Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
Is that the red light that glows when I try to focus on dim light conditions or its something else that am missing ?
I believe the focus assist light is green.

09-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not trying to sway you toward the k-30 over the T5i (700D) and it is your decision as to which one suits you better. In my experience using friend's Canon and Nikon DLSR there is no doubt in my mind that the Canon 700D will likely auto-focus faster than Pentax models like k-30 (I have the k-5), but if you are just a casual shooter, the percentage of "focused" shots are not that great. Besides, I personally like the interface and ergonomics of the Pentax k-30 (and k-5) better than any of the entry level Canon models (600D, 650D and 700D). Whatever you choose, good luck.
09-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Not trying to sway you toward the k-30 over the T5i (700D) and it is your decision as to which one suits you better. In my experience using friend's Canon and Nikon DLSR there is no doubt in my mind that the Canon 700D will likely auto-focus faster than Pentax models like k-30 (I have the k-5), but if you are just a casual shooter, the percentage of "focused" shots are not that great. Besides, I personally like the interface and ergonomics of the Pentax k-30 (and k-5) better than any of the entry level Canon models (600D, 650D and 700D). Whatever you choose, good luck.
@Aleonx3: Thanks for the advise. Yeah, I liked the interface and build quality of Pentax better. With Canon 700D, I got an headache with viewfinder trying to focus on the readings in there. Anyways I just wanted to know if the image quality with Pentax K30 will be better than Canon 700D ? I just wanted to know if the $250 worth for the different on Canon 700D really worth it
09-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

@Aleonx3: Thanks for the advise. Yeah, I liked the interface and build quality of Pentax better. With Canon 700D, I got an headache with viewfinder trying to focus on the readings in there. Anyways I just wanted to know if the image quality with Pentax K30 will be better than Canon 700D ? I just wanted to know if the $250 worth for the different on Canon 700D really worth it
The reason k-30 is cheaper because Pentax is replacing this with the newer (and more recent) model K-50 which is more in line with the traditional model styling. I personally like the k-30 style design better (more bold) than the k-50, but YMMV. If touch screen and flip out LCD features are more important to you, may be the extra $250 is worth it plus better video features; otherwise, for just a notion of faster focus in low light probably not. Again, I personally find those touch screen and flip out LCD feature are merely gimmicks and likely "lower" the sophistication level (like beginner) of the camera. If your hope is to learn more about photography and how to take great photos - then k-30 is probably the best tool you can find to let yourself build up your knowledge as the degree of control are readily available.

09-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #20
mee
Veteran Member

On the K-30 the AF assist light (green) is enabled by default.

Ensure it is enabled by pressing the MENU button, pressing the right directional button to highlight the '2' label on screen (top of screen), pressing the down directional button to highlight the 'AF Settings' on screen, pressing the right directional button again to bring up the AF Settings on screen.

Here, ensure a checkmark is in the box labeled 'AF Assist Light'

If not, scroll down to it and press either a right or left directional button (either suffice), then press the MENU button twice to leave the menu settings.

Also, if it wasn't enabled when you got the camera, that indicates to me the camera might have been handled before you got it. Which might also perhaps explain the dust on the sensor...
09-16-2013, 06:54 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
On the K-30 the AF assist light (green) is enabled by default.

Ensure it is enabled by pressing the MENU button, pressing the right directional button to highlight the '2' label on screen (top of screen), pressing the down directional button to highlight the 'AF Settings' on screen, pressing the right directional button again to bring up the AF Settings on screen.

Here, ensure a checkmark is in the box labeled 'AF Assist Light'

If not, scroll down to it and press either a right or left directional button (either suffice), then press the MENU button twice to leave the menu settings.

Also, if it wasn't enabled when you got the camera, that indicates to me the camera might have been handled before you got it. Which might also perhaps explain the dust on the sensor...
Thanks Mee. I also asked the store on why the camera box does not come sealed although the contents inside are sealed though. They stated that the manufacturer does not seal the entire box. Even for Canon 700D, the box was not sealed. Not sure if its normal though.
09-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Is that the red light that glows when I try to focus on dim light conditions or its something else that am missing ?
It's a green light.

09-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The reason k-30 is cheaper because Pentax is replacing this with the newer (and more recent) model K-50 which is more in line with the traditional model styling. I personally like the k-30 style design better (more bold) than the k-50, but YMMV. If touch screen and flip out LCD features are more important to you, may be the extra $250 is worth it plus better video features; otherwise, for just a notion of faster focus in low light probably not. Again, I personally find those touch screen and flip out LCD feature are merely gimmicks and likely "lower" the sophistication level (like beginner) of the camera. If your hope is to learn more about photography and how to take great photos - then k-30 is probably the best tool you can find to let yourself build up your knowledge as the degree of control are readily available.
@aleonx3. Thank you for clearing that out and even I felt the same. I will check with the store this weekend to see on the waiting period to get K30 in stock. Its bad that they don't have the K30 with 18-55mm WR lens kit but rather with 18-135mm WR which is bit over my budget. I would get it with Sigma 17-70mm Macro at this point as I had before and then can upgrade to 18-135mm WR any time in future. But I believe regarding picture quality, I did not get straight answer though between the Canon and Pentax Does that mean, they are both similar?
09-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

@aleonx3. Thank you for clearing that out and even I felt the same. I will check with the store this weekend to see on the waiting period to get K30 in stock. Its bad that they don't have the K30 with 18-55mm WR lens kit but rather with 18-135mm WR which is bit over my budget. I would get it with Sigma 17-70mm Macro at this point as I had before and then can upgrade to 18-135mm WR any time in future. But I believe regarding picture quality, I did not get straight answer though between the Canon and Pentax Does that mean, they are both similar?
I think most here will give a vote to the Sigma. It's quite a good deal they are giving you and unless you plan to take this camera into inclement weather, it's the best option you have. The Canon doesn't really come all that close to the Pentax in image quality (yes, I'm biased but my statement has factual basis, too).
09-16-2013, 07:34 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Regarding the picture quality, it would be subjective, they are both new and so probably similar depending on the lens used. Again, I like Pentax because I think the 16MB Sony sensor is probably one of the top performers (same as used in k-5, k-5II, k-50 and Nikon D5100 etc.). I am an event photography, so I am more interested in realism (as close as possible to what I see), Pentax tend to get better color than similar level of Canon (again IMHO, nothing scientific). The first thing I do when I get my camera is to turn the picture quality to "nature" instead of "vibrant" which a lot of other cameras defaults to. Another area is default metering used in Pentax tend to slightly under-expose than Canon, therefore, if you don't do anything on both camera and just taking some casual shots, you will generally find Canon shots are nice, bright and color is rich (which most people will generally fall for). There is a good reason for slightly under-expose approach as it is to protect blown highlights, which (to me) is rather important. Back to the original question about the dust on the sensor; do you mean you see the dirt (via the viewfinder) or are you seeing the dirt (blur blotches) in the picture that you have taken. Both can generally be fixed using a jet blower into the mirror and the sensor (once the mirror is up). Hope it helps...
09-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Regarding the picture quality, it would be subjective, they are both new and so probably similar depending on the lens used. Again, I like Pentax because I think the 16MB Sony sensor is probably one of the top performers (same as used in k-5, k-5II, k-50 and Nikon D5100 etc.). I am an event photography, so I am more interested in realism (as close as possible to what I see), Pentax tend to get better color than similar level of Canon (again IMHO, nothing scientific). The first thing I do when I get my camera is to turn the picture quality to "nature" instead of "vibrant" which a lot of other cameras defaults to. Another area is default metering used in Pentax tend to slightly under-expose than Canon, therefore, if you don't do anything on both camera and just taking some casual shots, you will generally find Canon shots are nice, bright and color is rich (which most people will generally fall for). There is a good reason for slightly under-expose approach as it is to protect blown highlights, which (to me) is rather important. Back to the original question about the dust on the sensor; do you mean you see the dirt (via the viewfinder) or are you seeing the dirt (blur blotches) in the picture that you have taken. Both can generally be fixed using a jet blower into the mirror and the sensor (once the mirror is up). Hope it helps...
It was like blotches or dull patch like on the pictures especially visible in blue sky backgrounds. It was not visible in the indoor pictures and that is the reason I could not find it in the first place the soon I bought the camera.I did clean the lens with the jet blower but the dust might indeed on the sensor which I was bit afraid to touch.
09-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #27
Veteran Member

It was like blotches or dull patch like on the pictures especially visible in blue sky backgrounds. It was not visible in the indoor pictures and that is the reason I could not find it in the first place the soon I bought the camera.I did clean the lens with the jet blower but the dust might indeed on the sensor which I was bit afraid to touch.
I had the exact same problem and, yes, it shows up in blue sky and often is not noticed elsewhere. I couldn't blow it off the sensor and so resorted to buying what I think was a six pack of sensor cleaning swabs. They are easy to use and it worked perfectly.
09-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
dust on the sensor will only show up when you use smaller aperture(f11-f22), when you are shooting the sky the camera would automatically choose a small aperture for you, assuming you are in AUTO mode, indoors where the lights are dimmer the camera would choose a larger aperture(f2.8-f4) for you, that's why you didn't see the dust when you were testing the camera out in store, you can always buy a rocket blower and ask the store to clean the sensor with it before you leave the store and by doing so also teaches you proper ways to clean the sensor.

Remember, dust in lens generally speaking don't affect image all that much, the ones that you can see in your pictures are usually dust on your sensor.
09-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
dust on the sensor will only show up when you use smaller aperture(f11-f22), when you are shooting the sky the camera would automatically choose a small aperture for you, assuming you are in AUTO mode, indoors where the lights are dimmer the camera would choose a larger aperture(f2.8-f4) for you, that's why you didn't see the dust when you were testing the camera out in store, you can always buy a rocket blower and ask the store to clean the sensor with it before you leave the store and by doing so also teaches you proper ways to clean the sensor.

Remember, dust in lens generally speaking don't affect image all that much, the ones that you can see in your pictures are usually dust on your sensor.
Wow, I didn't realize that I have not shot anything above f8 (probably f11 a couple of times) for a long time (like years)...
09-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #30
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Wow, I didn't realize that I have not shot anything above f8 (probably f11 a couple of times) for a long time (like years)...
That really helps. Thank you. For Canon 700D, I even asked the person in store to fit the lens for me just to make sure the dust does nt enter the sensor as they stated it was the case in Pentax which I really doubt. But the person advised that I can do it at home with camera facing down to avoid the dust. So at this point, am more inclining towards getting the K30 with Sigma 17-70mm lens and return Canon 700D and I hope they refund the differential amount ($250). If they don't, then other option is to go with K50 with 18-55mm WR lens which is similar price range or I need to spend another $150 to have K30 with 18-135mm WR lens which is around $1099.