Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2013, 02:12 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I just went to use my new-ish 3rd party IR remote and it doesn't work with my K-30 any more. It works on my K100D though, so it looks like 1.05 has made it incompatible.

Edit:- I've just found a >5yr old cheap 'Universal' remote with loads of buttons that I'm certain never worked with my then new K-30 which is why I bought the above one, now it works! Oh well.

Last edited by SteveB; 09-20-2013 at 07:50 AM.
09-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I just went to use my new-ish 3rd party IR remote and it doesn't work with my K-30 any more. It works on my K100D though, so it looks like 1.05 has made it incompatible.

Edit:- I've just found a >5yr old cheap 'Universal' remote with loads of buttons that I'm certain never worked with my then new K-30 which is why I bought the above one, now it works! Oh well.
I just tried my $0.99 one off ebay and works ok.
havent tried from far away, just maybe 1 feet away... So not sure if coverage is still the same though. But it at least works.
09-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
I just tried my $0.99 one off ebay and works ok.
havent tried from far away, just maybe 1 feet away... So not sure if coverage is still the same though. But it at least works.
No problems here with the firmware upgrade for the camera or my JCC remote it works just as it did before the latest firmware upgrade.
09-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I suppose it could. Which flash do you have? Does anyone know whether or not the FW can be taken back to the previous version? Certainly a good idea to hold on to your older versions if you need to revert.
The new firmware works fine with my metz 44 af1 in fact it may be working better, havent used it enough yet.

09-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #20

got that firm ware d/l done and working good..... thanx all
09-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #21

Firmware Update

Thank you for the instructions and all of the helpful commments. I am such a newbie, I am afraid I am still a bit unclear. I have a new Pentax K30. Love it! I determined that the firmware is version 1. So I would like to update. Scared of wrecking my camera! Instruction 3 on Pentax Forum directions says to copy the update file to a formatted SD card. Is the SD card the memory card? And how do I format it? Apologies for the likely ridiculousness of the questions. I did use Google to learn that formatting means basically erasing the card/decluttering the card. Kind regards,Marylou
09-29-2013, 06:41 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarylouJane Quote
Thank you for the instructions and all of the helpful commments. I am such a newbie, I am afraid I am still a bit unclear. I have a new Pentax K30. Love it! I determined that the firmware is version 1. So I would like to update. Scared of wrecking my camera! Instruction 3 on Pentax Forum directions says to copy the update file to a formatted SD card. Is the SD card the memory card? And how do I format it? Apologies for the likely ridiculousness of the questions. I did use Google to learn that formatting means basically erasing the card/decluttering the card. Kind regards,Marylou
Marylou, welcome to Pentax Forums. You'll find a lot of useless stuff here but rest assured that almost every question has an answer.

A "formatted" card simply means that the card you put into the camera is recognized and is useable by the camera. If it's not properly formatted, the camera will prompt you right away for your permission to format the card. So obviously you want to make sure it's formatted before you put the firmware file on the card otherwise you'll have to do it a second time (the card is erased in the formatting process).

Most everyone here recommends keeping the firmware current. If you need help accomplishing that, ask and someone will help.

09-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #23

Hi there,
just to report another smooth and successful update to v1.05. It seems now my K-30 works better with my Lexar SD card.

Stefano
09-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Marylou, welcome to Pentax Forums. You'll find a lot of useless stuff here but rest assured that almost every question has an answer.

A "formatted" card simply means that the card you put into the camera is recognized and is useable by the camera. If it's not properly formatted, the camera will prompt you right away for your permission to format the card. So obviously you want to make sure it's formatted before you put the firmware file on the card otherwise you'll have to do it a second time (the card is erased in the formatting process).

Most everyone here recommends keeping the firmware current. If you need help accomplishing that, ask and someone will help.
Thank you so much. Firmware update success!!! (smile)
10-01-2013, 02:06 AM   #25

I have a k-30 and i haven't change the firmware that brings by default. I have two questions, hopefully you could answer it. How can I see the current version of the firmware? and why should I change the firmware? (which are the improvements?)
10-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by aras2002 Quote
I have a k-30 and i haven't change the firmware that brings by default. I have two questions, hopefully you could answer it. How can I see the current version of the firmware? and why should I change the firmware? (which are the improvements?)
Turn the camera on

Select menu > maintenance (wrench) > use 4 way controller to the 3rd panel > move down to the firmware line and select it. You should now see the version of the firmware installed on you camera.

You only need to update to the latest firmware all previous fixes will be installed with the latest firmware version.

To see fixes go to the below link

Latest K-30 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
10-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #27
Inactive Account

I just bought mine with 18-135WR lens couple of weeks back. Thanks to the fellow Pentaxians for recommending the same. I love them. But the firmware version on mine is v1.0.0 . I wonder if mine is old stock or was it same case for everyone since I purchased it only couple of weeks back. Also is it mandatory for me to upgrade to v1.05 or I wont notice much difference and hence should stick with v1.0.0. The site states "Improved stability for general performance" but am bit sceptical about upgrading the firmware
10-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
I just bought mine with 18-135WR lens couple of weeks back. Thanks to the fellow Pentaxians for recommending the same. I love them. But the firmware version on mine is v1.0.0 . I wonder if mine is old stock or was it same case for everyone since I purchased it only couple of weeks back. Also is it mandatory for me to upgrade to v1.05 or I wont notice much difference and hence should stick with v1.0.0. The site states "Improved stability for general performance" but am bit sceptical about upgrading the firmware
The firmware version doesn't indicate anything regarding manufactured date. Your best indication is the cameras serial number since they are assigned sequentially at time of build.

Whether or not you upgrade your firmware is up to you. Just remember that firmware is released to both correct reported problems and improve the overall operation of the camera. I've not heard of any problems after installing v.1.05, I did it and have experienced no problems.
10-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
The firmware version doesn't indicate anything regarding manufactured date. Your best indication is the cameras serial number since they are assigned sequentially at time of build.

Whether or not you upgrade your firmware is up to you. Just remember that firmware is released to both correct reported problems and improve the overall operation of the camera. I've not heard of any problems after installing v.1.05, I did it and have experienced no problems.
It's probably a good thing to be a bit skeptical about upgrading firmware.... many people I know (not photo geeks, but radio geeks) wait a couple of weeks after new firmware is released before they do any upgrades. It gives them a chance to peruse online forums and determine if there are any problems induced by the new version... they call it the "bleeding" edge of technology.
10-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Thanks guyz. I have updated the firmware to 1.05 successfully....Phewwww....bit relieved now