Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #1

Red Pixel in center on almost every picture

Hi team,

Am getting a red pixel or dead pixel in almost every picture and its exactly on the center. I was not able to see that until now and when I tried to crop one picture, I found that. Now I was able to see in almost every picture that I took. Am using K30 with 18-135mm WR lens. Is there any way to fix it or should I return it since its under warranty? Have enclosed a picture for reference.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
10-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Its normal to have some defective pixels. Check your manual. There should be a settings menu on your camera to correct defective pixels.
10-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Which camera are you using? Use the pixel mapping feature if it's a K-5 series. I am not sure if the others have this function but they should. I had this happen to me before and a quick run of Pixel Mapping fixed it.
10-06-2013, 07:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
Am using K30 with 18-135mm WR lens kit. I do have an option called "Pixel mapping" and I believe that is the one...Also it requires battery in full charge to run it...Hence charging the battery now...

10-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
I did pixel mapping and now am unable to find the dead pixel in couple of pictures. I will have to take couple of outdoor snaps to confirm it though. Is it a routine task to run pixel mapping when ever there is a dead pixel? I thought the dead pixel is related to hardware issue .....Anyway thanks guyz....
10-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

A bad pixel or two is not unusual. Sometimes a pixel is locked off, or in your case, locked on. What pixel mapping does is leave the shutter closed and test each and every one of the 16mp in your K-30. If a pixel does not respond appropriately, the camera will remove that pixel from its 'map' and interpolate what that pixel should be seeing from the pixels around it. And sometimes just exercising a pixel using pixel mapping will restore its function. While certainly not the same thing, the result of interpolating pixels is not a lot different from what jpeg algorithms do to reduce file size.

So long as bad pixels are few and not occurring in a group, it will be nearly impossible to tell if the pixel is now working or being ignored after pixel mapping. It doesn't hurt to run pixel mapping, but running it too frequently doesn't do anything for you either. Shy of obvious problems expressed by jaikumarr18, I try to run pixel mapping a couple times a year.
10-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
A bad pixel or two is not unusual. Sometimes a pixel is locked off, or in your case, locked on. What pixel mapping does is leave the shutter closed and test each and every one of the 16mp in your K-30. If a pixel does not respond appropriately, the camera will remove that pixel from its 'map' and interpolate what that pixel should be seeing from the pixels around it. And sometimes just exercising a pixel using pixel mapping will restore its function. While certainly not the same thing, the result of interpolating pixels is not a lot different from what jpeg algorithms do to reduce file size.

So long as bad pixels are few and not occurring in a group, it will be nearly impossible to tell if the pixel is now working or being ignored after pixel mapping. It doesn't hurt to run pixel mapping, but running it too frequently doesn't do anything for you either. Shy of obvious problems expressed by jaikumarr18, I try to run pixel mapping a couple times a year.
Thanks Jim. Had bit of issues with K30 since the beginning and hence wanted to make sure if everything is ok. I had dust in sensor on the brand new K30 when I initially purchased it a month back and hence had to return it. Due to lack of stock and waiting period, I had to opt for Canon 700D. Then I did not like the build quality on canon and hence returned it in couple of days and bought the K30 with 18-135mm kit (had to wait for 10 days for stock) couple of weeks back. Even that had dust in the sensor too but I cleaned it using jet blower since I dont want to return it and wait for couple of weeks for the stock to arrive. Now I have the hot pixel on the two weeks old camera and hence am really not sure whether to question pentax reliability or have to blame it on my luck. I purchased all these cameras from reliable store in the city with full warranty just to make sure I get the genuine stock even though the price is bit steep compared to on-line stores.
10-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

At least Pentax gives the option for their custmoers to map out those hot pixels, other cameras (Nikon?) don't have the option and they have to be sent in to get fixed.

10-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Like they say, pixel-mapping is your friend and thank you Pentax for giving us that option in the user menu.
10-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Dust in the sensor is common too. Just keep that jet blower handy and it usually does the trick.
10-07-2013, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
Totally agreed. Pixel mapping comes to our rescue. But I totally love my K30 and 18-135mm WR lens. They rock!!!!!!!!! thanks guyz