Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Rear scroll wheel not working properly

I received my new k-30 today and can't get the rear scroll wheel to work properly. For example, if I am in M mode and configure the rear wheel to control the aperture, I can't adjust it. Moving the scroll wheel will change exposure compensation, but nothing else. If I configure the rear wheel to control the shutter speed, the same thing is happening. If I use the front wheel, everything is fine, until I touch the rear one, then the front wheel won't work anymore and I can only change the exposure compensation again. If I keep the shutter half pressed or if I hold the "ok" button, the rear wheel works just fine... Using the +/- button won't toggle between the proper parameter and the exposure compensation like it did on my k-x. I updated the firmware to version 1.05 and nothing changed. I also tried resetting all parameters, but that didn't change anything. Anybody has an idea of what is wrong, or will I have to return it?

10-16-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

Do you have ISO set to Auto? Try using set value.
10-16-2013, 05:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
Tried a fixed iso setting, same thing is happening. This time, it would not power on until I opened and closed the sd card door. So I tried a new card, but that did not change anything. Each time I remove the battery, the camera won't power on if I don't open and close the sd card door. I though my mind was playing tricks on me, but I tried it multiple time and it does the same each time. I may have got a lemon!
10-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

OH Oh i had the same issue!!, but now i cant remember what i did!! the answer are here in the forum somewhere. it a simple matter of turning off a feature. Also silly question here, has it got an SD in it?

10-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #5

Original Poster
Yes it has an sd card in it. I tried 2 different card, both high quality card that I formatted in the camera.
10-17-2013, 06:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
If I press the "OK" button and turn the rear wheel at the same time, I can change the desired parameter. If I touch the rear wheel, the front one stops working until I half press the shutter button. Just trowing that here in case someone has an idea of what parameter could be wrong.
10-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try to reset it to default settings, see if that will fix it. Section with the wrench icon, tab 2.

10-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #8

Original Poster
That doesn't work either...
10-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Is it the same in all shooting modes? or just Manual?
If you try it in U1 and "Save" the settings. does it still do it?

Had a similar problem, i remember now. In my case, i had to fully charge the battery first, because there was something Wonky going on with the factory charge that came with the battery. Not saying that's your issue though.
Also,,Are you using the kit lens? if you had another lens to check it you could rule out the lens.
I know its frustrating, but if if all else fails and you did buy it "New" from a reputable vender. they should exchange it if its been under 30 days.

Last edited by OldNoob; 10-17-2013 at 11:22 AM.
10-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Did you try using the front scroll wheel?

Sorry...I just read your post more carefully.
10-17-2013, 11:51 AM   #11
Forum Member

Try ruling out a "hardware defect". Turn the camera off, take the battery out, charge it to full, reinsert it.
Push the lens release button, take the lens off and remount it making sure it clicks into place properly.
Switch the mode dial to AV and turn the camera on (inside the in-camera-formatted SD card of course).

Now look if the back-scroll-wheel controls the aperture and if not look at the display if the exposure compensation is highlighted.

These steps are what I would do in this situation...
10-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bernie_Rain Quote
Try ruling out a "hardware defect". Turn the camera off, take the battery out, charge it to full, reinsert it.
Push the lens release button, take the lens off and remount it making sure it clicks into place properly.
Switch the mode dial to AV and turn the camera on (inside the in-camera-formatted SD card of course).

Now look if the back-scroll-wheel controls the aperture and if not look at the display if the exposure compensation is highlighted.

These steps are what I would do in this situation...
I tried all that and nothing has changed. I will call pentax canada tomorrow.
10-18-2013, 03:36 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
I tried all that and nothing has changed. I will call pentax canada tomorrow.
Something is wrong with your K-30, that's for sure. Have read your first post again and the camera not switching modes pressing the +/- button is not normal.
However, if I would be in your situation and would have bought a K-30 brand new which comes defective, I would repackage it like it was, put a sheet "defective" on top, send the vendor an e-mail with the facts & wish for replacement - and send it back.
I don't know how it is in Canada, here in Germany you have 2 weeks to send an item (online bought) back without any justification.
However it would be unfair to the next customer sending it back without making clear that it's defective.

If you want to call Pentax Canada that's perfectly o.k., but I would not wait 4-6 weeks for a brand new item to be repaired.
10-18-2013, 03:59 AM   #14

Original Poster
Another thing that is strange, if I hold the "+/-" button whit the interrupter in the off position, the camera will turn on and be fully functional, until I release the button. That is definitively not normal!
10-18-2013, 05:36 AM   #15
Forum Member

Oh man, that definitely su.ks! I'm so sorry for you, but that behaviour is a proof for me that some electrical wiring / contacts are broken.
If you bought it brand new - online or not - repackage it with care and all items, make clear to the seller that it is defective and ask for a replacement - I'd do that.