Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 05:59 AM   #1

Flash output question

Hello,
This is my first thread so please bare with me. I just upgraded from the K-r to the K-30 and I was trying to dial down the flash output as I have done a lot with the K-r. It won't change the compensation and it just moves to the different flash modes. I am confused and wonder if there is something wrong with my camera. I looked at the manual and it mentions the Custom setting on the camera and that also confuses me. I have never used the C setting at all and don't really understand it. Does it mean that I can only change the flash output in the Custom setting? Can someone please help me with this situation? I really appreciate it!

Last edited by soozieqt; 09-09-2013 at 07:01 AM.
09-09-2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soozieqt Quote
Hello,
This is my first thread so please bare with me. I just upgraded from the K-r to the K-30 and I was trying to dial down the flash output as I have done a lot with the K-r. It won't change the compensation and it just moves to the different flash modes. I am confused and wonder if there is something wrong with my camera. I looked at the manual and it mentions the Custom setting on the camera and that also confuses me. I have never used the C setting at all and don't really understand it. Does it mean that I can only change the flash output in the Custom setting? Can someone please help me with this situation? I really appreciate it!
Push the flash button on the back control panel then push the bottom button on the panel (WB). That should allow you to adjust the flash output with the rear wheel.
09-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #3

THe custom menu setting changes the increment of the EV steps - 1/2 or 1/3 f-stop.

The rear e-Dial should set the amount of compensation when you are in the Flash Function mode and select compensation (+/-).

What mode is the camera in? It probably doesn't work in Green mode or possibly when Auto ISO is active.

The K-30 manual says:

1 Press the four-way controller (left) in standby mode.
The Flash Mode setting screen appears.
2 Use the four-way controller (left-right)
to select a flash mode, and press
the ok button.
The camera is ready to take a picture.

For flash compensation:
1 Press the four-way controller (down) in Step 2 on p.67 (above).
2 Turn the rear e-dial.
The flash compensation value is set.
Press the green button to reset the value to
09-10-2013, 05:15 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you both for your responses. I feel very stupid about now. I messed with this for probably 4 different days trying to figure it out before even posting this question. And, of course, it was a brain fart on my part! I hadn't arrowed down to the compensation setting and for some reason thought I had all of those times! Talk about embarrassing! Once again, thanks for your replies! I appreciate it!

09-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soozieqt Quote
Thank you both for your responses. I feel very stupid about now. I messed with this for probably 4 different days trying to figure it out before even posting this question. And, of course, it was a brain fart on my part! I hadn't arrowed down to the compensation setting and for some reason thought I had all of those times! Talk about embarrassing! Once again, thanks for your replies! I appreciate it!
Don't worry -- everyone has had one of those moments with their camera.