Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Sorry, I meant to say "catch in focus" which is a feature of K30. When enabled the shot fires automatically when camera achieves focus.

By the way, suncguy I did just activate ""Optical preview" and assigned to Raw/FX as you suggested. It does show the depth of field. I notice the
dof on the smaller aperture settings. I think I'm looking for more depth of field to achieve bouquet. Which is probably best done with my prime lenses
or my macro Sigma 50mm prime. I'm used to shooting flowers up close. But I do love the K30 as a great landscape camera I think with any lens
I would put on it. My lucky day came when I bought that really fine camera. My wife, who is my severest critic loves all my shots that come
out of the K30. Also I'm very good at PP and the K30 shots lend themselves easily to any adjustments I make.
Can't wait for my DA35mm 2.4 AL lens that I'm ordering next week!! It may become the main lens on K30 Thanks, Everyone. Freddy

09-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm not sure about the K30, but on the K10D, you can get DOF preview by pushing the on/off switch past the "on" setting. If you're looking to take "bokeh" shots, you actually want *less* depth of field to blur out the background. More DOF would render more of the shot in focus. This is why landscape shooters often use the higher f-stops like f/11, f/16 for maximum depth of field (area of the shot that's in-focus). For less DOF, with blurred background you would use the wider apertures like f/1.7, 2.4, etc (lower numbers). I suggest the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson to familiarize yourself with some of this terminology. The DA35/2.4 is a wonderful lens, btw - have fun
09-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Na, on my k30 (with DA16-45) lens is set to spot focus and camera is on AV mode. No matter how I set the aperture I can't get any depth of field .
I'm try for bokeh. What am I doing wrong. You mentioned lens should be on A mode but there is no A mode setting on 16-45 lens. Might it be because I have the camera set to Capture focus? Freddy
You need to activate DOF preview (which can be mapped to the green button I believe) in order to get the lens to stop down while looking through the viewfinder. Modern lenses don't normally stop down until it's time to shoot, even if you manually select an aperture setting.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
Sorry, I meant to say "catch in focus" which is a feature of K30. When enabled the shot fires automatically when camera achieves focus.

By the way, suncguy I did just activate ""Optical preview" and assigned to Raw/FX as you suggested. It does show the depth of field. I notice the
dof on the smaller aperture settings. I think I'm looking for more depth of field to achieve bouquet. Which is probably best done with my prime lenses
or my macro Sigma 50mm prime. I'm used to shooting flowers up close. But I do love the K30 as a great landscape camera I think with any lens
I would put on it. My lucky day came when I bought that really fine camera. My wife, who is my severest critic loves all my shots that come
out of the K30. Also I'm very good at PP and the K30 shots lend themselves easily to any adjustments I make.
Can't wait for my DA35mm 2.4 AL lens that I'm ordering next week!! It may become the main lens on K30 Thanks, Everyone. Freddy
Freddy, you get bokeh when you don't stop down for more depth of field. Keep the aperture as open as possible.

09-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #20

Lots of useful information in this thread!
09-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
Pentaxian

DoF will be shallow if the f-number is small (f1.4, for example), DoF will get wider if the f-number is higher (f22).
There are other things to consider - if you focus at infinity, the difference between apertures might not be as dramatic as it is when you are focusing on a near object.
When you focus near, the DoF will be shallow than if you focus farther away.
Also, wide angle (for example 24mm) lenses have a wider DoF than tele lenses (135mm).
Above f8, the image quality might start to get reduced, especially above f14, due to diffraction. Makes the photo look less sharp.
09-28-2013, 04:47 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you want bokeh, get close to the subject and use a large aperture (small f number). "Stop down" mean to use a small aperture (large f number). You want to NOT stop down.