Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

K-30 & K-5 Raw Formats The Same?

Both the K-30 and the K-5 create DNG Raw formats, but are they the same or are there subtle differences? There's an interesting Raw development program out there called Lightzone which supports the Pentax K-5 but no mention of the K-30, so I got to wondering if they're both the same.
What about substituting a K-5 profile as-is for the K-30?

10-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, DNG is only a container for raw data and some other added information (like lens information, time and date).
There might be many differences between the files, maybe its only the raw data that is recorded differently, maybe not even that. With raw processing software it is probably simply that the software doesnt recognize the camera ID and doesnt even try.
I suggest you email the Lightzone and maybe send them a dng file taken with the K-30, so they can add compatibility in a patch.
OR you can try to edit the dng file and change the camera tag and see if the software will read it. But this isnt very convenient.
10-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Forum Member

one is 12 bits and the other one 14 bits. Hardly the same file
10-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidt Quote
Both the K-30 and the K-5 create DNG Raw formats, but are they the same or are there subtle differences? There's an interesting Raw development program out there called Lightzone which supports the Pentax K-5 but no mention of the K-30, so I got to wondering if they're both the same.
They are close, but not quite the same. LR definitely supports the K-30 though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Schmidt Quote
At risk of asking the obvious question, did you try opening a K-30 DNG file in Lightzone?
10-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
12 vs 14 ... That answers my question. BTW, thanks for the reminder dng is just a container!

Ichabod, I haven't tried opening it...Lightzone is still beta and requires a camera profile to boot - there is no K-30 profile as yet. Furthermore, someone at the LZ forums had asked if the K-30 was supported (they have a K-5 profile, a K-x profile, and one for the K-r from what I gather), and the developers said no. So I thought maybe there might be a simple hack; by the sounds of it there isn't.

As a rule I don't download programs still branded "beta" but the upcoming release looks so good I just had to ask. On my Linux machine choices are limited compared with Windows, so every time some good-looking Raw software comes out it gets my attention. I've tried RawTherapee and Darktable and they just didn't feel right (for different reasons). I could probably force myself to like Darktable, but here's hoping that LZ starts support for my camera.

Thanks all.
10-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

DPreview, in their review of the k-30, makes reference to the K-30 doing more processing of the RAW image, as far as sharpening and NR, in comparison to the K-5 RAW image.