Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camerons Quote
It could definitely be faster if you've switched cables to a better shielded and/or shorter cable
Assuming the cable is less than 25 feet long and isn't wrapped around an AC power supply, I wouldn't worry about it. If it has been crimped or one of the connectors on the end has been damaged, you could have intermittent transmission of data, which means the computer will request the same data to be sent as many times as necessary to get it right. The cable that comes with the K-30 has an inductive coil built into it, to eliminate voltage pulses.

10-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

This is going to sound silly,, but i have personally experienced, that on some PCs the back USB ports have a little more voltage than the front. Ive had certain USB drives work though the back connections and not on the front usb connections on a couple of computers.
10-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldNoob Quote
This is going to sound silly
Not so silly, it's a well known problem that the front panel USB header (9 pin connector) on many motherboards can't supply the 500mA DC current that is in the USB 2.0 spec. But the K-30 doesn't draw power through the USB cable. If (and this is a big if) the OP doesn't have issues with larger file sizes than what he is used to, or his computer not recognizing the camera and the SD card as a mass storage device, or the software on his computer, then he should definitely try plugging the cable into a different port. It is the easiest fix to attempt, even if it isn't the most likely cause.
10-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I also find the K-30 very slow to transfer over USB, in fact I hardly ever do because of that. I've tried on different computers and even my smartphone and it is the same regardless. If I plug an SD card reader into the exact same USB port and then put the SD card in it the same photos transfer in the blink of an eye. I also have a K-r and while it is not lightning fast it does still transfer much faster than the K-30, even if I put the card with photos from the K-30 in the K-r.

I had assumed this was a problem with all K-30 but seeing that there are people who don't have this issue I'm guessing something must be faulty in my K-30's USB port.

10-25-2013, 01:51 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I also think it is more a bug of K30, has moved several USB cables, changed ports, and is the same slowness.

The Kx and KR is faster, hopefully the next firmware solves this.
10-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
something must be faulty in my K-30's USB port
The mini-USB port on your camera will either work or not, and if two K-30's are running the same firmware version, their processors are capable of sending data down the wire at the same rate. Transferring data via USB is a two way process, where one computer notifies the other that it is ready and provides an ID and then the second computer requests more information. If you aren't happy with the transfer rate of your camera, try using a card reader; typically the drivers for card readers are faster than for digital cameras. The same thing would happen if you try to transfer data from a flash memory card on your smartphone to your computer using a cable or if you take the memory card out of your phone.

The biggest problem with transferring via USB is that your computer doesn't recognize the other device. If you plug and unplug different devices into the same USB port, your computer can't simply use the same driver as it did for the last transfer, and it has to search for the right driver. The spec for USB 2.0 data transfer is 480 million bits per second, much faster than 100Mbs Ethernet cable. The reason USB transfers aren't anywhere near that fast in real life is because of software. Ethernet is a standardized way to send data without any distinction as to the device sending the data, whereas USB requires the sender to identify itself, so the receiver can apply the correct software to read the signal.

So please don't assume you have a faulty camera if you aren't happy with the speed at which it downloads pictures. The fastest method is using a card reader to do a simple file copy to your computer's hard drive, even the Pictures and Videos Import Wizard in Windows is slower. A program that does processing of data to create individual thumbnails before closing the connection to your camera, like Lightroom does, is much slower yet. If your computer has problems reading your memory card because of file system formatting problems (not being formatted, or the data stored on the card to format it doesn't line up with the computer's software to read it) it will take longer to download. If there is an interruption in the signal (because of problems with the cable or connectors) it will take longer, because the computer will repeatedly request the same data until it gets it completely without errors. Finally, if there is a newer firmware for your camera, by all means install it, although when I updated my K-30 from 1.04 to 1.05 it didn't affect downloading of pictures to my computer for either good or bad. Beyond that, I recommend taking a big hammer and smashing your camera.
10-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You might try a different hub. One USB port on my computer tells me "your device will operate faster if you use a USB 2.0" port. They are all the same as far as I can tell, so I think it is a computer issue...
We may have the advice of the day here! You may want to RTFM your computer manual.

I have a fairly new Asus board with USB 3.0 but not all of my ports are 3.0 some are still 2.0. Mine are color coded, the bule tongue is 3.0 and the white or black ones are 2.0.

10-26-2013, 02:44 AM   #23

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, I see that some pseudo-understood insist on taking the case to the slow USB ports, is wrong, the slowness is the K30 which is slow in data transfer. (end point)

We must assume that it is bug, and I have not bought a machine to spend my life removing the card every time you have to copy photos to the PC.

How to know whether or not that is the USB ports, I worked 30 plus years in informatics, started the system IBM400 then learned RGB, Pascal, Quick Basic, I was part of the hardware team in the maintenance of servers, etc, etc..

This is to say that I now have 61 years and know well the guts of the PC. I have 3 PCs, one of which is my gamer is with (Asus Rampage Formula, E8600 with OC, OC with ATI 7970) ...

Some have USB 2 and USB 3 laptops have (win 7), none of the K30 is normal, is slow. (end point).

We will not cover the SOL with a sieve ...
10-26-2013, 05:46 AM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by blinkPT Quote
Well, I see that some pseudo-understood insist on taking the case to the slow USB ports, is wrong, the slowness is the K30 which is slow in data transfer. (end point)

We must assume that it is bug, and I have not bought a machine to spend my life removing the card every time you have to copy photos to the PC.

How to know whether or not that is the USB ports, I worked 30 plus years in informatics, started the system IBM400 then learned RGB, Pascal, Quick Basic, I was part of the hardware team in the maintenance of servers, etc, etc..

This is to say that I now have 61 years and know well the guts of the PC. I have 3 PCs, one of which is my gamer is with (Asus Rampage Formula, E8600 with OC, OC with ATI 7970) ...

Some have USB 2 and USB 3 laptops have (win 7), none of the K30 is normal, is slow. (end point).

We will not cover the SOL with a sieve ...
Transfer speeds can be effected by any number of factors aside from the USB port. Computer memory, processor, bus speed, hard drive speed, background programs / processes, SD card read speed, etc., all effect transfer speeds. Of course, since you are a computer wiz, you already know that!

Since you're sure the problem lies with the camera, I suggest you return it and try something from a different manufacturer.

FWIW, I've transferred a few hundred photos at a time and never experienced times as long as yours. I haven't actually made any direct comparisons, but I don't think my K30 transfers any slower than any other camera I own, and may possibly be faster.
10-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blinkPT Quote
none of the K30 is normal, is slow. (end point)
Can I interest you in a ball peen hammer?