Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-30 Hot Shoe small?

The hot shoe on my k-30 is very, very tight. It is tight to the point I have to apply enough force removing the Pentax AF-200FG flash that I'm afraid something might break.
I'm considering trying to spread the channels on the outside off the hot shoe vertical, maybe with some needle nose pliers. However, I'm also afraid of breaking something doing that.
Is this something unique to my k-30 or do others encounter this problem.

10-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Catscradle Quote
The hot shoe on my k-30 is very, very tight. It is tight to the point I have to apply enough force removing the Pentax AF-200FG flash that I'm afraid something might break.
I'm considering trying to spread the channels on the outside off the hot shoe vertical, maybe with some needle nose pliers. However, I'm also afraid of breaking something doing that.
Is this something unique to my k-30 or do others encounter this problem.
Are you sure the mount on the flash isn't tightened or something like that? The hotshoe shouldn't be that tight at all. If it is you can probably get Pentax to replace it for you as this would be a manufacturing defect.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you sure the mount on the flash isn't tightened or something like that? The hotshoe shouldn't be that tight at all. If it is you can probably get Pentax to replace it for you as this would be a manufacturing defect.
No, it isn't tightened. It isn't a screw lockdown, but a lever so it is either locked down completely or not at all. It was in the open position. I had an old Sunpak flash left over from a Canon G-9 that I tried on it when I first got the camera and I couldn't even put that one on. That is why I bought the Pentax flash in the first place.
I can get it off, but I'm afraid I'll be in a rush one day and snap something.
10-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Pentaxian

AFAIK this isn't the first case of a small K-30 hotshoe. There was a thread some time ago, and the guy even measured different hotshoe mounts and hotshoes.

10-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I use a Metz 44 AF-1 with my K-30 and I found the hotshoe mount to be a bit tighter than that of my K-5.
10-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I would send it back to Pentax and tell them to fix it.

Other than that suggestion, instead of spreading the channels on the camera, if use a small nail file and carefully shave some off the sides of foot of the flash.
10-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Rub a candle along the edge of the flash foot.
10-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #8

I use a Metz AF48 and it fits perfectly. I've had no problem with installation or removal.

10-07-2013, 03:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Is it possible that the top of the camera might have gotten bumped, bending the channels tighter. This is what happened to me some time ago. I took a small flat screwdriver and tweaked the metal so the flash would fit again.
10-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Did folks retain the little plastic square that covered their hotshoe when new? It serves two purposes. First, it helps prevent the type of damage described by Ex Finn. Second, it acts as a gauge to help determine the proper distance within each side rail as well as the proper distance between the side rails. If either dimension is out of specs, a flash may not mount, or when mounted, may not properly align with the various contacts.

Contrary to some thoughts, that cover's purpose is not to prevent short circuits, because your camera's hotshoe is acting like a switch, not a power source. The flash is the power source. I put my cover into storage and slipped a little inexpensive bubble level into its place. While the K-30 has an electronic level built-in, the bubble level is still rather useful for tripod based photography.