Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

Several Questions>.<!

1. I am afraid to get robbed >.< But after watching a YouTube video from DigitalRev TV. Now I am afraid to accidentally damage my camera as well.
and Since I go to China once every year. I feel like I need an ultimate insurance that covers robbery, accidental damage & travel oversea. So far I found Worth Ave Group | Property & Losses Covered, who offers $72 annual fee for $2000 value worth of stuff worldwide. (Since I'm a college student, I think is so perfect for me.)

Any other recommendations?

2. I just bought a battery adapter. After some research, I found out that most of the rechargeable AA batteries provides 1.2v, which adds up to 1.2*4=4.8v, which is 7.2v-4.8v=2.4v lower compare to the original li battery. So should I carry the battery adapter with non-rechargeable batteries for absolute emergency, and buy 1 or 2 lithium-ion battery D-Li109?(Stock or genius brand?)

3. I noticed that if I turn on the live view during shooting, and stick my ear to the camera, I can hear little noises inside (like some sort of signal interfering noise). I tried Manual focus/auto focus, on/off with shack reduction, electronic level and horizon Correction, still has the noise. Is it normal?

4. Any recommendation on cleaning kit? will this work well?

Thank you for taking time reading this!

10-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1) No idea on insurances

2) Best batteries for use with Pentax has been found to be the Eneloop ones from Sanyo. Many threads on this and they work well. The voltage is not critical, the camera can adjust within a range. Being able to deliver the amount of power required seems to be the big factor. Something called 'discharge rate', some batteries cannot keep up with the camera. Eneloops can. That said, if the adapter is just for emergencies, then a set of Lithium AA's will work, they weigh next to nothing and are always there with no need to carry an extra charger.

3) A small noise is normal, I believe this is because the sensor is held by a mechanism used for SR. It is always live even if SR is off. Someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

4) That seems adequate. Keep your lens cap on when not in use. If you don't change lenses often you likely will not get much dust. You should have dust removal to 'on at startup' to clean the sensor every time the camera starts. The next most used tool would be the rocket blower. And it will clear away any dust on the sensor the dust removal system misses. Always use it first before cleaning the lens to clear any grit. Most lens scratches are actually caused by people cleaning the lens when there is sand or grit on it.
10-20-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
1) No idea on insurances

2) Best batteries for use with Pentax has been found to be the Eneloop ones from Sanyo. Many threads on this and they work well. The voltage is not critical, the camera can adjust within a range. Being able to deliver the amount of power required seems to be the big factor. Something called 'discharge rate', some batteries cannot keep up with the camera. Eneloops can. That said, if the adapter is just for emergencies, then a set of Lithium AA's will work, they weigh next to nothing and are always there with no need to carry an extra charger.

3) A small noise is normal, I believe this is because the sensor is held by a mechanism used for SR. It is always live even if SR is off. Someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

4) That seems adequate. Keep your lens cap on when not in use. If you don't change lenses often you likely will not get much dust. You should have dust removal to 'on at startup' to clean the sensor every time the camera starts. The next most used tool would be the rocket blower. And it will clear away any dust on the sensor the dust removal system misses. Always use it first before cleaning the lens to clear any grit. Most lens scratches are actually caused by people cleaning the lens when there is sand or grit on it.
Thank you for the reply. It's very detailed !
10-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I am going to disagree on #2. Your idea of carrying the AA adapter for emergencies but relying on a couple of spare Li batteries for most purposes is, in my opinion, the best way to go. There are several third party battery + charger combos that give excellent results. Ex. Amazon.com: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Pentax D-LI109 and Pentax K-r, K-30, K-50: Electronics .

As for lens cleaning, nothing beats a rocket blower plus a Lens Pen and a soft cloth.