Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-29-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 139
AF Active Area, which one?

If I'm shooting f1.7 - 2.8 with a 50mm, trying to focus on the eye/face area of a toddler who is constantly moving around what would be the recommended AF setting to use - Auto 11, Auto 5, or spot? This would be outside with shutter speed being over 1000 and ISO 100. I've been using spot because I don't really understand what is going on with those multiple red squares in the other modes. I don't have any formal training in photography and am learning as I go.

09-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. John's, NL
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 449
Check out this thread for a technique that will require practice, but has been working well for me.
09-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter
psychdoc's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bham
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 943
If you want to focus on an area of YOUR choosing vs the CAMERA choosing, you would need to use single area. If you use the 11 or 5 point, it will be only by a fluke that the camera will hit the spot you wanted.

You can set AF to continuous, and single spot autofocus and change the settings to high speed shooting and follow the movement of the toddler in the view finder. Its not easy as they move around unpredictably.

Best of luck and post your 'tryouts'
09-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.K.
Posts: 685
The easiest way is f11 and bounce flash, AF on release priority, but you want to do it the hard way LOL.

If using natural light at wide apertures to keep shutter speeds up, use as high ISO as you are happy with noise-wise and take short AF-C bursts in 11 point selectable mode (not Auto) set on the centre point with Expanded Area AF on, you should get a proportion of nice shots. You definitely won't get 100% keepers with youngsters, so work in such a way that you'll almost definitely get SOME.

09-30-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 139
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
The easiest way is f11 and bounce flash, AF on release priority, but you want to do it the hard way LOL.

If using natural light at wide apertures to keep shutter speeds up, use as high ISO as you are happy with noise-wise and take short AF-C bursts in 11 point selectable mode (not Auto) set on the centre point with Expanded Area AF on, you should get a proportion of nice shots. You definitely won't get 100% keepers with youngsters, so work in such a way that you'll almost definitely get SOME.
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
If you want to focus on an area of YOUR choosing vs the CAMERA choosing, you would need to use single area. If you use the 11 or 5 point, it will be only by a fluke that the camera will hit the spot you wanted.

You can set AF to continuous, and single spot autofocus and change the settings to high speed shooting and follow the movement of the toddler in the view finder. Its not easy as they move around unpredictably.

Best of luck and post your 'tryouts'
QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
Check out this thread for a technique that will require practice, but has been working well for me.
Thanks, I'll try these out
09-30-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 698
I would suggest Continuous AF with 'AF Expanded area' and select the centre point.

Point the camera at the point you want to be in focus (most likley the eyes) half press and once you get focus confirmation recompose and shoot. The camera will track and keep the camera in focus even if the subject (or the camera) moves. It is not perfect (mostly because there are not enough AF points) but I find it to work reasonably well.

Alternatively you might want to use tracking AF in live view. I have a small Casio point and shoot which works very well when used like that. I don't know how well or otherwise it works on the K-30 but perhaps you should give it a try. In theory focus tracking should work better in live view than OVF.
10-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,108
I agree with all the posters here. Use a single focus point in the center and set your focus mode to continuous. Keep your camera constantly fixed on your toddler as they move. Your lens will be in constant motion (battery drain). Set your aperture to f/8 or so for an increased depth of field to make up for any bit of being slightly out of focus. It works on my K-30!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, auto, k-30, k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50, spot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-30 Expanded Area AF FruitLooPs Pentax K-30 & K-50 35 12-25-2013 09:43 PM
X-5 AF area Selection Albert118 Visitors' Center 2 01-30-2013 09:44 AM
Question about AF Active area and AE metering AroundTokyo Pentax K-30 & K-50 5 11-03-2012 08:28 AM
[K-5] how to show active AF point in VF? kanzlr Pentax K-5 2 07-22-2011 01:07 AM
Which One? Color or Which B&W? sajmmiller Photo Critique 4 12-09-2007 10:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:22 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top