Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #1

Newbie needs help with K30

Hi guys,
I just recently got my k30 along with Lexar 16 GB Professional 400x SDHC UHS-I Card.
The K30 seems to be brand new with only 1 shutter count, Lexar SDHC card had its seal on.
Okay. Here comes the issue.[Happened three times since I got it from 9/28, so roughly 17 days?]
1.Very first turn on with SD card installed. "Memory card error". Turn off the camera and on, works flawlessly.
2.Same day's night, upgraded to firmware V1.05. Turn off the camera and then on to complete the upgrade. "Memory card error". So I Turn off the
camera and on, works flawlessly.
3. Last time battery was depleted, so I rechrage the battery. Put it back in. Today when I turn it on, "Memory card error". Again, off then on, works
fine.

What's wrong....?! Should I be worried about anything? Some say it's might be the SD card o.o should I run some sort of SD card test?

10-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try formatting the card in-camera (via the setup menu). That should get you up and running, unless of course the card is busted.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-16-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-30 is not fully compatible with all SDHC USH-1 cards. For example the Sony SF-16UY 16gb 40mbs SDHC UHS-1 wont work at all, It will give you the error as soon as you put it in. (yet it works fine in the PC and the JVC camcorder). A couple of other cards reported to not work is the Samsung 16GB Class 10 microSDHC UHS-1 with adapter. and Samsung 32GB Class 10 SDHC UHS1 as well as a few others.

However some other SDHC UHS-1 cards may format but will give intermittent errors.

I'm currently using a Polaroid SDHC UHS-1 35mbs 16gb. with no errors. it worked as soon as i poped it in. But who knows for how long.

Last edited by OldNoob; 10-16-2013 at 01:02 AM.
10-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there may be some problems with these cards. I use the Lexar professional 32 Gb cards and the K-01 should be compatible but I get the memory card error a lot. Use the class 10 32 Gb and no problems. Use the UHS in the K-5 and no problems, although does not use the full speed capability. Haven't had any problems in the wife's K30. Looking forward to using the UHS in the K3 hope the problems are solved.

10-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have had problems with Lexar cards (32gb ones).

I have had no problems with Sandisk and Eye-Fi cards.
10-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Forum Member

I had a problem with a samsung sd card, don't know why but it wouldnt work
10-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Try formatting the card in-camera (via the setup menu). That should get you up and running, unless of course the card is busted.
I do only format SD card in-camera. o.o So I guess my Lexar card is somewhat a little bit unstable for K-30 from the replies above.

I guess I will continue using my Lexar card, since I don't want to pay for the return shipping, or buy another one and put this supposes-to-work-fine card aside.

>.< Hopefully no tragedy will happen
10-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lawjie Quote
I do only format SD card in-camera. o.o So I guess my Lexar card is somewhat a little bit unstable for K-30 from the replies above.

I guess I will continue using my Lexar card, since I don't want to pay for the return shipping, or buy another one and put this supposes-to-work-fine card aside.

>.< Hopefully no tragedy will happen
If it was me, I would pay attention to the warning signs and avoid the high possibility of a total failure. Most assuredly, it will come right after you capture the best image ever.

I pretty much tend to avoid going with the maximum possible capacity card because it is best to travel with two smaller cards at all times - so two 16 gb cards are going give you much better security and typically more-consistent performance.

Cards are a very inexpensive necessity; but potential downsides are huge considering the minimum investment involved.

10-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
If it was me, I would pay attention to the warning signs and avoid the high possibility of a total failure. Most assuredly, it will come right after you capture the best image ever.

I pretty much tend to avoid going with the maximum possible capacity card because it is best to travel with two smaller cards at all times - so two 16 gb cards are going give you much better security and typically more-consistent performance.

Cards are a very inexpensive necessity; but potential downsides are huge considering the minimum investment involved.
I was thinking about your suggestion last night. and This morning I grab my DSLR to shoot some lovely pics in San Francisco. Later on when I want to take some photos of food...I think the SD card is totally down >.< Lucky before today I stored all of the pics from SD card to my computer.

Now think about it. You're right. cards are cheap. But don't have the card when I want to shoot the pics, is making me having this impulse to go to local nearest store to buy a SD card at all cost. xD
10-17-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'm not a big fan of Sony (well, I like the sensors they put in the Pentax DSLRs!),[COLOR="Olive"] but you really can't wrong with getting fast Class 10 UHS-1 16 GB units from Adorama shipped free for under $12 each.
Edit: NOT - I didn't realize the reference was the same Sony card (not well identified in the listing). I'd follow OldNoob's advice to avoid.

Yes, you can spend twice as much and get, possibly, 10% quicker buffer clearance, but I rarely need that for shooting fast action with Pentax (although the brand is starting to get a bit more competitive in that category). If you want to spend more, I'd go with Panasonic as I believe they are the most dependable - with all units coming out of Japan. I avoid SanDisk because they are expensive and you see too many counterfeits out there.

I would never use a mini-SD in any slot designed for the larger size; it likely will work but it is a unnecessary compromise. I haven't used any UHS cards in the K-30, and have fine performance from several cards without them. Probably a good idea to go with the regular Class 10 units.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 10-18-2013 at 04:55 AM.
10-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
I'm not a big fan of Sony (well, I like the sensors they put in the Pentax DSLRs!), but you really can't wrong with getting fast Class 10 UHS-1 16 GB units from Adorama shipped free for under $12 each.
Sony 16GB UHS1 R40 Class 10 High Speed SDHC Memory Card SF16UY/TQMN.

Yes, you can spend twice as much and get, possibly, 10% quicker buffer clearance, but I rarely need that for shooting fast action with Pentax (although the brand is starting to get a bit more competitive in that category). If you want to spend more, I'd go with Panasonic as I believe they are the most dependable - with all units coming out of Japan. I avoid SanDisk because they are expensive and you see too many counterfeits out there.
I don't buy Sony's products.

And since the k30 manual didn't mention anything about SDHC UHS-1/UHS-I. I was thinking if I get a a non UHS one, maybe the camera won't give me the error anymore?

I was also thinking getting a miniSD with an adapter-Patriot Signature 16 GB Class 10 microSDHC Card with SDHC Adapter, something like this. I think miniSD cards are more flexiable(use in a phone; only there is a miniSD card slot)?
10-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by scootermaxi jim Quote
i'm not a big fan of sony (well, i like the sensors they put in the pentax dslrs!), but you really can't wrong with getting fast class 10 uhs-1 16 gb units from adorama shipped free for under $12 each.
sony 16gb uhs1 r40 class 10 high speed sdhc memory card sf16uy/tqmn.

Yes, you can spend twice as much and get, possibly, 10% quicker buffer clearance, but i rarely need that for shooting fast action with pentax (although the brand is starting to get a bit more competitive in that category). If you want to spend more, i'd go with panasonic as i believe they are the most dependable - with all units coming out of japan. I avoid sandisk because they are expensive and you see too many counterfeits out there.
warning read my post. the 16UY will not work in the K-30
10-18-2013, 01:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Sandisk Extreme 16Gb 45Mb/s cards work so well in the K-30 I wouldn't ever buy anything else. They do seem to be a lot more expensive now than a year ago though.
10-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #14

Had no issues with Sandisk Extreme 64Gb 45Mb/s on my K-30. Sandisk extreme are the best bet IMO.
10-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaikumarr18 Quote
Had no issues with Sandisk Extreme 64Gb 45Mb/s on my K-30. Sandisk extreme are the best bet IMO.
Holy Jesus... 64GB...how much spaces have you used....

I just got my SanDisk 16GB Ultra microSDHC UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card with SD Card Adapter today. Hopefully this SD card will be all good.