Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #1

cif... do I have to return it to factory setting?

Hi. I am planning on using the cif feature on my k30. My question is once I change that in the menu and I finish using the feature, do I have to disable it? Would it affect my af lenses operation? Thanks in advance.

09-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short answer: No - you will see no effect on AF lenses. If you've never used CIF before, you'll need to leave the AF/MF switch in AF - which enables the focus confirmation before shutter release logic.
09-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Short answer: No - you will see no effect on AF lenses. If you've never used CIF before, you'll need to leave the AF/MF switch in AF - which enables the focus confirmation before shutter release logic.
Thank Matt.
09-23-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

And you almost never have to use the "return to factory settings" - this is mostly an option in case you have chosen some bad settings, but dont really know where to find them.
CiF is a menu option, you simply enable/disable it. And yes, you can use it with AF lenses and it wont do much.
Keep in mind CiF will not work at all with most DA L and DA lenses, because they dont have a MF/AF option. (the lens has to be set to MF, camera to AF, and the lens mount needs to short the AF contacts for CiF to work) Thats why a lot of photographers mainly use CiF for manual lenses, like the Pentax M 50mm f1.7. With a DA lens, the camera will simply AF as usually, regardless if you have CiF turned on or off.

09-23-2013, 04:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
And you almost never have to use the "return to factory settings" - this is mostly an option in case you have chosen some bad settings, but dont really know where to find them.
CiF is a menu option, you simply enable/disable it. And yes, you can use it with AF lenses and it wont do much.
Keep in mind CiF will not work at all with most DA L and DA lenses, because they dont have a MF/AF option. (the lens has to be set to MF, camera to AF, and the lens mount needs to short the AF contacts for CiF to work) Thats why a lot of photographers mainly use CiF for manual lenses, like the Pentax M 50mm f1.7. With a DA lens, the camera will simply AF as usually, regardless if you have CiF turned on or off.
Hi Na. Thanks for your reply. I'll be trying this today. The reason for my question is because I tweaked some options in my camera several weeks ago, and I ended up with my white balance completely off, and having to return the camera to factory settings. So, I am cautious with any changes I make in the programing to avoid getting in trouble. ONce again. Thanks!
09-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #6

Original Poster
So, as I told you I tried this feature on my camera today. It works perfectly with my pentax mount manual lenses. I didn't work at all with my m42 adapted lenses. The question then is what is the "adequate" adapter to make this feature work with those lenses? I know that the adapter have to do something with the pins in the camera, and that there are three kinds of adapters. The one that I have (that doesn't work), the one that Pentax manufactured and discontinued, and the copies of that one... ah.. I forgot... and there is another one which require to use some fancy tool to unmount... So, I ask... which one should I get? Thanks guys!
09-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Which m42 lens are you using?
CiF will only work if the pins/contacts are shorted. That means the lens (or adapter) has to cover them. And it also has to be made out of a conductive material. I'll list some common problems

With official Pentax m42 adapter, the adapter doesn't cover the contacts (it doesnt have a flange there). This means it allows infinity focusing. But some lenses have a narrow base that doesn't cover the contacts (like Helios 44-2, Industar 50-2 and others). This means CiF will not work. So for these lenses, you either cannot use CiF, or you need an adapter with a flange. These unfortunately usually don't allow infinity focus. But they have a little "collar" that covers the contacts.
Another problem for CiF can be that some lenses and adapters are non-conductive. For example, a completely plastic mount (with no contacts), or an adapter with a non-conductive coating. If the lens or adapter is merely coated (usually this means it is painted black), you can simply scratch off a part of the coating/paint. Or, you can add a bit of tin foil where the contacts are, but I am not sure how you can do this. I wouldnt want to use glue, because it might run and glue the lens to the mount. Maybe you can just put a strip of foil and friction will hold it in place.
So these are your options. Avoid the absolutely cheapest adapters, because those can get stuck to your camera and you need to unscrew the whole camera mount to remove them. (check some other threads on this topic, there are many)