Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2013, 02:30 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

K-30 Camera Profile for ACR

Well, I'm still playing around and have no conclusions as yet other than reds look more real to me, but if you use Photoshop CS6 (or earlier I reckon) and ACR to convert your K-30 DNG files, then this may be worth a look.........

Go to profiles and download the 'K-30 RawStudio Advanced Profile' file. On my Win7.64 setup I created a folder called 'Pentax K-30' in C:\Users\myName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles (where myName will be different on your PC) and copied the downloaded .dcp file into this folder.

Now when a K-30 DNG is loaded up into ACR, click on the 'Camera Calibration' tab and in the drop down in the 'Camera Profile' section, a new option called RawStudio Advanced Profile' will be available. Select that and see the difference to Adobe Standard.

It's possible that the dcp file is only supposed to be used in RawStudio, but I'm not so sure - we'll see. EDIT:- they're compatible, It implements the DCP spec of Adobe for DNG colour profiles evidently.

Last edited by SteveB; 09-14-2013 at 03:48 AM.
09-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
COOL! I use Photoshop Elements 11 (and occasionally LR4). PSE's ACR module now has 3 choices - embedded, Adobe Standard, and as mentioned above, RawStudio Advanced Profile.

As I am using Adobe editing software and shoot RAW (DNG), I have my K-30's colorspace switched from sRGB to Adobe RGB. I do one conversion to sRGB when I save a jpeg out of my editor. I'll have to see what impacts the 3 available profiles have on my images. I have complained (as has others) that my reds tend to be oversaturated compared to greens and blues - especially when the image is primarily red. The oversaturation results in a loss of detail. I am hoping a profile specific to the K-30 helps.
09-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With the RawStudio profile I'm finding deep reds are more saturated but with no loss of detail. Skin tones good. Pastel shades good. Reds do look more like I remember the scene.
09-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Well, I'm still playing around and have no conclusions as yet other than reds look more real to me, but if you use Photoshop CS6 (or earlier I reckon) and ACR to convert your K-30 DNG files, then this may be worth a look.........

Go to profiles and download the 'K-30 RawStudio Advanced Profile' file. On my Win7.64 setup I created a folder called 'Pentax K-30' in C:\Users\myName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles (where myName will be different on your PC) and copied the downloaded .dcp file into this folder.

Now when a K-30 DNG is loaded up into ACR, click on the 'Camera Calibration' tab and in the drop down in the 'Camera Profile' section, a new option called RawStudio Advanced Profile' will be available. Select that and see the difference to Adobe Standard.

It's possible that the dcp file is only supposed to be used in RawStudio, but I'm not so sure - we'll see. EDIT:- they're compatible, It implements the DCP spec of Adobe for DNG colour profiles evidently.
Hi Steve, I may be stupid, but where do I find 'Profiles' with LR3?

Thanks

Tuggie76

09-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't use LR and anyway Adobe seem to keep changing locations for various files like these .dcp ones. A lot of internet info is wrong about such things due to this. I just put it in a few until it worked. I was helped by a great file search program called Search Everything that gave me the folder locations for all the .dcp files (just type in .dcp into the search box of SE) on my C: drive in about 15 seconds.
09-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks Steve, it shows for K200d but no K30.

Tuggie76
11-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Thanks Steve, it shows for K200d but no K30.

Tuggie76
Try searching for "K-30" on the page. There it is.
11-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

This is great. thank for sharing! I did some portraits few days ago and the client select round, the client told me her eyes didn't look green. I told her it's because the whitebalance wasn't properly set yet, but I had in mind to give the eyes an extra pop, because I couldn't make them appear green. With this they immediately popped - and the skin tones look better as well! Awesome

11-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
This is great. thank for sharing! I did some portraits few days ago and the client select round, the client told me her eyes didn't look green. I told her it's because the whitebalance wasn't properly set yet, but I had in mind to give the eyes an extra pop, because I couldn't make them appear green. With this they immediately popped - and the skin tones look better as well! Awesome
Did you try the other two preset? The "PENTAX_K-30-camera.dcp" looks fine on my hollow thinkpad screen.
11-30-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Yeah, I downloaded them as well!