift quite a lot. The 55-300 is used for insect photos, and for landscape work. My current frustration with it is not on the optical side, rather lack of weather sealing and AF speed, especially when tweaking for insects and birds. I really hope (as I have for a number of years) that this model is subject to replacement with WR and a DC motor.

What I am interested in is the *actual* speed change between the previous models and the current ones when going from infinity to close (as well as minimise the racking time (and noise)). I think what I am going to do is take the 55-300 into a store and mount it on both models.