Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 696
Need viewfinder advice

Taking pictures in the daylight today, with 16-45mm lens, and using Spot exposure and focus.

1. Noticed that, if I did an AE/L exposure lock, the little asterisk would come on in the optical viewfinder... but the viewfinder bottom-line display would go black after about 15 seconds... then, when I pressed the shutter button halfway again to re-activate the display line, the exposure lock asterisk was gone. Is there a way to keep the exposure locked and displayed until a second press of the AE/L button?

2. Using live view on the back screen, noticed that the K-30 shows bright red areas where you are overexposing the image. Is there a way to turn off this feature, so I can just see the image without the red overexposure warning areas?

Thanks in advance for any tips... I've looked through the manual about all this, and didn't find anything...

10-12-2013, 11:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,291
On all my Pentax cams the AE/L stays locked until I take a shot no matter if the OVF display goes blank

Bright/Dark view is under 'Instant Review' and under 'Live View' on the K-7 and under Live View on the K-01.

I assume it would be similar on the K-30

Edit: Page 176 and page 212 of the K-03 manual, Jon.
Edit#2: On the K-01 and the Q the AE/L remains on even after a shot, only disappears when I access another option

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 10-12-2013 at 11:45 PM.
10-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,741
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Taking pictures in the daylight today, with 16-45mm lens, and using Spot exposure and focus.

1. Noticed that, if I did an AE/L exposure lock, the little asterisk would come on in the optical viewfinder... but the viewfinder bottom-line display would go black after about 15 seconds... then, when I pressed the shutter button halfway again to re-activate the display line, the exposure lock asterisk was gone. Is there a way to keep the exposure locked and displayed until a second press of the AE/L button?
No, but you can use manual mode instead and use green button to set exposure. Then the exposure will be locked until you press green button again.
This is my preferred mode using spot metering, and I have set the green button in manual mode to be TV-shift.

AE-lock will only be activated as long as exposure meter is active. But you can choose to have exposure meter active for longer time. (up to 30s).
10-12-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 696
Original Poster
Thanks Steve -- the one for 'Instant Review' -- page 212 -- worked... I unchecked it and the red/yellow areas are gone.

But I'm still puzzled by the optical vewfinder display line turning off and erasing my AE/L exposure lock!

EDIT -- scratch that last -- thanks, Fogel70! Found the 30-sec optical viewfinder display setting, on C Custom menu page 1, choice 4. Thirty seconds should work just fine.


Last edited by jon404; 10-13-2013 at 12:05 AM.
10-13-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,741
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
EDIT -- scratch that last -- thanks, Fogel70! Found the 30-sec optical viewfinder display setting, on C Custom menu page 1, choice 4. Thirty seconds should work just fine.
Checked to K-30 manual, and it seems like AE-L will be active for twice the exposure metering operating time on K-30. So with 30s operating time the AE-L should be on for a full minute.
10-13-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 696
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Checked to K-30 manual, and it seems like AE-L will be active for twice the exposure metering operating time on K-30. So with 30s operating time the AE-L should be on for a full minute.
Thanks again -- today, I was waiting for a train to come by, pre-focused and with a suitable exposure lock. Thought the K-30 would just hold it until I pushed the button a second time, like the K-01. Next time, will work with the one-minute limit. Or maybe resuscitate the K-01 for this kind of thing!
10-13-2013, 02:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Fogel70's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,741
You can also use LV on K-30 to get it to work the same way as K-01.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
asterisk, button, display, exposure, image, k-30, k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Repair Advice MaKettle Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 09-09-2013 04:42 AM
Cracked viewfinder - any advice? fstdslrkx Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 21 08-03-2012 10:26 AM
Newbie need advice hamrio Pentax K-5 13 07-27-2012 10:31 AM
Need Lens Advice john mood Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 01-23-2012 09:43 AM
Sold lens ... now need advice on what I need jpzk Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 11-29-2009 10:32 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top