Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Frustrating k-30 buying experiance.

Checking out my "NEW" camera that i bought from "Beach Camera" Turns out it has a shutter count of 2500 and the copyright info is setup in someone elses name. Kinda pissed at Beach Camera for advertising it as "New"

Last edited by OldNoob; 10-21-2013 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Title too negative.
10-18-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happens sometimes, if the earlier customer returns it claiming it wasn't used. I would return it if I were you and ask for a new one (if they still have any) or a refund.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-18-2013, 03:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
Checking out my "NEW" camera that i bought from "Beach Camera" Turns out it has a shutter count of 2500 and the copyright info is setup in someone elses name. Kinda pissed at Beach Camera for advertising it as "New"
Had this kind of experience with them, too--a lens, in my case. Sometimes they run very good deals; I don't trust them.
10-18-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow, that'd be the last time I bought from them. Try the return or at least a partial refund

10-18-2013, 08:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They said "They never open boxes" i was like maybe you should!
Anyway i could return it , but i would have to wait a couple weeks for it to be credited to my card before i could order another one. (plus i would have to pay for shipping to return it)
OR If i wanted to keep it. they offered me a free extended 5 year warranty through MACK camera repair.
That's pretty good i guess. IDK still have a few days to decide.
In the meantime watch out for cameras sold by them.
They told me they get their camera's straight from Pentax., however ii think Pentax would know how to reset the stutter count and user info befor shipping it out, don't you?

Coupled with the Bad battery, i think Admin Adam is correct. i should send it back. Though it is discouraging that my first Pentax experience be like this.

Last edited by OldNoob; 10-18-2013 at 11:36 AM.
10-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #6

Anyway i could return it , but i would have to wait a couple weeks for it to be credited to my card before i could order another one. (plus i would have to pay for shipping to return it)
OR If i wanted to keep it. they offered me a free extended 5 year warranty through MACK camera repair.
They told me they get their camera's straight from Pentax., however ii think Pentax would know how to reset the stutter count and user info befor shipping it out, don't you?

Coupled with the Bad battery, i think Admin Adam is correct. i should send it back. Though it is discouraging that my first Pentax experience be like this.
I guess I had luck with buydig(aka beach camera, don't know why they have two websites for one company.
The k30 I received was brand new with only 1 shutter count on it, no visual wearing that I found.
However the Lexar SD card I got from buydig was busted but their customers' service was very helpful. >.<

I think it's very common to pay for the return shipping(other than Amazon, etc). But I don't want to pay for the 8.75% tax to amazon! >.<
10-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've bought a couple bodies and a lens from Beach without a problems.

Customers returning used items as new is not a new development. Not all those instances are discovered. They should pick up the shipping, though.

10-18-2013, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Geez! You've every right to be annoyed.

Watch out though, because nobody knows what that previous owner did with it. Did they take care of it? Or did they drop it and return it so they wouldn't have to pay for repairs? If something like that did happen, it'd be a damn fine warranty if it covers that sort of thing should a problem develop during your possession.

Would this warranty cover the previous owner's indiscretions should they exist? Best sort it out before you start using it and you inherit the indiscretions, should they exist.

And for selling you a used product under false pretences, they should cover the shipping costs. Their mistake, their onus. In this situation you're the only one watching out for yourself, nobody else... except maybe PentaxForums

EDIT: Don't be discouraged by this. It has nothing to do with Pentax and everything to do with the supplier.
10-18-2013, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feel bad for you... I have accepted the fact that this will/may happen when you purchase online in North America even if it comes from B&M stores. It is common that people return goods for no reason without penalty. When I purchased my k-5 2 year ago, to ensure that I got a new one, I specifically asked the person (via email) that I would be getting a brand new one, not one that somebody just returned. Sure enough, I got one from the brand new stock, and then I send email to thank the person who handles my sale/purchase order.

In other parts of the world, example, in Asia.... you pay a small penalty if you return the item just because "buyer's remorse" unless the item is defective. I think it is fair... and the store will not be able to sell the item as brand-new.
10-18-2013, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Gallery
Only 2 places I trust for mail order from internet , B and H and Adorama ! Always helpful.
10-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
Only 2 places I trust for mail order from internet , B and H and Adorama ! Always helpful.
I agree totally. and as far as used equipment KEH has also never let me down.
10-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an update:
So after seeing the user copywrite info in the camera i did some googling on the name. and found a blog of a person who had the same name. So i sent him a brief message explaining my experience with Beachcamera and asked him if he ever owned a Pentax k-30. I did not expect a reply. Low and Behold, my mouth dropped clean open when i got the following email reply.

"" I received your comment on my blog this morning. All I can say is, wow! You are absolutely correct. We did indeed purchase a K-30 in 2012 and then returned it. I'm trying to remember the exact reason. I *think* it was because there were some minor quirks to the camera that Pentax technical support claimed was a defect in that particular copy, but which I later discovered was endemic to all K-30s. Yes, I remember now. One issue was that the camera would occasionally lock up while in use. The second was that, when in video mode, unless you have the aperture set to something like f4, there's an unnecessary shutter release or mirror flip. There may have been a third issue but I can't remember.
For what it's worth, we ended up re-purchasing another K-30 some months later because I just liked the camera in spite of those issues, and the price had dropped. The new copy showed the same problems, but with the latest firmware update, the locking issue has become rare/non-existent. So as for the K-30, I would still give it very high marks.

I would, however, be upset that you were sold a new camera which is 100% definitely used. I can't remember how many photos I took on it for the few weeks I had it, but it was a substantial amount. I did not purchase the camera from BeachCamera but from another retailer, so I'm sure BeachCamera knew it was used when they obtained it secondhand. What they did to you was reprehensible and I sincerely hope you receive some sort of remediation from them. As for my part, although I've often seen their deals online, I've never purchased from them before, and now I never will after hearing how they've attempted to deceive you.

Best wishes, and good luck if you decide to go after BeachCamera."" Kudos to this fellow photographer and his caring reply.
10-20-2013, 07:48 PM - 1 Like   #13

Just an update:
So after seeing the user copywrite info in the camera i did some googling on the name. and found a blog of a person who had the same name. So i sent him a brief message explaining my experience with Beachcamera and asked him if he ever owned a Pentax k-30. I did not expect a reply. Low and Behold, my mouth dropped clean open when i got the following email reply.

"" I received your comment on my blog this morning. All I can say is, wow! You are absolutely correct. We did indeed purchase a K-30 in 2012 and then returned it. I'm trying to remember the exact reason. I *think* it was because there were some minor quirks to the camera that Pentax technical support claimed was a defect in that particular copy, but which I later discovered was endemic to all K-30s. Yes, I remember now. One issue was that the camera would occasionally lock up while in use. The second was that, when in video mode, unless you have the aperture set to something like f4, there's an unnecessary shutter release or mirror flip. There may have been a third issue but I can't remember.
For what it's worth, we ended up re-purchasing another K-30 some months later because I just liked the camera in spite of those issues, and the price had dropped. The new copy showed the same problems, but with the latest firmware update, the locking issue has become rare/non-existent. So as for the K-30, I would still give it very high marks.

I would, however, be upset that you were sold a new camera which is 100% definitely used. I can't remember how many photos I took on it for the few weeks I had it, but it was a substantial amount. I did not purchase the camera from BeachCamera but from another retailer, so I'm sure BeachCamera knew it was used when they obtained it secondhand. What they did to you was reprehensible and I sincerely hope you receive some sort of remediation from them. As for my part, although I've often seen their deals online, I've never purchased from them before, and now I never will after hearing how they've attempted to deceive you.

Best wishes, and good luck if you decide to go after BeachCamera."" Kudos to this fellow photographer and his caring reply.
Respect to this man...Sigh, before buying Pentax K30, I don't get why people don't buy Pentax and why Pentax isn't as popular as Canon and Nikon. Now it all makes sense. A lot of minor issues....T_T
10-21-2013, 04:36 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well i found this from Crutchfield Pentax K-30 with 3X WR Zoom Lens (Black) Rugged 16-megapixel digital SLR with weather-resistant 18-55mm kit lens at Crutchfield.com
I've always had pretty Good customer service from crutchfield so though i would try them for my camera.
i called about the K-30 kit. They said, yes the items were indeed New, though they may be considered "Old Stock" sence they were not being produced anymore, but they were definitely unused.(here's hoping)
Another nice thing is they let me put it on my Sony Electronics credit card with 12 months no interest!! So i didn't have to wait for the Beachcamera refund to go through before i could buy another one.
Also Crutchfield provided a 60 day return period ! and lifetime tech support on the item.
And this kit actually comes with the WR lens, whereas the beachcamera kit lens was not weather sealed.
So i hope this goes well.
10-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
WOW!, got the crutchfield k-30 today and it is indeed brand NEW! YEY! Also the WR 18-55mm seems much sharper than the other kit lens! Much less front focusing than the camera i got from Beachcamera.
And it came with a factory lens hood!

Last edited by OldNoob; 10-23-2013 at 12:19 PM.