Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Need a Reasonably Priced Flash For K-30

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just bought a new k-30 and spent some money on lenses so I really have to restrict how much I can spend on a flash. I have to stay under 100 dollars.
I initially tried my old Sunpak RD2000C which I used with a Canon G9. I knew I would have to use it manually, but figured it was better than the popup flash. Lo and behold the hot shoe on the K-30 is too small, way too small, for it. That is my first surprise, I expected all hot shoes to be the same, it would be the only reasonable way for the industry to behave. Just like Ctrl-C is always copy in software, hot shoes should be standard. From looking at the hot shoe on my k-30 I have to wonder how rugged any mount that fits it would be, seems to me it would be very fragile compared to other brands.
That said, can anybody suggest a flash for the k-30 which features at least bounce (I don't expect swivel for < 100) and will come in under 100 dollars? I've found a few, but every one of them said "No longer available".
TIA for any help.

09-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Pretty much every hotshoe is the same size, it is even defined in ISO 518:2006. If the flash fit on the G9, it will fit on the K-30. Sony is the only one with a non-standard hotshoe.

What kind of features are you looking for in a flash? Is P-TTL metering a requirement? That will be tough under $100.
09-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #3

I've been using a Sigma EF-530 DG Super with good results. Not sure what your local prices are like for it but it was $160 for me and has a lot of features for that money including swivel and bounce.
09-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Your post prompted me to drag out a micrometer and do some measuring when I should be reading a good novel. Though at times it was hard to measure I think I got some variations that indicate a different standard or poor quality control by one or more of these manufacturers.
Front to back depth: K-30 17.46 mm, G9 18.57 mm, Flash 20.52 mm, this might not be a problem.
Left to right width: K-30 18.74 mm, G9 18.84 mm, Flash 18.66 mm, this is identical given my degree of error.
Depth of groove for mount: K-30 1.76 mm, G9 2.5. mm, Flash (thickness of plate) 18.66 mm, even given my degree of error this is where the big difference is. BTW, the measurement of the flash plate thickness was after I had taken it down a little with a nail file in an attempt to make it useable. I searched vainly for the standard measurements, but the only thing that looked promising was a PDF of the standard you had to pay for, I wasn't about to do that.

As to features, for now a manual setting flash will have to be sufficient. The big thing I'm looking for is too be able to bounce the flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Pretty much every hotshoe is the same size, it is even defined in ISO 518:2006. If the flash fit on the G9, it will fit on the K-30. Sony is the only one with a non-standard hotshoe.

What kind of features are you looking for in a flash? Is P-TTL metering a requirement? That will be tough under $100.

09-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote
I've been using a Sigma EF-530 DG Super with good results. Not sure what your local prices are like for it but it was $160 for me and has a lot of features for that money including swivel and bounce.
I could only find that on Amazon for $189 and it was from a questionable source.
09-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
For a manual flash you really can't go wrong with a Yongnuo YN-560. Very powerful, fast recycle, bounce, swivel and pretty good build quality. I've got two of them and they never miss a beat unless the batteries are very low.

There are 3 different versions, the original has a simple LED display on the back, the II has an LCD, the III has the LCD and a wireless receiver built in that can be triggered with a Yongnuo RF-602 or 603.
09-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you are looking for all manual check out the yongnuo 460 flash it works great it has off camera settings and you can use preflash with it also to get the p-ttl feature with the pop up check it out you can get 2 for around 100 and they have metal base plates

09-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #8
Forum Member

Pentax AF280T, old-style flash, but have an "A" mode.
for example
Pentax Flash AF 280T Mint Condition 27075303812 | eBay

I'm using 3 of them.
09-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Is P-TTL metering a requirement? That will be tough under $100.
The Pentax AF200FG is found easily on eBay for well under $100.
09-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #10

I'm using the Yongnuo YN-560 II ($60) and I like it. Swivels up-down-left-right, has a pull-out diffuser, comes with a soft case. Here are the updates from the first model, according to Amazon's page:

1), New LCD Display

We remove away from the battery of LEDs on the back panel to indicate vital information such as power level, zoom step and flash mode / slave mode, it's more clearly and directly.

2), New Multi Mode Function

YN560 II is the first Chinese full manual-flash with a multi mode. Multi mode is a second flash mode for YN-560 II, in addition to the full-manual mode "M", and also in addition to the 2 full-manual slave modes "S1″ and "S2″ which can't be combined with the multi-mode option.
Multi mode allows firing a series of rapid flashes with a shutter release to produce a stroboscopic effect in the resulting picture. It's often used to show different phases of movement of aBMX cyclist, skateboarder or gymnast, for example, or any other object traveling through the frame.

3), Power Low Indicator / Battery Warning

This feature can give you warning before it's too late, and not only after the power is out, it's also YONGNUO first full-manual flash with this function.

4), New Slave Sensor Cover Design

The flat, one-piece plastic screen has been replaced.
09-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Another thumps up for the Yongnuo YN-560 II
09-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out the Amazon.com: Bell & Howell Z680AF-P Camera Flash with LCD for Pentax (Black): Camera & Photo Bell + Howell Z680AF. It has P-TTL and swivels all over the place.
09-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I considered the Pentax AF280T and the Yongnuo YN-560 II and ultimately went with the Yongnuo YN-560 II.