Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
I used the M 50 1.7 for the fountains. DAL 50-200 for the portrait.
Hmmm.. I don't have any experience with the M 50mm f/1.7 but that DA L 50-200 loves the color blue more than the Smurfs do. My K-30 seems to saturate reds on third party lenses and I have no idea why - even when shooting RAW. Maybe Pentax compensated for this with a "cooler" native lens.

09-26-2013, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To sum up:
- some lenses are cooler, others are warmer. Modern Pentax lenses can be a little cool, some older lenses are warmer, but each lens has its own unique character
- WB: white balance is very important when you are shooting jpeg. AWB is great, but its not perfect. If you want better quality, you will have to take control. You can use "shadow" or "cloudy" white balance setting, and you can even set a custom white balance, for the shot you are taking. This is the easiest way for you to make photos less blue.
- rendering: Cool, blue photos are kind of popular right now. So this is how manufacturers make their photos look. If you shoot raw, you can make your own camera calibration profile or automatic default processing to change that a little. The colour blue is also more prevalent on the sensor than, for example, red. So it will automatically have a greater impact. And if you shoot raw, the processing software can have a mind of its own.
- Filters: Keep in mind that some filters can add a blue tint. And that bl
- Other: Shadows are blue. That is an unavoidable fact. Photos often have inconsistent "white balance" so one part will look too "orange" for us, or too "blue". The human brain quickly adjusts the "white balance" in real life and we dont even notice it. Cameras arent as smart, they dont know what we see, they just capture light and then show it to us in some way that hopefully works out for us and looks good

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-26-2013 at 02:58 PM.
09-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the insight! That is extremely helpful. I will take all of that advice to heart and see what I can come up with. Thank you kindly.
09-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 for Na Horuk. Most people don't think about this and let the JPG engine take its own guess. Since 90%+ of shooters are just snapshot takers everyone is generally satisfied with this. We are a firm minority that questions everything!

09-30-2013, 12:52 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
I love the K-30 so far, but I notice that all of my pics seem to just have a slightly blue tint to them. In broad daylight it's not that bad, but I just did some evening shooting and it stood out to me. I haven't touched any of the color settings on the camera, so I'm curious as to why it's doing it. I hope it's not a dud. Maybe it's my exposure levels too... perhaps I'm not getting it right.

The evening shot was underexposed, but it's pretty blue. The daytime shot just seems to have a slight sheen of blue throughout the picture... am I seeing things or is this legit?
Hello,
aside from purple fringing and CA defects, what hurts me more in my shots is the magenta hue which sometimes appears. As many suggested, you can manage it by working with RAW and use the auto white balance settings of your preferred sw.