Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
@aleonx3. Thank you for clearing that out and even I felt the same. I will check with the store this weekend to see on the waiting period to get K30 in stock. Its bad that they don't have the K30 with 18-55mm WR lens kit but rather with 18-135mm WR which is bit over my budget. I would get it with Sigma 17-70mm Macro at this point as I had before and then can upgrade to 18-135mm WR any time in future. But I believe regarding picture quality, I did not get straight answer though between the Canon and Pentax Does that mean, they are both similar?
The answer is that it depends. If you compare their sensors with DXO Mark sensor compare, you will find that the K30 sensor kills the 700D sensor -- a score of 79 for the K30, a score of 61 for the 700D. Key points are that the K30 has 2 stops more of dynamic range at low iso and has a sports iso score (the point at which dynamic range drops below 9 EVs) of 1129 versus 681 for the Canon.

Now, that said, Canon has a really good jpeg engine and you are most likely to see a difference between them if you shoot RAW and do some post processing. That said, this is a big difference and one that should be visible in the final image. It should mean an extra stop of high iso shooting for one thing (my experience with the K30 is that iso 3200 is usable -- above that and you have to do a little noise reduction work). Canon's sensor tech is just a generation behind Sony's and it really does show in quite a few situations.

Last edited by Rondec; 09-17-2013 at 07:03 AM.
09-17-2013, 04:59 AM   #32

@Aleonx3: Thanks for the advise. Yeah, I liked the interface and build quality of Pentax better. With Canon 700D, I got an headache with viewfinder trying to focus on the readings in there. Anyways I just wanted to know if the image quality with Pentax K30 will be better than Canon 700D ? I just wanted to know if the $250 worth for the different on Canon 700D really worth it
Anyways I just wanted to know if the image quality with Pentax K30 will be better than Canon 700D ? I just wanted to know if the $250 worth for the different on Canon 700D really worth it
As others said, with Pentax K-30 the IQ should be better than Canon 700D in many cases (and vice versa for video). I'd choose former over the latter even if the price would be the same.
Besides, $699 for K-30, with SIgma 17-70 to boot, is a steal (maybe that dust was a reason for the bargain - someone at the store noticed it and lowered the price before you bought it?). Got mine for ~US$900 with less convenient 18-55 WR kit zoom last year.
09-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #33
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Am planning to take Canon 700D to the store today and would initiate the exchange. Hopefully they should agree to swap back to Pentax K30 as per the policy. Also one issue I failed to mention that I found with Pentax K30 is the shadow cast when using flash. A semi circle found on the bottom of the picture. I did not find that issue with Canon 700D with the same object, distance and light condition. Is it due to 17-70mm lens in Pentax K30 or any settings that I failed to configure on Pentax?
09-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Am planning to take Canon 700D to the store today and would initiate the exchange. Hopefully they should agree to swap back to Pentax K30 as per the policy. Also one issue I failed to mention that I found with Pentax K30 is the shadow cast when using flash. A semi circle found on the bottom of the picture. I did not find that issue with Canon 700D with the same object, distance and light condition. Is it due to 17-70mm lens in Pentax K30 or any settings that I failed to configure on Pentax?
Sure sounds like you have the large lens blocking the built-in flash. Is this only happening at the shorter focal lengths of the zoom?

09-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #35
Veteran Member

That Sigma 17-70 got a huge hood, or even without the hood the front element is rather big, so it will cast semi circle shadow when you use the build in flash(if you have read the user manual there is a chapter on it), that's not much you can do about that in either Canon or Pentax system, if you mount the same Sigma 17-70 lens(you can also get it in Canon mount) on 700D, I bet you any money that the build in flash will cast a shadow too...That's the price you pay for using a long/large lens, usual work around is to get an external flash

Take the hood off and use the build in flash, see it it can work on the wide end(17mm-20mm), I remember using the kit DA18-55WR with the hood which is tiny compare to the Sigma 17-70 @18mm end and it still cast a shadow...I know it is annoying, but it's the same across the system Pentax/Canon/Nikon
09-17-2013, 06:54 PM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
That Sigma 17-70 got a huge hood, or even without the hood the front element is rather big, so it will cast semi circle shadow when you use the build in flash(if you have read the user manual there is a chapter on it), that's not much you can do about that in either Canon or Pentax system, if you mount the same Sigma 17-70 lens(you can also get it in Canon mount) on 700D, I bet you any money that the build in flash will cast a shadow too...That's the price you pay for using a long/large lens, usual work around is to get an external flash

Take the hood off and use the build in flash, see it it can work on the wide end(17mm-20mm), I remember using the kit DA18-55WR with the hood which is tiny compare to the Sigma 17-70 @18mm end and it still cast a shadow...I know it is annoying, but it's the same across the system Pentax/Canon/Nikon
That makes sense. Thanks elpolodiablo. I dont use hood while taking pictures with the flash although I still don't get on what conditions to use the hood . But I couldn't remember if I had the shadow cast issue on the wide end of the lens. Also another thing is, I believe there are two versions of Sigma 17-70mm. The one I got is Sigma 17-70mm F2.8/4.5 and the other one is Sigma 17-70mm F2.8/4. Not sure if quality wise both are the same.
09-17-2013, 10:06 PM   #37
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I returned the Canon 700D today and then ordered for Pentax K30 with 18-135mm WR lens kit. I have requested for blue but they are not sure if the kit is available in blue. Apparently they don't provide refund and hence I ended up spending another $100 for the 18-135mm WR kit. The total cost of the kit is $1050. Not sure if its worth the cost but that is the only option I had. Thanks everyone for helping me out

09-18-2013, 05:32 AM   #38
Veteran Member

I returned the Canon 700D today and then ordered for Pentax K30 with 18-135mm WR lens kit. I have requested for blue but they are not sure if the kit is available in blue. Apparently they don't provide refund and hence I ended up spending another $100 for the 18-135mm WR kit. The total cost of the kit is $1050. Not sure if its worth the cost but that is the only option I had. Thanks everyone for helping me out
You are getting a very good camera and lens at a pretty good price. I paid more and am happy with what I have. BTW, that version of the Sigma lens has been out of production for a few years.
09-19-2013, 07:28 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll be very happy with that combo!
09-25-2013, 03:20 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just received my K30 with 18-135mm kit yesterday. Am trying to find out if it has any dust or dead pixels. I tried focussing on the clear sky but its unable to shoot since it cannot autofocus. Even on the plain wall its unable to shoot. Is there any option to force it to shoot even though it cannot focus or I need to change it to manual and try? Could nt remember if I had issue with the old K30 which I had initially since the sky was not clear at that time. Also is there any easy way to check the dead pixel on the camera?
09-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #41
Veteran Member

You can change it in the menu, there is an option in the AF settings that prevents or allows you to take photos even if focus is not achieved. You can also simply use MF.
The best way to check for dust is to set your camera to Av mode, f22, zoom the lens to 18mm aim at the bright sky, and use MF to focus as closely as possible. If you see black spots, its probably dust. You can try the dust removal feature in the menu (you can even set it up as a startup action), or you can try using a rocket blower. Dust will show up eventually, its unavoidable and its not a camera-killer. Just look at some sensor cleaning threads on this forum. Good luck, hope you are happy with your new camera
09-25-2013, 07:30 PM   #42

Besides of K-30, I am using 650D which i think 700D is a little bit improved from the 650D.
I love to take shots by K-30 than 650D as it has a lot of advance functions which canon don't have.

You are new to DSLR so we could give you the information for making decision.
09-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #43
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You can change it in the menu, there is an option in the AF settings that prevents or allows you to take photos even if focus is not achieved. You can also simply use MF.
The best way to check for dust is to set your camera to Av mode, f22, zoom the lens to 18mm aim at the bright sky, and use MF to focus as closely as possible. If you see black spots, its probably dust. You can try the dust removal feature in the menu (you can even set it up as a startup action), or you can try using a rocket blower. Dust will show up eventually, its unavoidable and its not a camera-killer. Just look at some sensor cleaning threads on this forum. Good luck, hope you are happy with your new camera
Thanks Na. I actually had the similar patches in the picture when I took some test shots over the sky. But I did not want to return the camera and then wait for couple more weeks or upgrade to another model as I did before. Hence I used the rocket blower to blow the lens and the sensor. After that the patch vanished Was really afraid though while doing it since this was the first time and looking into the sensor. It was a good experience but am still not convinced why am I getting the dust only on Pentax cameras and not on the Canon but overall am happy with the outcome Will take the camera out for a spin this weekend to see how the 18-135mm lens will compare to the 17-70mm Sigma that i had before. Thanks again.
09-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by focusian Quote
Besides of K-30, I am using 650D which i think 700D is a little bit improved from the 650D.
I love to take shots by K-30 than 650D as it has a lot of advance functions which canon don't have.

You are new to DSLR so we could give you the information for making decision.
Am feeling great to be part of the Pentax family as am getting lot of help from fellow Pentaxians. Thanks Focusian.
09-26-2013, 05:25 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Thanks Na. I actually had the similar patches in the picture when I took some test shots over the sky. But I did not want to return the camera and then wait for couple more weeks or upgrade to another model as I did before. Hence I used the rocket blower to blow the lens and the sensor. After that the patch vanished Was really afraid though while doing it since this was the first time and looking into the sensor. It was a good experience but am still not convinced why am I getting the dust only on Pentax cameras and not on the Canon but overall am happy with the outcome Will take the camera out for a spin this weekend to see how the 18-135mm lens will compare to the 17-70mm Sigma that i had before. Thanks again.
Would you be able to show us the sample photo you took that you said you have patch likely due to dust or something. On the topic of not able to trip the shutter when you point the camera to the sky, go to the MENU-C (customs functions) go to AF.S setting and check whether you have focus-priority (default) or release priority. And likewise for AF.C setting. You will notice that the default on the AF-C is 'release priority'. Therefore, in order to trip the shutter without having to worry about focus or not, change shooting mode to AF.C, then you should be able to get the photo even though it is not in-focus. Again, if you can share a photo showing the problem, the folks here may be able to help.

Enjoy your K-30 combo with DA18-135mm, I like mine with my K-5. I am planning on getting a used K-30 and dedicated it for m42 lenses as I have many of lenses waiting to be tried and tested.