Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2013, 01:49 AM   #1

K30 vs K-x Durability wise.

No, I don't drop my cameras on purpose to test the strength of its build. But given that I do travel and venture out a lot with my camera, Camera falls and drops come into play.

I've had my k-x flung 2 feet in the air and land 4 feet away and then slide across a wooden floor. I checked everything on the camera if it still works. Still worked like a charm.
Dropped the k-x from opening the car door and pulling a bag that had my camera wrapped around it and it flipped out of my SUV down onto the black concrete. Picked it up, turned it on, checked if the lens and everything else works, yup. works like a charm.

I've dropped my camera a few more times from very low ground or my bed onto the carpet, but those were the two major hits my camera's gotten. My camera's acquired scratches and deep gashes, but it never cracked to the point where I could see its internals.

Now, as for the K-30. I was stoked about it. It was truly an adventure camera made for the amateur-level price! Bought the body, clipped on my 50f/1.7, and was shooting with it. The body felt great. I felt like it could take quite a drop and probably wouldn't do anything to it but a few scratches if that.

Little did I know, the test was coming soon.

I went to a rock climbing competition at sender one in Santa Ana, and as I was grabbing a shirt that was on top of my camera, it fell out of my car and landed onto the concrete. Granted, I was more relieved that it was the K-30 knowing it had a better build for drops such as that. I pick up my camera to test it, It worked. But I noticed there was a shutter delay. Now, when I shoot. It leaves the shutter down, only unless I shake the camera to bring it back down.

Also, there's a missing piece of the camera that chipped off and now there's a hole on the bottom of my camera.

I'm probably questioning whether or not to stay pentax anymore at this point.

10-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #2

Original Poster
Or just to be more careful in general. But then again, everyone drops their camera once in awhile, right? Or... maybe just then ;[
10-02-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
PJ1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Depends on exactly how it lands, I guess. I have had a camera take a tumble that caused the lens cap to smash a filter. But camera (which was in a bag) and lens still work just fine.

Last edited by PJ1; 10-02-2013 at 02:20 AM. Reason: typo
10-02-2013, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by steezylistic Quote
Do you think Canikons won't break when they get dropped? I don't think any DSLR is made to be dropped, you might've been lucky with the K-x, but seeing how many times you seem to drop your cameras, it might be a good idea to take out some insurance...

10-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #5

Cameras need to be in camera bags when not in use to protect them. You got lucky with the K-x, not so lucky with the K-30.

The results likely are the same with other manufacturers.
10-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

What if Cameras Had Built-in Airbags?
10-02-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Er - are you sure the shutter is the one that stays down? Or are you referring to the mirror?

I ask this because a long time ago, I dropped my k-x and what happened was the mirror would get caught and stick in the down position. I took a look into the mirror box, poked at it once or twice, and it re-adjusted itself back into the correct position.
10-02-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Maybe you should have gone with the metal K-5 instead, but even shock proof cameras can get damaged by sudden force if applied the right way. I know K-5 that has been tumbling on sharp rocks during a nasty fall, it's scratched but works fine. Tumbling around is generally way less risky for the inner parts than a sudden stop.

10-02-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steezylistic Quote
"At this point"? You say this as if the brand has been causing your problems for years. It hasn't. Digital cameras are like most other electronics - very fickle. Sometimes a small drop is fatal, sometimes a big drop leaves no marks. The main factors are what it falls on, and the angle at which it falls. Concrete is much harder than wood. A camera dropped on stone or ceramic is much less likely to survive than a camera falling on dirt or wood.

So, I would say you had good luck with the K-x, bad luck with the K-30. In terms of repairs, I would suggest you fully charge the battery, leave it outside for a day, do a factory reset, firmware update, clean any grime from the lens and mount contacts, look at the mirror of the camera, see how it looks.. and if after this the problem doesn't go away and no solution presents itself, think about sending it in for repairs.
Also, I really doubt that any Canon or Nikon or Sony camera that costs about as much as the K-30 is as durable. Check out the Nikon D3200 or the Canon Rebel. They feel like toys. But if you think you will have better luck with them, hey, I hope it works out for you. Or stick with a K-x. I would only suggest that if you do things like climbing, it might make sense to buy a snug bag or some type of rubber housing for the camera, to soften blows at least a little.
10-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Not to be rude, or point fingers, but perhaps you should be more careful? Concrete is unforgiving. Likely no camera would have survived that specific fall. Other falls are each different, with different results.
10-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
Yeah, more careful is the key. First drop on my k-x was 2 years of having it, and the 2nd drop was on the 3rd year.

Just so happened that I dropped my k-30 on the 1st month of having it.

And oops yeah, I mean the mirror stays up. But to bring it back down, I just give a light shake and it goes back down.

Well before the drop happened on my k-x the camera would just basically bug out. Didn't recognize the lens, didn't let the shutter go off, aperture wasn't able to be changed.
Got it serviced, and it was fine. And a month after that, the AF stopped working. It would only focus in all the way, and focus out all the way.

And a month after I picked up the k-30 body, the built-in flash popped while I tried using it. After that, I wasn't able to release the shutter, take pictures, or even turn off the camera.
I sent it in for repairs, got it back and everything was great. Except the AF stopped working again. And a week after getting it back, it drops.
10-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Try touching the mirror lightly from one side and the other side. My had that issue, but only on longer exposure shots. So if I took a 1/2000s shot, it would fire ok. If I took a 1/200s shot, you would hear an odd twang. If I took a 1/20s shot or slower, the mirror would hang (the exposure was fine, but the my viewfinder was blacked out). So I poked at my mirror a few times to figure out why it was doing that, and it managed to reset the alignment.

Mind you, poke at it lightly!
10-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My K-x became damaged (it had some minor 1ft drops before) after it fell out of the back of my Mazda Tribute to the ground.
The camera itself still actually works, with a few caveats.
1. It only works in 2 dial modes - Action/Sports or video
2. The screen does not function.

If it was in a camera bag, it might have fared better.
10-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Most handheld optics are designed for the use of a safety strap. When my camera comes out of its bag, the strap goes over my neck before doing anything else, and usually immediately followed by sticking my arm through (my strap is worn like a sling).

I've clunked my cameras against something (and cringed) but I haven't dropped a camera in 40 years.
10-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've stopped using a neck strap mainly because when the camera is put down onto a table or whatever, the strap is so long it can get caught too easily by passers by, yanking the camera to the floor. Also, if the camera is picked up for a quick shot with the strap dangling, it's easily caught on things like office chair armrests when walking past. I'm using a tiny but strong wrist strap and a bag from now on, unless a neck strap is the only way.