Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #1

K-30: Lost Manual Mode on E-Dial

Hi,
I've had a very strange thing happen to my K-30. I think sometime after updating to firmware 1.04 I lost manual mode. I mean it no longer shows at all when I change to that dial, and instead shows TAV mode. For example, if I start rotating Counter-Clockwise, I will hit Tv->-Av->TAv -> TAv again -> Bulb etc... If I rotate back same thing happens in reverse so I don't believe it is a stuck dial or not reading something correctly. It just loops around in that sequence. I've updated to 1.05 and it's still there. Any ideas? Thank you.

10-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to M and the screen will say TAv. Now press the ISO button and change the ISO from a range to a fixed number. Bam, M mode.
M mode with auto ISO is TAv.
10-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It will do that if you have ISO set to auto, change the ISO setting to something other than auto like 200

Hans

Too late what Na Horuk said
10-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
Well now I feel stupid. Thanks for the replies, that fixed it! Didn't realize it did that as I've never used auto iso when I was doing manual work. Thanks again.

10-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I actually found that out myself last night by accident - testing out Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, and wondering why the green button stopped working.
Once I had set the ISO back to fixed from auto, everything was happy again, and I could meter/change the f stop.
12-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by formercanuck Quote
I actually found that out myself last night by accident - testing out Rokinon 85mm f/1.4, and wondering why the green button stopped working.
Once I had set the ISO back to fixed from auto, everything was happy again, and I could meter/change the f stop.
I have a Rokinon 35mm Wide Angle with manual Aperture ring and "A" Setting, I can't figure what settings to set so that I can control my depth of field. I am a newbie to DSLR's and this camera. I will need step by step instructions LOL. My camera is a K-30. I will only be shooting Video. Would like my shutter speed to be constant 1/60 sec. My capture mode is HD 30 fps. I have even gone as far as to put masking tape over the terminals on my Rokinon Lens. (some canon users were doing this) It works but really takes away all the good stuff the camera is supposed to be doing (when communicating with the lens).
12-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Um, are you talking about video or stills?
For stills, DoF is dependent on the aperture value. The smaller the f-number, the shallower the DoF. At f1.4, the DoF will be very thin. At f16, it will be wide.
You should put that lens on your camera, then hold the little button on the aperture ring so you can set the lens to A. Now turn on the camera and go to the end of the menu and enable use of aperture ring.
Now if you go to Tv mode, you can select the shutter speed to be 1/60. But that means the camera will automatically select the aperture to keep the photo "normally" bright. So the DoF will be different depending on how bright the scene is. This is why people usually use Av mode and leave the camera to choose the shutter speed. In Av mode, you have control over the DoF. Just read up on exposure value and how aperture, ISO, and shutter speed affect it. Its the cornerstone of still photography.
If you shoot video, I suggest you update the camera firmware to the latest one (it contains previous updates). You can either try to control the exposure by choosing the ISO. Or you can switch the lens out of A mode and select the aperture on the aperture ring.

Keep in mind that f1.4 is very bright - too bright for daylight. You will probably want an ND filter on it to make the frame seem darker. In bright light, the camera will automatically choose a normal aperture somewhere around f5.6 or f8.
12-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Um, are you talking about video or stills?
For stills, DoF is dependent on the aperture value. The smaller the f-number, the shallower the DoF. At f1.4, the DoF will be very thin. At f16, it will be wide.
You should put that lens on your camera, then hold the little button on the aperture ring so you can set the lens to A. Now turn on the camera and go to the end of the menu and enable use of aperture ring.
Now if you go to Tv mode, you can select the shutter speed to be 1/60. But that means the camera will automatically select the aperture to keep the photo "normally" bright. So the DoF will be different depending on how bright the scene is. This is why people usually use Av mode and leave the camera to choose the shutter speed. In Av mode, you have control over the DoF. Just read up on exposure value and how aperture, ISO, and shutter speed affect it. Its the cornerstone of still photography.
If you shoot video, I suggest you update the camera firmware to the latest one (it contains previous updates). You can either try to control the exposure by choosing the ISO. Or you can switch the lens out of A mode and select the aperture on the aperture ring.

Keep in mind that f1.4 is very bright - too bright for daylight. You will probably want an ND filter on it to make the frame seem darker. In bright light, the camera will automatically choose a normal aperture somewhere around f5.6 or f8.
I have firmware 1.05 the latest. I will be shooting video only, I have a NDX variable neutral density filter. I have other Video camera's, I bought this one strictly for shallow depth of field so I want to keep the aperture from about f2.8 or below. For best video effects my shutter needs to double my capture rate (HD 30fps) which would be 1/60th of a second. Do you think I can do this with an auto ISO and adjusting the ND filter? Would you be willing to experiment with yours, and maybe find the best settings? I just got this camera and I'm trying to jump cheat the learning curve.