Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-30 sales in Japanese amazon.. on par with D5200

I find it very baffling that this camera can be so popular in japan, but completely unknown in the US.
I wonder what is the reason for that?

Amazon.co.jp

09-22-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Because CaNikon has more commercials here, more brick and mortar stores, and more adverts in newspapers, online forums, etc.
09-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yu can see why Ricoh/Pentax focus efforts on Japanese market as it is the key one for the company.

Dale
09-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were a big wig in Pentax/Ricoh, I would focus literally 75% of my advertising and marketing efforts/funds towards India, China, and Brazil.

-Heie

09-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It isn't the advertising that costs the money. It's the corporate infrastructure, production capacity, Dealer Credit and Sales Rep commissions necessary to have the cameras available in stores so people can buy the cameras they see in the advertisements that costs the money.

And allowing for the uniquely Western cultural practice that if we don't like something - even if it is working perfectly - we just send it back for a refund, which is socially unacceptable in Japan.
09-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking for India, we were given some of their launch prices, and they're beyond ridiculous. The DA*300 for the equivalent of 2500 USD, the K-30/2 lens kit for the equivalent of 1000 USD.
Best of luck to them, they won't survive against CaNikoNY at these prices.
09-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
It isn't the advertising that costs the money. It's the corporate infrastructure, production capacity, Dealer Credit and Sales Rep commissions necessary to have the cameras available in stores so people can buy the cameras they see in the advertisements that costs the money.

And allowing for the uniquely Western cultural practice that if we don't like something - even if it is working perfectly - we just send it back for a refund, which is socially unacceptable in Japan.
Of course, I didn't mean anything that would neglect the importance of those tenets. What I was trying to convey despite my business naivete is that those three markets form the three largest untapped markets in the world, and they are very, very rapidly catching up to the West (especially India and China) with regards to buying power and disposable income. While of course there are always gains to be made in the USA, Western Europe, Japan, etc, the real capital to be gained is by whomever can tap into those three locations. The increases in the already established locations are far more incremental than the potential of China, India, and Brazil.

-Heie
09-22-2013, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Because US customers like me are generally cheap bastards!
That is why we in the US need more people like Heie to use PENTAX, he thinks PENTAX limited lenses are too cheap.

Just kidding.

I prefer PENTAX to be low-key in US, but big in other places. So I can wear those t-shirt that read "I am huge in Japan".

09-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bhairavp Quote
Speaking for India, we were given some of their launch prices, and they're beyond ridiculous. The DA*300 for the equivalent of 2500 USD, the K-30/2 lens kit for the equivalent of 1000 USD.
Best of luck to them, they won't survive against CaNikoNY at these prices.
The Pentax 300mm f4 ($1,396.95) is less then the Canon 300mm f4 ($1,449.00) and within $30 of Nikon 300mm f4 ($1,369.00)

All at the same store. B & H.
09-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistlefoot Quote
The Pentax 300mm f4 ($1,396.95) is less then the Canon 300mm f4 ($1,449.00) and within $30 of Nikon 300mm f4 ($1,369.00)

All at the same store. B & H.
Yeah but he is talking about launch prices near him, in India. B&H is pretty far from India.

That being said, I'm going to wildly guess that Pentax will show "discounts" to their newly launched products in India pretty soon - bringing their prices in line with CaNikoNy.
09-22-2013, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

In my opinion, US markets typically want fully lifecycle, available everything, everywhere and back 'a winner', low cost, and lots of new features - all the time.
Canon/Nikon and to an extent, Sony have filled that market with new features/cameras 'all the time', while keeping cost of cameras relatively low (i.e., SLT, tiltable/movable LCD, external microphone ports, lots of 'bells and whistles' on the software front).
Pentax, in my opinion pretty much left this market when it decided to stop selling full frame (i.e. left the pro market), and didn't keep up with the Canon/Nikon/Sony features lifecycle (again - this is for US market).

Personally, tried Canon T3i-T4i/Nikon D5200 and they felt 'cheap' in comparison (light hollow plastic) - vs. Pentax. Even the shutter sound was cheap sounding - no nice 'slap'
This reminded me of GM plastic vs. Toyota.

Pentax hasn't built anything 'really' new in a while (i.e. still on old Sony sensor), but it works VERY well, IMHO, and that's one of the reasons I buy Pentax.

Reasons to buit Pentax:
1. Shake Reduction in camera - excellent for using lenses like Rokinon 85mm f1.4
2. Weather resistant / rugged (in general - even w/o the weather sealing - they're a fairly rugged camera - I took my K-x skiing down Big Bear Mountain!)
3. AA battery option - this is big for me - means you can use an AA almost anytime/anywhere. Energizer lithium lasts a LONG time on my K-x - esp. w/o flash
4. Quality - well, even if not ALL pentax lenses are the greatest, the camera/sensor make up for it.
5. Use of MANY lenses (even screwmount).

Pentax's market for the US is limited to either
A. Loyal / glass owners
B. Those who know what they're buying
C. Those that want a rugged camera, that works as a good/great SLR, not a 'SLR + Video + everything in the kitchen sink'.

I think that Pentax does have a good market for rugged cameras in the US - I'm sure emergency services folks are a great market for them, as well as outdoor enthusiasts.
Add a few more features and that market could grow very well (i.e. GPS, WiFi).

I expect the long term of SLR to become mirrorless, and either the body to be replaceable in 3-5 years for 'consumer' cameras as features grow.
Professional - Pentax really needs a replacement for 645D (i.e. faster processor, more 'pro' features) if they want to stay in that market.
09-26-2013, 03:22 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Speak for your own brand of Western culture, because here in Australia that's not an option either unless agreed upon at the time of sale.
Retailers are not loaners.. You buy it, it's yours and unless there's a fault, is not of merchantable quality, does not match the description or fails to do what it says on the box - you own it.
10-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sledger Quote
Speak for your own brand of Western culture, because here in Australia that's not an option either unless agreed upon at the time of sale.
Retailers are not loaners.. You buy it, it's yours and unless there's a fault, is not of merchantable quality, does not match the description or fails to do what it says on the box - you own it.

I think retailers here do that, because it boosts sales. I probably wouldn't have bought a pentax if it was not for a return policy. I couldn't have tested one in store (because no one has it!) and it was between the Nikon D7000 and the K-30, the two cheapest bodies with a mirror lock up, decent grip and build quality with a sony sensor. I ended up comparing it against the D7000, and spent a week worrying about the second hand lens market for pentax and ignoring the peer pressure to get a nikon, which I liked a bit less, mainly due to an implementation of a mirror lock up and how it felt in the hand.