Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2013, 12:18 AM   #1

How many shots from AA batteries ?

I am using 4 Eneloop batteries - 1900 mAh. with my K-30. It takes only 2xx shots. Is this normal ?.

10-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A bit on the low side I'd say, but not unusual- you can expect AA's to give you about 60% the life of a rechargeable battery.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you using the flash? Autofocus? Liveview? Chimping? All these can affect the amount of life you get
out of the batteries.

Are your Eneloops old? I've got an old set of eneloops that I was using in my K200D, and they've pretty much had
it. Another old set of (rebranded) Eneloops seem to be working OK, but they don't last nearly as long as a set of Duracell
low-self-discharge rechargables that I got last year.

Sorry that I can't quote you a number of exposures, as I mostly use the lithium battery. Also, I don't use liveview, instant preview is turned off, I rarely use autofocus, and I don't use the flash, so my use case scenario may not match yours.

Cheers, R
10-09-2013, 06:04 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

What exactly is chimping?

10-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
What exactly is chimping?
Taking a picture, pulling the camera away from your face, looking at the picture, and saying "Ooooo!" Place camera back up to fave for another shot and repeat!

I think we all chimp a little bit, especially when checking histograms of test shots in a new location.
10-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Even with my old Eneloop sets (4), I average about 700, BUT I think the difference is the intelligent charger I use, a Maha...
10-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Check your connections to ensure they are clean. Check the individual batteries to make sure you don't have a slightly weak cell. With every element working just right, a good set of rechargeables should slightly outperform the dedicated battery but the variability is triggered by the lower battery voltage of the AAs. Finally, be sure to set the menu to indicate the type of AA battery you are using.
10-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You should be getting more. I do not have experience with rechargeables on any other camera body, and my experience with the K-30 is, that it tends to be a bit random, though later firmware updates improved this. Charging the batteries just before you need them helps but I still experience the camera "going dead" after maybe 100 shots (the record being some 60 exposures). Re-inserting the batteries (which I will at this point) can give me another 700-1200 shots (Sanyo XX batteries).

The OEM, in contrast, is rated for some 400 exposures without using the flash (correct me if I'm wrong). I rarely get to use the OEMs but on the previous 2 occasions I did, I got some 700-800 exposures. I'm completely baffled over this. The display is mostly on and I use AF a a lot. Not sure what could be giving me the extra juice.

10-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
The OEM, in contrast, is rated for some 400 exposures without using the flash (correct me if I'm wrong). I rarely get to use the OEMs but on the previous 2 occasions I did, I got some 700-800 exposures. I'm completely baffled over this. The display is mostly on and I use AF a a lot. Not sure what could be giving me the extra juice.
I used mine at a rugby match a while ago, shooting Hi continuous and got just over 1200 shots out of it, couldn't believe my eyes!
10-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
I used mine at a rugby match a while ago, shooting Hi continuous and got just over 1200 shots out of it, couldn't believe my eyes!
Lol, that's just... wow!
10-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Ever watch a streaming video on a slow connection? The computer's buffer fills and the video starts playing. But it drains the buffer slightly faster than it can be refilled. So some videos seem to stop a lot.

Batteries behave somewhat similarly, They have a 'buffer' of ready electricity, and during and between uses, the chemistry in the battery works to refill the buffer. If you do a lot of high energy actions in a short period of time, the battery may seem to have died. But let it rest for a bit and you'll find it isn't dead after all. I make it a habit to turn my camera off between shots unless I anticipate needing it again immediately. The camera only takes a few seconds to re-boot and you will find yellow battery indicators jumping back to green - at least for a bit.

+1 on using an intelligent charger that meters and charges each cell individually. In addition to the MAHA line (which can be a bit pricey), the Sanyo NC-MQR06W is a 1 to 4 cell intelligent charger made specifically for Sanyo eneloop batteries. It is small, portable, supports worldwide AC voltages and inexpensive. The downside is Sanyo doesn't sell it in the United States. Go to eBay and buy it from one of the international merchants for free shipping to the United States. Search the Forums. Somewhere in here is a thread showing how to remove the European style AC plug and expose the North American style plug hiding underneath it.

+1 on going into the menu and changing AA battery type from 'Auto' to NiMH. The built in meter has a tough enough time determining remaining capacity. Help it out some.

I wish I could tell you how many shots I get off a set of batteries, but it's never been worth my time to measure. I always have a spare set of eneloops in a spare AA adapter ready to load - and the swap time is certainly no longer than swapping the LiON battery. I learned when shooting film to plan and anticipate my shots. The few times I do spray and pray photography, I generally find my first shot was my best. Between turning off the camera and deliberately planning shots, it is rare that I don't get at least a full day on a set of batteries - and that night I will swap battery packs and put the used batteries on the charger, ready for another day. NiMH chemistry actually likes a bunch of shallow recharges much more fewer deep recharges.
10-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
You should be getting more. I do not have experience with rechargeables on any other camera body, and my experience with the K-30 is, that it tends to be a bit random, though later firmware updates improved this. Charging the batteries just before you need them helps but I still experience the camera "going dead" after maybe 100 shots (the record being some 60 exposures). Re-inserting the batteries (which I will at this point) can give me another 700-1200 shots (Sanyo XX batteries).

Believe it or not, I had only OEM (DLI-109) battery on my K30 (18-135mm WR) without spare when I went for whale watching last weekend. I took 2200 shots without live view and mostly in burst mode.... Format was jpeg and mostly in auto mode .....took very few shots with flash.....I still had 75% of battery remaining...But camera said that the battery needs to be recharged when I tried pixel mapping....So not sure if the battery percentage was right...But still I was totally surprised with that performance and immediately ordered for a spare LI-109 battery....That battery totally rocked....I dont have to go for AA adapter for my usage....
10-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
Are you using the flash? Autofocus? Liveview? Chimping? All these can affect the amount of life you get
out of the batteries.

Are your Eneloops old? I've got an old set of eneloops that I was using in my K200D, and they've pretty much had
it. Another old set of (rebranded) Eneloops seem to be working OK, but they don't last nearly as long as a set of Duracell
low-self-discharge rechargables that I got last year.

Sorry that I can't quote you a number of exposures, as I mostly use the lithium battery. Also, I don't use liveview, instant preview is turned off, I rarely use autofocus, and I don't use the flash, so my use case scenario may not match yours.

Cheers, R
Hi ! normally i don't use flash but autofocus , 10% of liveview are used.
I think my aa batteries are in the middle life.

Last edited by focusian; 10-09-2013 at 09:20 PM.
10-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think we all chimp a little bit,
Not as much fun on film cameras tho.

I just use my AA's while recharging my rechargeable. I went out last weekend with just an old partially used set of rechargeable Duracell's .I got around 150 shots before my indicator showed low battery and 10 more before it showed empty. I took around 10 more shots and headed home . I have no idea how many more shots I could have gotten if I had stayed. The set I was using had been in the camera a couple of times prior. I am not sure how many shots were taken prior my best guess would be around 100 or slightly more. I was using the flash on a few shots , no live view ,and occasionally chimping since it was fairly dark and I wanted to check myself .
10-09-2013, 06:44 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Ever watch a streaming video on a slow connection? The computer's buffer fills and the video starts playing. But it drains the buffer slightly faster than it can be refilled. So some videos seem to stop a lot.

Batteries behave somewhat similarly, They have a 'buffer' of ready electricity, and during and between uses, the chemistry in the battery works to refill the buffer. If you do a lot of high energy actions in a short period of time, the battery may seem to have died. But let it rest for a bit and you'll find it isn't dead after all. I make it a habit to turn my camera off between shots unless I anticipate needing it again immediately. The camera only takes a few seconds to re-boot and you will find yellow battery indicators jumping back to green - at least for a bit.

+1 on using an intelligent charger that meters and charges each cell individually. In addition to the MAHA line (which can be a bit pricey), the Sanyo NC-MQR06W is a 1 to 4 cell intelligent charger made specifically for Sanyo eneloop batteries. It is small, portable, supports worldwide AC voltages and inexpensive. The downside is Sanyo doesn't sell it in the United States. Go to eBay and buy it from one of the international merchants for free shipping to the United States. Search the Forums. Somewhere in here is a thread showing how to remove the European style AC plug and expose the North American style plug hiding underneath it.

+1 on going into the menu and changing AA battery type from 'Auto' to NiMH. The built in meter has a tough enough time determining remaining capacity. Help it out some.

I wish I could tell you how many shots I get off a set of batteries, but it's never been worth my time to measure. I always have a spare set of eneloops in a spare AA adapter ready to load - and the swap time is certainly no longer than swapping the LiON battery. I learned when shooting film to plan and anticipate my shots. The few times I do spray and pray photography, I generally find my first shot was my best. Between turning off the camera and deliberately planning shots, it is rare that I don't get at least a full day on a set of batteries - and that night I will swap battery packs and put the used batteries on the charger, ready for another day. NiMH chemistry actually likes a bunch of shallow recharges much more fewer deep recharges.
Thank you Jim i will recheck what i set for batteries , AA battery type or 'Auto' to NiMH to see how different.

And.. thank you every one for sharing your idea.