Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2013, 12:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-5 IIs or Pentax K-50

Hi,

In my country, the K-50 is available for USD 750 and the K-5 IIs for USD 1350.

Is K-5 IIs worth the extra USD 600?

These are the comparison points:

- Focussing speed
- Low light focussing accuracy and speed
- Buffer writes speeds
- Start-up times
- Usefulness of top LCD
- Usefulness of dedicated buttons
- Image quality differences (both use the same sensor or very similar ones)

Thanks,
Anirban

10-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, I'll base my suggestions on the criteria you gave:

- Focussing speed : 50/50, specially with screwdrive and in good light.
- Low light focussing accuracy and speed: K-5 IIs wins, with better low-light AF ability.
- Buffer writes speeds: K-5 IIs has bigger buffer and clears faster.
- Start-up times - Same...
- Usefulness of top LCD: Mostly useful when shooting in the dark and you set the LCD off because it can hurt your eyes; also, useful when shooting on a tripod at a low height
- Usefulness of dedicated buttons: ++ for K-5 IIs. Dedicated RAW button, AF button, metering switch are handy when changing settings quickly
- Image quality differences (both use the same sensor or very similar ones): + for K-5 IIs for having 14-bit RAW. More DR range can mean more recoverable info

hope that helped
10-25-2013, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #3
wax
Forum Member

I have the same doubt on K-5II vs K-50
Im not worry about not having 14bit of DR or big buffer, but the advantage K-50(30) Focus peaking ability, for legacy lenses usability, have me on hesitation. I lost to much not geting K-5(something) intead of K-50(30)?
10-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Top LCD, bigger battery, stronger body, grip option, more direct access buttons are the points Id take into account for the K-5II. How important are these for the kind of photos you take now?

10-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
I used to think I could live without top LCD -- just realized how much I need it. When looking through the VF, I never look at the shutter/aperture values -- in an unconscious way, they distract me from the scene (I shoot streets, mostly).
10-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Forum Member

How long is the shutter expected to work in the k-50 vs k-5II ?
10-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anirbax Quote
I used to think I could live without top LCD -- just realized how much I need it. When looking through the VF, I never look at the shutter/aperture values -- in an unconscious way, they distract me from the scene (I shoot streets, mostly).
I understand, I try to decide on settings before I take the camera to my eye so the upper LCD is invaluable to me... I guess you are set then...
11-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Price now between K-5ii and K-50 is very close.

11-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kivis Quote
Price now between K-5ii and K-50 is very close.
Unfortunately, in India now, the price difference is close to USD 600 :-(
11-13-2013, 05:36 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wax Quote
I have the same doubt on K-5II vs K-50
Im not worry about not having 14bit of DR or big buffer, but the advantage K-50(30) Focus peaking ability, for legacy lenses usability, have me on hesitation. I lost to much not geting K-5(something) intead of K-50(30)?
If usability of legacy lenses is important to you, then K30/K50 have an issue in that they do not offer depth-of-field preview as a position on the on/off switch. On my K200D, I would use the depth of field preview for metering a scene when using a legacy lens. Green button just sets exposure, it doesn't let you meter different parts of a scene.

While you can program the RAW/Fx button on the K30 to give you depth-of-field preview, for some stupid reason the meter in the viewfinder is NOT active when you use it. So your only option is using the green button to set exposure - no active metering with a legacy lens. I assume it's the same in the K50.

Aside from its tendency to overexpose, this is the only beef I have so far with the K30.
11-19-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I have a K-5, because my wife insisted I buy the most expensive because she knew I would always doubt my choice otherwise. (Yes, she spoils me) Recently I bought her a K-30, because it is nice and blue, and because it was great value at about 400 dollars equivalent. I really love the K-5, but I think as value for money the K-30/50 in a bundle with the right lenses is much better value.

You live in India, and I assume that the local conditions are the same as where I live (I live in China) I expect it is rather dusty, so you don't want to be changing lenses much, and WR would be very useful. So I would get a K30/50 with an 18-135 WR, and a 55-300WR as soon as it becomes available. A very wide range of focal lengths, and no need to change lenses very often.
11-19-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
Aside from its tendency to overexpose, this is the only beef I have so far with the K30.
Is this a common issue with the K-30?
Pentax cameras as a rule are thought to underexpose more commonly.
If this is not a common issue with K-30, then try different metering options, or check if the lens you are using perhaps has sticky blades?
11-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Veteran Member

if i could do it over again... i would chose the k-5II over the k-50, simply because the k-5 is a more solid camera and will most likly have Offical Ricoh support longer than the K-50. Also i like the looks of the k-5II better. there are a lot of programmed shooting modes in the k-50 like my k-30 , that i just don't use. and if you find a k-5IIs new,, and its close to the same price,, then there would be no contest. the k-5IIs would win my vote. and of course there is the whole Vertical grip issue, which to some would be a deciding feature.

Several people have reported a bad "apature drive motor" causing both underexposure and over exposure issues in the k-30. if Ricoh used the same system for the k-50 then that is something to keep an eye on.

Last edited by OldNoob; 11-19-2013 at 07:27 PM.
12-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Is this a common issue with the K-30?
Pentax cameras as a rule are thought to underexpose more commonly.
If this is not a common issue with K-30, then try different metering options, or check if the lens you are using perhaps has sticky blades?
It seems to only affect macro photos taken in bright sunlight. As I've mentioned in another thread, I think I'm mostly doing things as I did with my K200D. If, as you say, underexposure is more common, it could be that the K200D was erring in the side of caution, and it wouldn't have a problem with harsh lighting. If the K-30 is slightly less conservative, it may be that it's overexposing and blowing out highlights in situations where the K200D wouldn't. The lens in question is a DFA 100WR macro. I need to play around with it more next season to see if I can set it up so that it doesn't do this.