Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
The K30 takes 4-5 minutes to transfer 50 pictures to my PC! Is it normal?

I've had the Pentax Kx and Kr, they were very quick in jps transfer to PC via USB cable.

Is it my K30 that has a problem? Or this is normal slowdowns.

10-22-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are using the same cable and plug, there shouldnt be a big difference.
Of course, K-30 has a 16MP sensor, so the images can be much bigger than the K-r's.. You might want to look into buying a card reader, that seems to be the fastest solution, especially if your computer (and the reader) supports usb 3.0.
10-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #3

well there's the possible issue with the program that communicates with the computer, the issue with multiple usb devices (not too sure it's like with IPs addys but from what my IT guy in the office tells me it's similar), then there's simply put your drivers with in the cam for the output. pretty sure there are more trouble spots, can't think of anything else.

personally
haven't tried going through the cable for the cam, always via card reader. I've noticed that most devices, anything from phones to cameras, to survey equipment, to video cams have, at one point, an issue with the "gods of usb". Take my little world of messed up cables. About 8 devices on the same machine. Now "normally" everything goes as it should, they all hook up sequentially and those on cable via usb can download their info. from time to time, and i don't know why, usb root goes mad and everything breaks down.

what size files are we talking about here? 400 pics after a days shooting can be quite the load especially if u're in raw format XD

K.
10-22-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blinkPT Quote
I've had the Pentax Kx and Kr, they were very quick in jps transfer to PC via USB cable.

Is it my K30 that has a problem? Or this is normal slowdowns.
Try to take the SD card out and insert directly to the PC's USB port to see if it makes any difference. I have never use a USB cable that comes with the camera.

10-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
insert directly to the PC's USB por
Just to be clear, put the SD card in a card reader first, the actual card won't fit in the USB port :-) And if 4-5 minutes includes the time for your computer to recognize that the camera is connected to it, isn't that unreasonable to download 50 RAW or RAW+ images with a USB 2.0 cable. Deleting the images from the SD card after downloading also takes a little time. For me, it's a chance to go the bathroom, refill my coffee cup, etc.
10-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

haven't installed anything like Norton by chance?? Nortons active scan can slow things down quite a bit.
10-23-2013, 02:40 AM   #7

Original Poster
I have antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials, nothing more.

Do not use any program to the transfer, is the copy of the DCIM camera to the PC.

I do not like taking the card often, there are some faults in the K30 card cover.

I think it is the K30 which is slow to transfer.

10-23-2013, 03:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Download FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ..., it's free, and use that to import the file, should be much faster
10-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #9

I have antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials, nothing more.

Do not use any program to the transfer, is the copy of the DCIM camera to the PC.

I do not like taking the card often, there are some faults in the K30 card cover.

I think it is the K30 which is slow to transfer.
What fault? I take my card out every time I transfer my photos to the computer. I'd guess it's been removed 200 to 300 times with no problems noted.

I've never experienced a 4 to 5 minute wait to transfer either .jpg .dng files, I routinely transfer up to 125 files of mixed types.

I run Norton and have not experienced any noticeable transfer problems.

In the past I've had computers where for no reason I would experience USB problems but only in one or 2 ports. Move the cable to another port and that took care of the problem. Eventually I purchased a powered USB hub and no longer had that problem. All USB ports are not equal although that's the theory.

Over the past 3 weeks I've experienced 4 cable failures. One even sparking the others becoming warm to the touch in different Computers. It's the first time I've ever experienced these types of failures. Have you used more than one cable?
10-23-2013, 09:37 AM   #10

Original Poster
I changed the USB input and USB cable, got faster, but it is faster if I take the card ...
10-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I changed the USB input and USB cable, got faster, but it is faster if I take the card ...
It will not be any faster unless your port and card reader are usb3
10-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

You might try a different hub. One USB port on my computer tells me "your device will operate faster if you use a USB 2.0" port. They are all the same as far as I can tell, so I think it is a computer issue...
10-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

So.. to remove the SD card gently slide the card door, then push on the card itself until it clicks, let go, and it should jump right out. The door can be gently manipulated back to the closed position.

With USB, the thing is that your computer might have different types of USB drives. USB (1), USB 2.0, and now USB 3.0. 2.0 is standard, but older computers might have some of the older ports as well. USB 3.0 is the latest and fastest, but only new computers have them. A computer can have both 1 and 2.0 drives, so plugging it in the right drive can make the process faster or slower.
The other limiting factor is the card itself - class 4 cards will be slower than class 10 cards. And another limiting factor can be the software and drivers and antivirus.
10-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It will not be any faster unless your port and card reader are usb3
It could definitely be faster if you've switched cables to a better shielded and/or shorter cable. You'll get less data loss through errors on such a cable.
10-23-2013, 08:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
I would experience USB problems but only in one or 2 ports
IF there is a problem it is with your SD card or your computer. Has your card been formatted, and if yes, by your computer or by your camera? Windows will usually read unformatted cards, but it takes extra time, and XP was/is problematic reading unformatted cards with more than 4GB storage. The next thing to check is whether your computer is trying to recognize your computer when you connect it. If you get messages that your computer is trying to find the driver for your device or something similar, then it is most likely a problem with your computer (or possibly a bad cable or bad connection). Finally, are you saving pictures as JPEG, RAW, or RAW+ (RAW and JPEG)? Raw files are much larger than JPEGs, the K-30 has a bigger sensor than the K-r, Microsoft Essentials also includes Windows Defender, which sometimes scans downloaded files, and if the stars don't align, it may take a few minutes to transfer 750 MB of data through your USB port.