Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Not sure to swith from K30 to Canon EOS 700D

Hello all,

I bought Pentax K30 with 17-70mm sigma lens couple of weeks back. Due to the dust issue in the sensor, I had to return it to the store where I purchased it last weekend. Since they did not have K30 or K50 in stock I had went with Canon 700D with 18-55mm IS STM kit by paying extra AU$250. I did not like the feel of Canon 700D as much as of Pentax K30 although 700D feels bit light and the auto focus is good especially in dark. Am new to DSLR and hence am planning to switch to 700D. I just need the DSLR to learn about photography and am concerned more about the stills. I am not too keen on taking lot of videos though. Pentax K30 looks like a excellent pick in reviews and I liked the build. But on picture quality, I could come to conclusion since I did not get chance to take picture and compare on both using same location and light condition. I can return 700D as per 14 days return policy they have and hence wanted to check if I should get K30 even though the wait period is two weeks for the stock to arrive or stick with Canon 700D. Please advise.

Regards,
Jai

09-16-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What dust issue? All digital cameras accumulate dust on the sensor over time. There are cleaning kits available (rocket blower, the Pentax "lollipop", and fluid solutions) as well as service centres that offer cleaning (for a fee, or maybe within warranty). The Canon will also get dust on the sensor eventually. Or was there dust on there before you even started using it? In that case, an exchange would make sense.

Now, Canon is not a bad company, for sure. But recently they have been putting their focus on video, and you generally get more bang per buck from Pentax. With Canon, it kind of only makes sense if you go with the top-tier models (because Pentax isn't even competing in that range at the moment). But the good thing with Canon is that you can use a simple adapter to get Pentax lenses on it

Its a tough call. Can you get your money back and buy a K-30 (or K-50) at a different store?

K-30: WR - get a WR lens with it and you can go out in rain. Great for travel, great if you live in a place where bad weather is common
TAv mode (great for photographers who want a little more automation than M, but still keep a lot of control over their photos)
In-body image stabilization - means it works with all lenses, even ones that predate AF
Pentax lens compatibility, lots of great prime lenses, legacy lenses. Can get great IQ without spending thousands on lenses
Great 16MP sensor, live view has focus peaking
Compact and solidly built, has convenient Pentax green button

Canon 700D:18MP instead of 16MP, might be useful for poster prints, but its an insignificant difference
Swivel screen - something I miss in Pentax models, but some people don't like it. Its subjective
Video capabilities - Canon beats Pentax in the video
Flash system - more convenient than Pentax flashes at the moment (though, Pentax has recently announced some new flashes)
Support - Canon is a bigger brand, so there are more service centres and more third party products like lenses and flashes available

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-16-2013 at 04:12 AM.
09-16-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
What dust issue? All digital cameras accumulate dust on the sensor over time. There are cleaning kits available (rocket blower, the Pentax "lollipop", and fluid solutions) as well as service centres that offer cleaning (for a fee, or maybe within warranty). The Canon will also get dust on the sensor eventually. Or was there dust on there before you even started using it? In that case, an exchange would make sense.

Now, Canon is not a bad company, for sure. But recently they have been putting their focus on video, and you generally get more bang per buck from Pentax. With Canon, it kind of only makes sense if you go with the top-tier models (because Pentax isn't even competing in that range at the moment). But the good thing with Canon is that you can use a simple adapter to get Pentax lenses on it

Its a tough call. Can you get your money back and buy a K-30 (or K-50) at a different store?

K-30: WR - get a WR lens with it and you can go out in rain. Great for travel, great if you live in a place where bad weather is common
TAv mode (great for photographers who want a little more automation than M, but still keep a lot of control over their photos)
In-body image stabilization - means it works with all lenses, even ones that predate AF
Pentax lens compatibility, lots of great prime lenses, legacy lenses. Can get great IQ without spending thousands on lenses
Great 16MP sensor, live view has focus peaking
Compact and solidly built, has convenient Pentax green button

Canon 700D:18MP instead of 16MP, might be useful for poster prints, but its an insignificant difference
Swivel screen - something I miss in Pentax models, but some people don't like it. Its subjective
Video capabilities - Canon beats Pentax in the video
Flash system - more convenient than Pentax flashes at the moment (though, Pentax has recently announced some new flashes)
Support - Canon is a bigger brand, so there are more service centres and more third party products like lenses and flashes available
@Na Horuk: Thank you for your suggestion. Am really not sure whether the dust was already on the sensor since it was visible only when I took some outdoor snaps of the blue sky. I was advised that the dust might have entered while fixing the lens initially but I really doubt it. With K30, they have only 18-135mm WR lens kit but its bit out of my budget for now and hence I opted for Sigma 17-70mm kit (Non weather sealed lens). But with K50, they have it with 18-55mm WR kit (but lens need to be restocked) but am not sure if its worth the extra cost than K30. Am bit concerned about the image quality between K30, Canon 700D and K50. Unfortunately I can exchange for a different model but not for full refund.
09-16-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
Am really not sure whether the dust was already on the sensor since it was visible only when I took some outdoor snaps of the blue sky.
Normal... This is where it normally shows up due to smaller apertures when pointing at bright clear skies..

QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
I was advised that the dust might have entered while fixing the lens initially but I really doubt it.
No, this is how dust enters... Get used to it.. It's a fact of life with ILCs.

No dslr is immune to getting dust entering the body chamber via the action of changing lenses. Not one.
If the camera store agreed to take the K-30 back and offer you a Canon for $250 extra, I'd say they are the winners.

You will get dust in the Canon too

PS: Watch out for hot pixels showing up in shadow areas when shooting in low light. Also normal

09-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you get a good price on a k-30 initially, why trade in for the Canon with extra money (probably higher margin for the store)? Just curious....
09-16-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not understanding something. If the Canon is AUD 250 more than the K-30/Sigma combination then the K-30/18 - 135 WR kit must still be less money than the Canon. No way the Canon is as good all around as the K-30/18 - 135 WR combo (IMHO).
09-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-30 w/ Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 kit prized at AU$699

Pentax K30 including Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens | DigiDIRECT Australia

700D w/ 18-55 IS STM sells for AU$858 in the same shop...so where is that $250 difference coming from?

Canon EOS 700D Single Lens Kit with EF-S 18-55mm STM Lens | DigiDIRECT Australia

I can not speak for Canon 700D but I had owned K-5 for almost 3 years now and it's pretty much the same sensor as the one in K-30, and I am very happy with the image out if that. That Sigma 17-70 is not bad, I had one for a short period of time but decided it's not up to the stand of my broken Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in terms of speed(max aperture) and image quality so I let it go, but as a starter lens it's better than the standard kit 18-55

BTW, the problem with dust on your sensor? Get use to it, it's unavoidable for a interchangeable lens camera, you just have to learn to clean it properly.

09-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I would prefer the K30 to the T5i -- tighter construction, dual control wheels, faster fps, better viewfinder (pentaprism versus pentamirror), more photography friendly modes.

The one caveat is that if you are big into videography, the T5i is a better camera for that, also, if there are specific Canon lenses that you are interested in, that Pentax doesn't offer (300mm f2.8, etc).

Good luck!
09-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I've never used either of those cameras other than just tried them out in the shop.
Apart from comparing image quality, you're in a good position to make a decision - you've had them both at home to try.
I think ergonomics and the layout of the menu system is very important. You already said you like the feel of the K30 better, but how about the menu and how it responds?
I think Pentax cameras are ergonomically better than Canon with a well laid out menu system along with the two wheels. That's subjective though.
Video isn't that important to you. How about the flip out LCD screen on the Canon? Do you use it much? Think about when you might use it. Personally I don't care for video or flip out screen, but have tried the video on my K-5 on a couple of occasions.
I never take my camera out with the purpose to take a video, but it's there if I need it.

Both cameras will produce excellent images and are good cameras to learn with and should provide you with a few good years service.
How do you see yourself growing as a photographer?
Remember that we often invest in a system rather than a particular camera, therefore look at lenses that you might think about buying for subjects you're interested in.
Pentax lacks a 70-200, although can be found in third party mounts, but does have the 60-250 or 50-135.
If you're into birding/wildlife, Pentax does lack in long lenses. Many, including myself, opt for a Sigma 50-500, 150-500, or the older 170-500 which I have.
If you're the outdoors type then the WR K30 and WR lenses are a sensible choice.
Additionally, if you like to travel light then Pentax has some incredible prime lenses.
But that opens up the primes v zoom discussion.
09-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elpolodiablo Quote
K-30 w/ Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5 kit prized at AU$699

Pentax K30 including Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro Lens | DigiDIRECT Australia

700D w/ 18-55 IS STM sells for AU$858 in the same shop...so where is that $250 difference coming from?

Canon EOS 700D Single Lens Kit with EF-S 18-55mm STM Lens | DigiDIRECT Australia

I can not speak for Canon 700D but I had owned K-5 for almost 3 years now and it's pretty much the same sensor as the one in K-30, and I am very happy with the image out if that. That Sigma 17-70 is not bad, I had one for a short period of time but decided it's not up to the stand of my broken Tamron 17-50 f2.8 in terms of speed(max aperture) and image quality so I let it go, but as a starter lens it's better than the standard kit 18-55

BTW, the problem with dust on your sensor? Get use to it, it's unavoidable for a interchangeable lens camera, you just have to learn to clean it properly.
I bought Pentax K30 with 17-70m Sigma Macro lens for $699. They have the 18-135mm WR kit for $1,099.95 which is bit over my budget for now. Canon 700D cost around $950 with 18-55mm STM IS lens kit.
09-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
I've never used either of those cameras other than just tried them out in the shop.
Apart from comparing image quality, you're in a good position to make a decision - you've had them both at home to try.
I think ergonomics and the layout of the menu system is very important. You already said you like the feel of the K30 better, but how about the menu and how it responds?
I think Pentax cameras are ergonomically better than Canon with a well laid out menu system along with the two wheels. That's subjective though.
Video isn't that important to you. How about the flip out LCD screen on the Canon? Do you use it much? Think about when you might use it. Personally I don't care for video or flip out screen, but have tried the video on my K-5 on a couple of occasions.
I never take my camera out with the purpose to take a video, but it's there if I need it.

Both cameras will produce excellent images and are good cameras to learn with and should provide you with a few good years service.
How do you see yourself growing as a photographer?
Remember that we often invest in a system rather than a particular camera, therefore look at lenses that you might think about buying for subjects you're interested in.
Pentax lacks a 70-200, although can be found in third party mounts, but does have the 60-250 or 50-135.
If you're into birding/wildlife, Pentax does lack in long lenses. Many, including myself, opt for a Sigma 50-500, 150-500, or the older 170-500 which I have.
If you're the outdoors type then the WR K30 and WR lenses are a sensible choice.
Additionally, if you like to travel light then Pentax has some incredible prime lenses.
But that opens up the primes v zoom discussion.
@Mickey: I use my camera outdoors occasionally only when am visiting places. I took Pentax K30 for a spin outdoor and the picture quality is very good. But have' nt taken the Canon 700D outdoor yet. Am not a big fan of touch screen or flip out LCD but one thing I like in the Canon is the ability to quickly focus in the dim light situations. It uses its flash to find the subject and focus it. Something which Pentax lacks and it took sometime to focus. Or may be am missing some setting in Pentax which has that capability too.
09-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I believe the K30 does have a focus assist light for low light settings, but you may have to turn it on.
09-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I suggest you search this forum for threads on how to clean dust and buy a rocket blower. Seems like your best option at the moment.
09-16-2013, 05:49 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I suggest you search this forum for threads on how to clean dust and buy a rocket blower. Seems like your best option at the moment.
Thank you. I actually bought the lens cleaning kit but being a newbie to SLR and also with brand new camera, I thought I would take it to the store to check on that. Is it worth getting K50+ 18-55mm WR lens for $900 or go back with K30 with Sigma 17-70mm macro for $699.
09-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I believe the K30 does have a focus assist light for low light settings, but you may have to turn it on.
Is that the red light that glows when I try to focus on dim light conditions or its something else that am missing ?