Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What exactly does Pentax mean when

....they describe the K-50, ( I have one), as being WR?

Does anyone know what this really means in real life....Thanks, Robert

09-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
WR=weather resistant. With a WR lens offcourse. It means you can shoot in rain, snow, sandstoms, blizzards, hurricanes and the likes without worrying about your gear. But it`s not submergable.
09-09-2013, 10:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert in Canada Quote
....they describe the K-50, ( I have one), as being WR?

It means it can get rained on, snowed on, or pooped on without breaking or becoming damaged (as long as you're using a WR lens, not subjecting the camera to pressure, and keeping the battery/sd door seals clean of dust).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Light rain is OK (95% safe?). Heavier rain should be OK (80% safe?), don't do it for hours (60%?). Submerging it is unlikely to be OK (5% chance of it being unhurt).Sometimes the smallest bit of water can kill the water if you are unlucky, while others have dropped it in a river and it's been OK. This is a percantages/liklihood situation. Treat WR like insurance. In anything more than light rain I'd be thinking about using a baggie.

09-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert in Canada Quote
It means this.

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 09-10-2013 at 02:34 AM. Reason: link wasn't working
09-09-2013, 11:27 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
It means this.

-Heie
Says it all

And I have used my K5 in bitter coldness (shooting aurora`s for 2,5hrs in -25C and below) with a non WRlens.
09-10-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
... And I have used my K5 in bitter coldness (shooting aurora`s for 2,5hrs in -25C and below) with a non WRlens.
That sounds good! Really good!

09-10-2013, 03:14 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

I must add that I used the same trick as if I were in a hot and moist jungle: let the cam acclimatize. Letting the camera sit in a cool and non-airconditioned space works well to prevent condensation. Putting it in a bag also helps to retain the achieved temperature longer.

In this case I stored the K5 with the DA14 in a shoulderbag and were put in the outside woodstorage (kept it there the whole week when not in use). A fellow canonshooter had her mirror frozen, it wouldn`t come up anymore.
09-10-2013, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

I must add that I used the same trick as if I were in a hot and moist jungle: let the cam acclimatize. Letting the camera sit in a cool and non-airconditioned space works well to prevent condensation. Putting it in a bag also helps to retain the achieved temperature longer.
Aha. Thank's for the tip!

In this case I stored the K5 with the DA14 in a shoulderbag and were put in the outside woodstorage (kept it there the whole week when not in use). A fellow canonshooter had her mirror frozen, it wouldn`t come up anymore.
Don't buy Canon, folks!
09-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you all for this treasure trove of information....it is much appreciated....Robert
09-10-2013, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

I dropped my K-5 in a river and it killed it. That was stupid and obviously not recommended. But normal rain and things of that nature should be fine
09-11-2013, 01:11 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I've also had my K-x out in the rain, snow, and sub-zero temps many times. Still works perfectly fine.

Yes, I said K-x. No, it's not WR.
09-14-2013, 02:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Banned

I've used my *ist DL, as well as my old K1000 & Sears KSX Super film cams in all sorts of weather here in New England, and have yet to lose a camera. Of course, a towel, old bread bag, and a little common sense can mean the difference between a nice shot or a need to buy a new camera! Remember, weather sealing is fairly recent in the history of photography, yet there are tons of great pics in all sorts of weather and shooting conditions from waaaay back when!