Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-23-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K30 and cable release

Has anyone found a suitable and reasonable priced wired cable release that works reliably with the K3,? . If so can they please direct me to the supply source.

09-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the K30 have wired release port?

If not you will have to use an IR release or else DIY mechanical release.

There may be some info in the DIY section of this forum.
09-23-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Release Me?

Hello boxcam78, Welcome to the Forum!
Unless things have changed drastically, the standard Pentax cable release F should work fine. I checked the camera reviews here and it specifies that the K-30 has 'Wired and wireless shutter release' so I would assume it's remote-shutter capable. Bear in mind,I don't own a K-30, but the same 2.5mm jack-release has worked on a K10D, K-7 and K-5.
A quick look on eBay shows literally dozens of these, a search for 'Pentax cable release' should turn up many. In addition to the genuine Pentax item ($40.00 USD!!) there are several 3rd party brands. I've used the OEM and 'Pixel' brand ($10.00-USD), they work equally well but the Pentax version shows much better construction, fit and finish. You get what you pay for!
You might try the Forum 'Pentax User UK' for more local information. Also Amazon UK lists both the Pentax version and brands like Vello and Bower for much lower prices.
If you can get to a camera store easily, bring your K-30 and try one out, but my guess is it takes the same remote shutter release they've used for the entire digital era, the 'F' release.
Ron
09-23-2013, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
I checked the camera reviews here and it specifies that the K-30 has 'Wired and wireless shutter release'
Good catch, I just checked the manual and it shows the port. For my K-5 I use one like this Pixel Wired Remote Shutter Release Control E3 for Canon EOS 60D 450D 600D Pentax | eBay

Pentax uses the same plug and configuration as Canon, but to be sure just look for one that specifies Pentax.

Last edited by crewl1; 09-23-2013 at 08:10 AM.
09-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, the K-30 has both wired and IR release ports. The wired port is compatible with the design used for most Canon cameras - - - do note that when you are using a wired port, you camera is no longer rated for weather resistance until you reseal that port.

If you are interested in the exact function of each of the pins on the 2.5mm stereo connector, you can see them on the Triggertrap Mobile site:
https://triggertrap.com/documentation/troubleshooting-triggertrap-mobile/
09-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I have one which looks very similar to crewl1's (also bought on Ebay) but mine is branded as a 'Jianisi'. It works well.
09-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The Amazon UK sold CS-205 equivalent by PowerPlanet works well for a fiver.
09-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #8

I am not sure about the cost of a cable release. I got a IR controller in ebay for 0.99 shipped form china.
obviously is not the best construction but it survived a vacation
and it works great for selfies using a tripod and the 3 sec release.

09-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I got this on eBay for about $6 including P&P:

Shutter Release Cord for Pentax K-7 K200D K20D CS-205 | eBay

It works fine. It has half press and also lock for bulb exposure.
09-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You may want to skip the cable type and go for a wireless remote, they plug into the same hole, and mount on the hot shoe, or tape it to something else to keep the hotshoe open.
I use one like this, but a different name.
Pixel Wireless RW221 E3 Control Shutter Remote Switch Release FOR Canon Pentax | eBay
Tuggie76
09-25-2013, 03:08 AM   #11

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm also looking for a shutter, but I don't know which type choose, the wired or the wireless, so if anyone could give me a hint I really appreciate it
09-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hook Me Up!

QuoteOriginally posted by aras2002 Quote
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I'm also looking for a shutter, but I don't know which type choose, the wired or the wireless, so if anyone could give me a hint I really appreciate it
Hello aras2002, Welcome the the Forum!
The choice between wired and wireless mostly depends on how far and in which direction you want to get from the camera. With a cable, you can only get a couple of feet away, but in any direction.
With the infared 'clicker', you can move farther away, but must have the 'beam' pointed either at the back sensor or the front sensor of the camera. It won't work aimed from the sides. Also, with the clicker, you must first enable the remote on the four-way circle dial; press the little clock icon, scroll sideways to the fourth icon (the clicker), press OK, next an additional drop-down menu with choices for immediate release, 3 second timer, remote continuous shooting. Select one, press OK.
With the cable, no setup required, just plug it in and use either the shutter button or the remote button. But you do lose full WR capability by opening the rubber hatch.
Your choice!
Ron
09-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The K30 works with wired remote.
I got a Pentax compatible one on ebay.

The wired remote allows 3 frame exp bracketing, which the IR one does not
09-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello aras2002, Welcome the the Forum!
The choice between wired and wireless mostly depends on how far and in which direction you want to get from the camera. With a cable, you can only get a couple of feet away, but in any direction.
With the infared 'clicker', you can move farther away, but must have the 'beam' pointed either at the back sensor or the front sensor of the camera. It won't work aimed from the sides. Also, with the clicker, you must first enable the remote on the four-way circle dial; press the little clock icon, scroll sideways to the fourth icon (the clicker), press OK, next an additional drop-down menu with choices for immediate release, 3 second timer, remote continuous shooting. Select one, press OK.
With the cable, no setup required, just plug it in and use either the shutter button or the remote button. But you do lose full WR capability by opening the rubber hatch.
Your choice!
Ron
Thanks for the advices! have anyone has this wireless shutter? Wireless IR Remote Control for Pentax Camera (1*CR2025) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme I don't know if it's valid for the K-30
09-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aras2002 Quote
Thanks for the advices! have anyone has this wireless shutter? Wireless IR Remote Control for Pentax Camera (1*CR2025) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme I don't know if it's valid for the K-30
I don't have this type, but the IR remote I bought for my ISTdl works with my K30. I prefer the electronic type as you can fire the camera from anywhere, set it up on the bird feeder, go inside with your feet up and fire when ever a bird appears!

Tuggie76