Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #16

Over the last 3 or 4 years especially, I've looked at other peoples pictures and wanted to throw my camera up against a wall.

Almost daily.

But then you know what? I had an epiphany of sorts. Sure I get a good shot once in a while. And I take a LOT of fluff stuff that from a technical, critical standpoint is crap. (You can see what I consider some of my better stuff in my Viewbug albums, link in sig *shameless plug* )Then I realized WHO I take pictures for.

Me.

Yup. I came to realize that someday I might get better... I might not... but I stopped taking others opinions of my work so seriously and put what was really important front and center. I take pictures because I like to. I take pictures of things I enjoy. I take pictures of things that are important to me or my family and if someone else along the way likes a few of them too well thats cool but I'm not taking pictures to make money or to become famous... I take them because its MY hobby.

Don't give up. Just refocus on the most important person you are taking the pictures for... and that person is in your mirror. So they may not be the most beautiful pictures in the world or the most spectacular from a technical stand point and will never be published in Nat Geo. So what! As long as YOU like them and as long as YOU are enjoying what you do... don't give up on yourself or your camera!

But hey if you ever do want to toss that old K50 into the trash... my can has some room... just sayin'...

10-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
All you guys, THANKS very much for your comments and insights.
As some background, I am NOT a newbie to cameras. Over the course of my 65 years , I have been into and owned many different types of cameras. I had my own home darkroom and shot and developed LOTS of Tri-X B+W and Ektachrome slides. I currently still own about 50 or so film cameras dating back to the VERY early 1900's. My dad used to own a FULL service 1 stop photo shop in Berlin Germany where I was born, so I have been around the silly things forever.
What has me frustrated, I guess, is that these new DIGITAL slrs are SO sophisticated and SO capable of SO many marvelous things that my brain hurts just trying to comprehend it all.
The K-50, as indeed the K-30 and K-01 take phenomenal photos, even in AUTO mode, and I probably have 20 lenses I can use with them with my Universal to Pentax adapter, but I seriously question if I NEED all this.
That is my main dilemma.
Regards
Bernd
10-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #18
Emperor and Senpai

If you do not enjoy it, then no, it is not needed. You should do it only if you get joy out of it.
10-15-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You don't need fancy gear, Pentax or otherwise.
You just need good subjects to shoot, and an audience (of one, perhaps) to appreciate your work.

10-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #20
Pentaxian

When I got my K5 I took a few neat shots and thought, wow this is going to be fun. After that I was unable to take a decent shot for about three months. The darn thing did exactly what I told it to do, which was unfortunate. Eventually I learned a few things and started getting some decent shots.

I refuse to have a piece of metal and plastic and glass, no matter how well put together, make a fool of me. I will prevail!
10-15-2013, 09:17 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Sounds like a case of lifelong GAS and delayed buyer-remorse (AKA: crippling guilt)

Try this. Put away all your cameras and lenses except one, and shoot only with that setup for a month (at least), try to shoot every day - even in the backyard, doesn't matter what it is.
10-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BerndM Quote
Over the last 2 years, I have bought, and returned, more cameras than you can shake a stick at including the Pentax K-01, K-30 and now I am seriously contemplating returning the K-50.
I have sadly come to the realization that no matter how good the equipment's capabilities are, MINE will never rise to the same level.
It has FINALLY sunk thru my thick German skull, that I don't have an ounce of creative imagination with which to put any of these fine cameras to use.
I'm still not 100% sure I'll return the K-50 (2 lens kit) but I'm heavily leaning in that direction.
I'll just satisfy myself with my reliable, and apparently suitable to me, Sony HX-100/v superzoom and call it good.
Ya gotz to know your limitations, and I apparently have discovered mine.
Regards
Bernd

BTW....I think the K-50 is the best DSLR I have had the fun to try.
you need lenses, not new cameras... before you quit, may I suggest you to try a prime lens? a 50mm to start.

(that's how you get into LBA...)

Lee
10-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Not having auto-focus or auto exposure will wear you down. That's enough to take the joy out of photography right there. So +1 tot he above post. You use those pld lenses when you get really inspired. I have a K-mount M 135 lens that we picked up relatively cheap and it never gets off the shelf. Using it is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. It feels so good when you stop.

10-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I think most of us shoot with a just a few core lenses and in a couple of modes. Mostly I use TAv, keep the ISO in a comfortable range, and just go outside and take pictures. The camera will let you be as technical as you want, or as "brain-free" as you want. You're going to miss some shots either way. RAW helps a lot, though, it really lets you recover bad exposures. It gives you a huge margin for error.

I'd focus on one mode for the time being - as I've said I think TAv gives the most flexibility as a walkaround mode, since it's two-in-one. But you have to figure out where you're comfortable.
10-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What has me frustrated, I guess, is that these new DIGITAL slrs are SO sophisticated and SO capable of SO many marvelous things that my brain hurts just trying to comprehend it all.
If you own a new DSLR, video modes, hdr, liveview, and many other marvelous features are now part of the package to be used or totally ignored if you want. Ignoring them isn't wrong if you have no use for them, or find they over-complicate things. Familiarize yourself with the basic picture taking buttons that you've used all your life and fly at it.
10-16-2013, 08:05 AM   #26
Pentaxian

I use AV mode exactly like I did with film. Set the Aperture, let the camera set the exposure. Watch to see if your exposure gets below 1/15 (because of shake reduction 1/15 is the new 1/60) but unlike film, when my exposure gets too slow, I can increase the ISO up to 1600 to keep my shutter speed up. It's hardly any different than what I used to do, except because of the ISO adjustment I have an additional 4 stops to play with (6 if you count the 2 stops added by SR). Whats not to like?

Couple that with checking your histogram and adjusting the EV (the old +- on the dial on top of the film camera) and you're laughing. Honestly, that's everything you need... everything else is just frills.
10-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #27

Over the last 2 years, I have bought, and returned, more cameras than you can shake a stick at including the Pentax K-01, K-30 and now I am seriously contemplating returning the K-50.
I have sadly come to the realization that no matter how good the equipment's capabilities are, MINE will never rise to the same level.
It has FINALLY sunk thru my thick German skull, that I don't have an ounce of creative imagination with which to put any of these fine cameras to use.
I'm still not 100% sure I'll return the K-50 (2 lens kit) but I'm heavily leaning in that direction.
I'll just satisfy myself with my reliable, and apparently suitable to me, Sony HX-100/v superzoom and call it good.
Ya gotz to know your limitations, and I apparently have discovered mine.
Regards
Bernd

BTW....I think the K-50 is the best DSLR I have had the fun to try.
The Pentax K50 is a great tool. As with all the other replies, pick out the mode you feel best it just try taking pictures subject matter you like. As time goes on, read some books about things you like experiment with the camera in different modes. There are days that even the most creative minds have dry spells. The cameras I use range from my simple cell phone camera to the Pentax K-m. It is surprising how a little bright spot in the day (or night time) can help get you into seeing a subject in a creative way!
10-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
+1 to Freeman Paterson, The Art of Seeing a book I've been recommending to photography students for over 20 years.
Great book. Ought to be required reading.
10-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #29

As some background, I am NOT a newbie to cameras.

The K-50, as indeed the K-30 and K-01 take phenomenal photos, even in AUTO mode, and I probably have 20 lenses I can use with them with my Universal to Pentax adapter, but I seriously question if I NEED all this.
I can relate to your main point: "But I seriously question if I NEED all this."

The same can be said about computers and all sorts of technological things in our life. We tend to get caught up in the technical innovations and the marketing spins. Myriad details about the gear tend to become our object of attention.

I agonized for a long time before purchasing a K-5 IIs. (Now, you can ask me why not a K-5 or a K-5 II, or "even" a K-30 or a K-50. Well...) Now, I spend time "researching" lenses! But, between you and me, I don't think we essentially need an advanced DSLR to enjoy photography. A decent P&S camera that supports PASM and fits in the jacket pocket can be useful most of the time.
10-22-2013, 03:10 AM   #30
bvg

Photos: Albums
1. Do not mix creativity and technical skills.
2. Anybody has a piece of creativity. It should be developed.

Just read a simplest book about digital photography and you will find very interesting things there.