Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter

K30 custom menu

I've searched the K30 manual for references to setting a "custom" menu and can't find any. Does anyone know of a way to set a custom menu up? I would like to be able to have a short menu with my most used functions on it. Thanks for any input, either way.

09-25-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You may be thinking of saving your current settings to one of the user modes (U1 and U2). For example, I have my U1 set for HDR shots in JPG format.
09-25-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manmarco Quote
I would like to be able to have a short menu with my most used functions on it.
To the best of my knowledge, the K30 has no such feature. However, I'd use the heck out of it if it existed. Like being able to customize a couple of the spots on the quick menu that pops up when you press the info button would be awesome because there's a couple of things on that menu that I never ever use and there's a couple of features buried in the regular menus that I use all the time.
09-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As Boris pointed out you can use U1 and U2 for saving your settings. Check your manual page 168 and it will give you a list of what can settings you can save. Check through page 170 for other options in these user settings mode.

09-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
You may be thinking of saving your current settings to one of the user modes (U1 and U2).
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
you can use U1 and U2 for saving your settings.
I took the OP to mean creating a custom "menu" not a custom "mode". In other words, if you find yourself using a setup you've stored in U1 but need to adjust WB for every location, the WB reverts back to the one stored in U1 each time you power the camera off and back on. Solution, re-save U1 at each location which is buried on the bottom of the 4th page of the menu. Perhaps you like to toggle focus peaking off and on, or the electronic level... whatever, it would be neat if you could build 1 menu page with your frequently used items in it, or edit the quickmenu to maybe replace things like JPEG Quality that you rarely adjust with things you use. Each photographer is unique of course and IMHO Pentax does a GREAT job with the quickmenu that's accessible with the info button. But I'm sure we could all find a couple items on that menu we'd like to swap out for things we frequently dig through the menus for.

I'm relatively new to photography so I'm sure that sort of "My Menu" functionality is reserved for high-end cameras because to my knowledge, there's no way to do that on the K-30.

Last edited by HockeyDad; 09-25-2013 at 10:03 AM.
09-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I would like to be able to have a short menu with my most used functions on it.
As Boris said, and I'm sure he thought she meant the same as I did because of the sentence above, that OP wants a way to save/make a custom menu that would save OP's setting used most. That is what the U1, and U2 are for.
09-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks to all who took the time to answer.

I was intrigued by a remark by Jeff Cable, on one of B & H's youtube videos, that he uses custom menus to quickly access features for settings. He was shooting with a Canon, high-end I'm sure and i wanted to do the same.

BTW, the K30 is my second Pentax DSLR and I love it. I started with used Pentax equipment 25 years ago. I put them aside for several years and in '07 bought a D100 Super, which my grandson is using for a 10th grade photography class.

Again, much thanks to all.
09-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter

You're welcome. But I have a question. Did any of the answers you received help at all?

09-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You're welcome. But I have a question. Did any of the answers you received help at all?
I'm sorry, I should have stated that the messages did help. Especially regarding "User 1" and "User 2". I will set-up those options and try them.
BTW, although I've not posted much here I've really enjoyed reading the posts and have learned a lot from them. I like the way that the forums are setup and the feeling of being in a caring, supportive community.
09-26-2013, 04:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Yikes, looks like I was way off base. Thankfully there were more experienced minds here to get you pointed in the right direction. The user modes, U1 and U2 are fantastic for storing your most frequently used setups. In fact, those were a HUGE motivating factor in my upgrade decision when I went from K-r to K-30.
09-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter

BTW, although I've not posted much here I've really enjoyed reading the posts and have learned a lot from them. I like the way that the forums are setup and the feeling of being in a caring, supportive community.
I'm glad to hear you like PF, they have been very helpful to me also and always in a friendly manner.
09-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, this forum is pretty civil and well run. People aren't overly polarized. All bets are off in the Full Frame threads though.