Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how do I stop down K30 with Da zoom or manual lenses

I recently learned how to stop down my vintage m42 manual SMC takumer 55 1.8 lens lens. but I can't find out from the K30 manual how to stop down if I shoot
manually on the k30 with the newer lenses. Can some one help me with this. I need to know how to set the selector on the left side of the camera that
has 3 positions. AFS C and MF, when I want to stop down in AV mode and need to know what else I might have to do. It's probably easier than I think
but I haven't a clue from K30 manual. Freddy

09-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Set your camera to Av, TAv, or M mode. Then you can use the wheels to set your aperture. Keep your lens aperture ring in the A position. Use the optical preview to see the DoF.
09-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
I need to know how to set the selector on the left side of the camera that
has 3 positions. AFS C and MF, when I want to stop down in AV mode and need to know what else I might have to do. It's probably easier than I think
Also, that is the autofocus switch, it has nothing to do with the metering.
09-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

newer lenses

Any specific lenses?

09-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Any specific lenses?
Okay, Da 16-45, Sigma 50mm EX macro, Da35mm 2.4 AL prime. , Da50-200, Freddy
09-27-2013, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Lenses with automatic aperture (like the DA lenses, or lenses that have an A position on the aperture ring) will use the aperture you selected on the camera (f-number), and will automatically stop it down when the photo is taken. But they keep it open during all other times, for composition and AF. Except in live view, when they sometimes choose a smaller aperture in idle mode; but it will still automatically stop down to the aperture you selected when you press the shutter.
You can go in the menu and button setup and make one of the buttons do "DoF preview" or "optical preview" (not sure what its called). Then the camera will stop down the lens when you press the button, too. So you can see the depth of field while you compose. But it will still automatically stop down when you press the shutter.

There are older types of aperture, some automatically stop down to the number you selected on the lens ring and jump back open, others are completely manual and you have to stop down and open it by hand (like the m42 preset lenses). But this is only for much older lenses. Other than the Takumar, I think the ones you listed are all automatic. Some don't even have aperture rings (The DA 35mm f2.4 has no aperture ring, the aperture is only selected on the camera and then the camera automatically does everything for you)

Last edited by Na Horuk; 09-27-2013 at 09:12 AM.
09-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Na, on my k30 (with DA16-45) lens is set to spot focus and camera is on AV mode. No matter how I set the aperture I can't get any depth of field .
I'm try for bokeh. What am I doing wrong. You mentioned lens should be on A mode but there is no A mode setting on 16-45 lens. Might it be because I have the camera set to Capture focus? Freddy

09-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You can calculate the DOF with Online Depth of Field Calculator, for all your lenses, and see how far in front of, and behind the subject will be in focus, at certain apertures and distances..
09-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Would it just be simpler for me to use a macro or prime lens, for example the DA35mm 2.4 Al lens.
I plan to have the 35mm on camera most of the time anyway. Or maybe alternate it with the Sigma 50mm EX macro lens. Freddy
09-27-2013, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Na, on my k30 (with DA16-45) lens is set to spot focus and camera is on AV mode. No matter how I set the aperture I can't get any depth of field .
I'm try for bokeh. What am I doing wrong. You mentioned lens should be on A mode but there is no A mode setting on 16-45 lens. Might it be because I have the camera set to Capture focus? Freddy
Hey, are you meaning to say you would like to have a Depth of Field preview? I.e. you select an aperture and you wish to see the DoF?

If i am getting what you are trying to do, for the k30:

1) Hit "Menu"
2) Go to page "4"
3) On page 4, go down and select "Button Customization"
4) I've set my RAW/Fx to "Optical Preview"

Once done, exit and select the aperture you want and press and hold the RAW/Fx button on the left, between the Focusing mode switch and Pop-up flash button.

That's "Stop Down" for you for digital lenses without an aperture ring.
09-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Na, on my k30 (with DA16-45) lens is set to spot focus and camera is on AV mode.
You are confusing two completely different things. AV mode is an exposure mode and has nothing to do with focus.

Spot focus (center point focus) just uses the center, single focus sensor to lock focus. Spot metering on the other hand, along with multi-segment and center weighted, are metering modes that determine how much of the scene the camera's meter uses to determine the exposure.

AF.C, AF.S, AF.A are all focus modes and have nothing to do with exposure, or bokeh.

You mentioned lens should be on A mode but there is no A mode setting on 16-45 lens.
Correct, DA lenses do not have an 'A' mode but some older lenses designed for film cameras do, but if they are in 'A' mode they work just like a DA lens. This really is not an issue with any of the lenses you mention, except maybe the Sigma which I'm not familiar with.

Might it be because I have the camera set to Capture focus?
There is no such thing as 'capture focus', I think you mean 'continuous focus'? Which means the camera is constantly trying to focus as you move the camera, like when tracking a moving object. AF.S on the other hand focuses once and as long as you keep the shutter button half pressed does not change the focus even if the you or the subject moves. And again, this is a focus mode and has nothing to do with exposure.
09-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote

There is no such thing as 'capture focus', I think you mean 'continuous focus'? Which means the camera is constantly trying to focus as you move the camera, like when tracking a moving object. AF.S on the other hand focuses once and as long as you keep the shutter button half pressed does not change the focus even if the you or the subject moves. And again, this is a focus mode and has nothing to do with exposure.
Hey, i think he meant Focus Priority, where the shutter will be released only when subject is in focus.

Anyway, Freddy, are you asking on how to do a DoF preview or are you asking on how to obtain bokeh/subject isolation?
09-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Hey, i think he meant Focus Priority, where the shutter will be released only when subject is in focus.
Maybe, after re-reading I'm not sure at all what he meant. Freddy, before you get a bunch of answers that might make no sense can you tell us exactly what you are trying to achieve? That might help.
09-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's a capture in focus feature so you can hold the shutter button down while you manually focus and the actual release only occurs when the camera thinks that focus has been achieved.

I believe It's hard to achieve good bokeh on short focal lengths. Doesn't mean you shouldn't try. You may discover something you would not have otherwise!
09-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

to stop down
By stopping down a lens (larger f stop like f22), you actually increase the DOF

I can't get any depth of field
You'll have to "open up" (smaller f stop like f2.5) your lens to decrease the DOF, and get better bokeh