Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2013, 02:52 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have a K-30 with the OEM battery, a knockoff battery, and an adapter with eneloops. I can't tell the knockoff from the OEM, but surprisingly, the eneloops last much longer. I had read other posts stating this but was skeptical, but the eneloops convinced me.
I have the exactly same setup as yours.
One original battery in the camera, one knockoff/oem in the camera bag, plus the AA adaptor and 8 eneloops for backup.
The eneloops are also for my flash gun and LED panel for video.
Honestly though, ever since I "upgraded" to my K-30 (from a Panasonic FZ-30), I rarely have to touch my flash gun anymore. The high iso performance of the K-30 is that good for me.

So far, the 2 oem type batteries are enough to handle my shooting needs, including shooting 90 mins of soccer games. I have never had the chance to employ the adaptor yet.

10-19-2013, 02:54 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Very possibe. i just charged the battery again, took 96 photos and it is already halfway depleted .
96 all flash shots?

In no way a healthy battery would last this short.
10-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Very possibe. i just charged the battery again, took 96 photos and it is already halfway depleted .
Are you sure it's half-way depleted? The camera doesn't really give a reliable indication of those things.
10-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Are you sure it's half-way depleted? The camera doesn't really give a reliable indication of those things.
very true, it fluctuates between 3/4 and 1/2 but still doesn't last past around 200 shots

10-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I do have the battery adapter for my K30 and shot several hundred photos and some video during America's cup. I used Tenergy LSD AA batteries, and at the end of the day, still showed full charge! I didn't use the flash, but I was shooting bursts, and at least 15 minutes of video.

The Lithium battery pack whether Pentax or after market needs to be completed cycled at least three times before it will achieve full capacity. My smartphone batteries would only last a few hours when new, and now after a couple of dozen cycles each, they last nearly a day.
10-25-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
Veteran Member

On my old K-x (screen now dead), Energizer Lithium batteries would last well past 1000 shots without flash.
I used it w/o change on a 2 week vacation to Hawaii, and another 2 week trip to Alaska and this summer on a road trip to Canada (screen was dead this year - and lasted even longer )
Pick up a cheap 12 pack at Sams Club/Costco for ~$14 as 'spare'.
Since I have the K-30 now, I did pick up a spare set of batteries off Amazon for $16, and a AA kit for $2.

AA's - never know when you need them - but can get them almost anywhere.
LiIon pack - may have to wait a while for a charge or not have your charger with you - and these batteries aren't available everywhere. For a $2 investment - an AA charger is well worth it IMHO.
10-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The AA's seem to last a lot longer in my K-x than they do in the K-30. The battery that comes with the K-30 stinks. It's tiny and small. They'd have done better to use the same battery as the K-01, and skip the AA compatibility. The K-01 battery lasts forever and a day. As much as I like having the ability to use AA's in a pinch, the K-01 battery is just so awesome I've never needed to.

Charles.

10-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
the K-01 battery is just so awesome I've never needed to
Ever tried to take 5000 shots in one day with it? The AA adapter with Eneloop batteries charged in a smart charger, average 700 shots per set, keeps me very happy...
11-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #24

I bought a knock off AA holder on the big A. It was far cheaper than the Pentax and is good enough in quality. Four eneloops and a charger run $20 and the holder is about $6 including shipping. Far cheaper that a second Pentax battery and it last longer.
11-04-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Really? I spent $12 for a replacement Li-109 off of the auction site. Seems to be just as good as the original Pentax.

Charles.
11-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Really? I spent $12 for a replacement Li-109 off of the auction site. Seems to be just as good as the original Pentax.

Charles.
I do, but, eneloop battery after 1.5 years without losing capacity (black 2400mAh/ and white /1900mAh ), but these cheap replacement Li-109 after seven months can not maintain the capacity of more than 1 ~ 2 months (big discharge),
depends on what is more important to you-more necessary, ready at any time, regardless of time or commotion easier / faster / cheaper / more times changing the battery, Pentax there is an alternative, yeah
11-04-2013, 03:26 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Don't get me wrong. I already have the AA adapter for the K-30. Because the Li-109's just run out too quickly, even with a backup. But the K-01 batteries last forever. I have two of them, and while they last forever, I do admit I've never done 5000 photos in a day. That seems... ridiculous, honestly. Even for a shotgun approach, that's a bit much. But then, I'm not a pro. This is just a hobby for me.

Charles.
11-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #28
Veteran Member

That seems... ridiculous, honestly
You tell me, I did it for free, we have two high schools that have an interschool sports day every year, that is 5 different sports in one day, with about 4 teams in every sport. I started 8am and finished 6pm, and only had time for one hotdog and a bottle of water in between, and I couldn't even get to everything. I did it as I have quite a few family members in the different teams, who asked me... and in the end word spread that I'll be around, and the teachers(trainers) asked for pics of their teams, and as I know they can't afford pro's, I just couldn't say no. Did I regret it?... on the one hand no, I gave something back to the community, but on the other hand, carrying around al that equipment and batteries the whole day, was pure hell, it made me appreciate what the pro's do...it's bloody hard work
11-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Don't get me wrong. I already have the AA adapter for the K-30. Because the Li-109's just run out too quickly, even with a backup. But the K-01 batteries last forever. I have two of them, and while they last forever, I do admit I've never done 5000 photos in a day. That seems... ridiculous, honestly. Even for a shotgun approach, that's a bit much. But then, I'm not a pro. This is just a hobby for me.

Charles.
Don't forget - the K-01 was designed to use live view ALL the time, as its mirrorless and doesn't have a traditional viewfinder.
Just to have the camera on you're going to eat batteries. I agree that a nice large +2000mAh battery for the K-30 would be nice. I picked up some cheap (Amazon) 1600mAh Li-109s for $15 in addition to the original + the AA adapter. Keep the screen/flash off, and your battery will thank you.