Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sensor cleaning

There is dust on the sensor of my K-30. I can't get it to go away. I've tested with multiple lenses. You can't see it unless you're zoomed in and the focus is extremely soft. I have used the dust removal feature in camera and I have tried (very delicately) to use a micro fiber cloth as well as compressed air. The stupid piece of dust won't go away! Help.

10-04-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

I've tried various swabs and wet wipes, only those specifically designed for this purpose, but Pentax's own came out on top for me. I've heard that other 'major brands' use it in their depots.
Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit 39357
10-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the Eclipse (I think it is) wet system - basically a flat plastic stick, some micro fiber cloths and cleaning fluid. Works fine. I do it maybe once a year or longer - and only if all other non-contact methods fail. Most dust does not show at f11 and higher, which I rarely use. The clone feature in Elements is also handy :-)
10-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Eclipse fluid and Pec Pads wrapped around a sensor swab with a soft paddle at the end. Have used the same system since the *istD nine years ago - always with good results. The newer bodies need it less often due to the sensor. shake.

10-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
There is dust on the sensor of my K-30. I can't get it to go away. I've tested with multiple lenses. You can't see it unless you're zoomed in and the focus is extremely soft. I have used the dust removal feature in camera and I have tried (very delicately) to use a micro fiber cloth as well as compressed air. The stupid piece of dust won't go away! Help.
I had the same problem and these worked perfectly for me:

Photographic Solutions Sensor Swab Plus with Eclipse PE2C B&H
10-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aaronjamesgray Quote
I am having the same problem as well .Specs of dust are visible in landscapes with clear sky background etc. Very nauseating. Have also tried the dust removal feature twice which failed to remove the dust. I'm thinking the Pentax sensor cleaning kit is probably the best route.
10-14-2013, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've had a few stuck bits of crud that wouldn't go with a blower or the dust removal feature. What did work was getting them to move a bit with the brush end of a Lens Pen then finishing off with a very strong blow aimed at the right spot on the sensor, it's no good just blowing it generally all over the sensor from an inch away, you have to get closer (carefully). Bear in mind that a spot that is visible on the upper left corner of your test shot will be caused by dust in the lower right corner of the sensor as you face it.

Last edited by SteveB; 10-14-2013 at 01:20 PM.
10-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

We assume you have taken a test shot! Any lens and any white background.

10-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Before cleaning the sensor with anything beyond a simple blower I would strongly advise to read some articles on the subject. It is very easy to cause more harm than good if you clean in the wrong way. I've been there and done that myself.

There is a lot to be said about how to safely and effectively clean the sensor but there are many good articles on that. Just a few words of advice learned from my mistakes with cleaning:
1. Make sure that the battery is fully charged. The last thing you want is the mirror dropping while you are poking around the sensor with a brush or other instrument.
2. If you are going to touch the sensor with anything use only something that is either specifically designed for that or else that is properly modified/prpared for it. An ordinary brush, even of the highest quality will put smudges on the sensor that will be very hard to remove.
3. Do not use canned air unless you have some way to ensure it is suitable. Most varieties of canned air have stuff in them that will leave deposits on the sensor. There are some varities that are made specifically for that but you need to know how to identify them
4. Due not use an air compressor - there will be a fine oil and water mist in the air it produces due to the lubrication of its pistons and condensation. I sometimes break that rule myself and then regret it.
5. Last but not least First read up on how to clean the sensor and Then clean it. Don't make the mistake I did of first 'cleaning' it and then having to read up even more on how to undo the damage I had done.