Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

AA adapter a worthwhile investment?

So after having my battery wipeout after only a few shots... i figured i should buy some backups. ive read a couple of posts that say the AA adapter with NihM batteries last a bit longer. Anyone running this setup?

Last edited by OldNoob; 10-17-2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: spelling errors
10-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
So after having my battery wipeout after only a few shots... i figured i should buy some backups. ive read a couple of posts that say the AA adapter with NihM batteries last a bit longer. Anyone running this setup?
According to the official specs, it doesn't last quite as long due to the lower voltage. It might be a different story with Lithium batteries.

In any case, having the adapter definitely won't hurt, as you'd never be stuck without power.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #3

I have one loaded with Energizer Lithiums...they last forever.

If you already have a good set (and there's a whole other conversation devoted to that topic) and a charger, then by all means use those instead of a set of disposable lithium AAs. However... the cost of a good set of NiMH AAs and a good charger may end up costing you more than another battery pack....
10-17-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I found with the k-r that the Eneloop AAs lasted at least as long as the standard battery. I haven't seen prices lately to know the better value, but the results were close a few years back.

10-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I found with the k-r that the Eneloop AAs lasted at least as long as the standard battery. I haven't seen prices lately to know the better value, but the results were close a few years back.
I've used eneloops in a bunch of other things than cameras and they are very good indeed.

For my K-5 IIs I just carry a few spare D-LI90's in my pocket. They last so long.

Or....http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-2-Pack-Charger/dp/B004UR7250/ref=...=wasabi+D-li90
10-17-2013, 09:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
For my K-5 IIs I just carry a few spare D-LI90's in my pocket. They last so long.
Are you being Sarcastic? I charged my factory battery up and got off like 10 flash shots and 20 non-flash , and Poof it was dead.
10-17-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-30 with the OEM battery, a knockoff battery, and an adapter with eneloops. I can't tell the knockoff from the OEM, but surprisingly, the eneloops last much longer. I had read other posts stating this but was skeptical, but the eneloops convinced me.

10-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Must be something wrong with your battery then. I use the same on my K30 and have many shots with each one, including flash shots.. Are you sure you're making sure the camera is turned off at the end of a shoot?
10-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Are you being Sarcastic? I charged my factory battery up and got off like 10 flash shots and 20 non-flash , and Poof it was dead.
That aint right, something is wrong with either your battery or your charger.
10-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #10

My battery which came with a camera last almost twice longer compared to adapter with Eneloops. Realistically standard battery is enough for some 200 shots. To be honest, Eneloops are already few years old and was used a lot.
10-18-2013, 05:05 AM   #11

@OldNoob,
since you discovered that your camera isn't new, maybe you have faulty battery, camera, charger or
a combination of the 3 elements
10-18-2013, 05:08 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by CP140 Quote
I have one loaded with Energizer Lithiums...they last forever.

If you already have a good set (and there's a whole other conversation devoted to that topic) and a charger, then by all means use those instead of a set of disposable lithium AAs. However... the cost of a good set of NiMH AAs and a good charger may end up costing you more than another battery pack....
+1 on the Energizer Lithiums. Use them regularly and keep the OEM battery as backup.

Regards
10-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have a K-30 with the OEM battery, a knockoff battery, and an adapter with eneloops. I can't tell the knockoff from the OEM, but surprisingly, the eneloops last much longer. I had read other posts stating this but was skeptical, but the eneloops convinced me.
Same here -- Eneloops last longer for me than the standard Li-ion battery. However, they are a little bit heavier.
10-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pvanni Quote
@OldNoob,
since you discovered that your camera isn't new, maybe you have faulty battery, camera, charger or
a combination of the 3 elements
Very possibe. i just charged the battery again, took 96 photos and it is already halfway depleted .
10-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I think the AA adapter is a good idea. My AA rechargeables are fairly old, and still last at least as long or longer than the factory one and a 3rd party spare. One set is starting to disappoint me, but it's at least 5 years old. I can't complain, 10 bucks at that time, still working but a little weak, I think I got my 10 bucks worth...

As far as the Li-ion that came with the K30...crap...they should go back to straight AA power and forget those. With good AA batteries, (Duracell rechargeable), I get at least twice as many shots compared to the factory Li-ion or off brand spare. Now since theyr'e getting weak, they still last easily as long, maybe a bit longer. So as far as I'm concerned, the AA adapter is worth it.