Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #1

K-30 freezing?

Since yesterday I have noticed that my K-30 will not turn on. I have to pull battery out.

The shutter button does nothing, nothing presented in the viewfinder, nothing in the screen. I have noticed that getting the SD card in/out does nothing (as opposed when not frozen, in which case pulling the SD card in/out makes the back LED flash couple times)

The only solution that I see to work is to pull battery in/out

anyone experiencing this?

Thanks,

10-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
Since yesterday I have noticed that my K-30 will not turn on. I have to pull battery out.

The shutter button does nothing, nothing presented in the viewfinder, nothing in the screen. I have noticed that getting the SD card in/out does nothing (as opposed when not frozen, in which case pulling the SD card in/out makes the back LED flash couple times)

The only solution that I see to work is to pull battery in/out

anyone experiencing this?

Thanks,
Happens to me every once in awhile.
10-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #3

Original Poster
well... at least i know im not the only one. I was going to blame the new 1.05 FW as I never saw this with 1.04
10-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nothing with 1.05, but I had a few lockups with 1.00 and 1.01 when I was playing around with various old flashes.

10-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not just the K30, the other models do this too. From what I've gathered, it's an overcharge issue. Do you notice it happens with fully charged batteries more often than partially discharged?
10-14-2013, 01:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Do you notice it happens with fully charged batteries more often than partially discharged?
well.. right now it has happened with my battery half way gone. Have only experienced this now, so from my end doesn't look like that.
10-14-2013, 04:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The same thing has happened to me before with my K-30. It did not matter what the charge status was of my eneloops or the Pentax battery. It was resolved by taking the battery out, waiting about 5 second and putting the battery/batteries back in.

10-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #8

Yep, happens to me too. I had hoped the new firmware might fix it, but I got it the other day again.
10-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, i just bought this k-30 new. it's my first Pentax. and already it has frozen three times in one week. Twice while exploring the menus once during a photo preview. I have noticed the camera's AI playing "catch up" a couple times. I just waited and it got up to speed. I turned off astrotracer and dis-selected GPS time sync. so far no issues. That's not say it won't happen again though.
I never had this problem with my Sonys, but every camera brand and model has its own little issues.

PS Firmware 1.01
10-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I sometimes hangs when using Transcend memory card, when using SanDisk I do not have any problems! I used all the software that have been in circulation for K30, I came to the conclusion that K30 is very sensitive to the quality of the memory card
10-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #11
Forum Member

That could be the cause for crashes - the memory card.
I have firmware 1.05 installed on my K-30 and have the "Panasonic Gold SDHC 16GB Class 10 UHS-I" card in use.
It is an excellent, fast memory card and I had no issues so far, not one crash where I had to take the battery out.
(No crashes with 1.00, 1.04, 1.05 Firmware)

I have to admit though, that one time after taking off the lens, remounting it, checking for dust, unmounting & blowing out dust, remounting - I had the weird and terryfing issue that the rotary wheel on the back (aperture control) could be turned back and forth and the aperture value didn't change at all!
I admit that I was shocked, thought that the electrical wiring had broken. Everything else worked.
After turning "her" (K-30) off and then on again everything was fine again - puh, the sigh of relief that I did...
10-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #12

Original Poster
i wonder if this could actually be related to the memory card... In my case, i noticed that the problem occurred when i put the memory card into my camera. That is:

I had the memory card inside my camera. Turn it off and put it in my PC
put it back to the camera, and turned it on... (camera is frozen by now)

I wonder if:
the is a contact dirty in my camera that creates some sort of problem?
the memory card did not initialized after camera put power to it so that camera is waiting forever until memory card responds ?

who knows,,, I will try checking out a different memory card and report back. Its kinda random. so not sure if this will happen soon (or ever again)
10-15-2013, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Oh well, I hope it is not an SD-card-door issue.
I know how delicate electrical contacts can be, so I avoid taking the card out to transfer photos to the PC.
I only touch the SD-card-door if I am on a travel, cannot transfer to a PC and the card is full - then I exchange cards.

I prefer the usage of the USB-plug, although I heard that these connectors also suffer over time and can break loose.

This is a sad Youtube Video I found and I hope it is not the case with your K-30.

10-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #14

Original Poster
I think that sound more like it.
I will keep an eye on this. Worst case scenario, I have the 3 year warranty on it
10-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bernie_Rain Quote
Oh well, I hope it is not an SD-card-door issue.
I know how delicate electrical contacts can be, so I avoid taking the card out to transfer photos to the PC.
I only touch the SD-card-door if I am on a travel, cannot transfer to a PC and the card is full - then I exchange cards.

I prefer the usage of the USB-plug, although I heard that these connectors also suffer over time and can break loose.

This is a sad Youtube Video I found and I hope it is not the case with your K-30.

K-30 sd-card compartment door defect - YouTube

Now that IS interesting!