Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2013, 09:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Looking at your photos, you say the center is option 1 (On), and the left and right are option 2 (off). Well, then I think you have your description backwards, and are in fact showing the actual problem I'm talking about.

I'm assuming you just had the camera on auto mode.

Look at the flash shadow. It's much stronger in the left and right shots, but much dimmer in the center shot. To me, that shows that more flash power is being used to illuminate the scene when the flash is set to option 2 (off). So if anything, the settings appear to be reversed.

Also yes, my slave is set up properly each time.

Charles.
Charles, I believe lister6520 is correct. If there are strong side shadows, it indicates the primary lighting is coming from the side (remote) flash. This is exactly how it's supposed to work under Option 2.

10-27-2013, 09:53 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Looking at your photos, you say the center is option 1 (On), and the left and right are option 2 (off). Well, then I think you have your description backwards, and are in fact showing the actual problem I'm talking about.

I'm assuming you just had the camera on auto mode.

Look at the flash shadow. It's much stronger in the left and right shots, but much dimmer in the center shot. To me, that shows that more flash power is being used to illuminate the scene when the flash is set to option 2 (off). So if anything, the settings appear to be reversed.

Also yes, my slave is set up properly each time.

Charles.
That is not the flash shadow but the flash itself. In the centre photo the back of the Metz flash is illuminated by the in-camera flash. In the other two it appears dark because it is not receiving any light (or very little) from the in-camera flash.

To see the illumination from the in camera flash you need to look at the bottom right corner of each image. In the centre image it is so bright it is blown out. In the left image it is softly illuminated and in the right image it is dark.

Iin other words the black patch you see at the bottom roght of the right phot is not a shadow but is the nearby object which is receiving no light at all.
10-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I've added some captions to the photos in the hope of making it more clear what I mean.
10-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ah, okay it wasn't clear. I thought you were attempting to recreate my tests -- where the flash was removed from the camera (after being paired correctly as a slave) and hidden away (or turned off) so that it can no longer flash and influence the lighting of the scene.

Charles.

10-27-2013, 03:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Ah, okay it wasn't clear. I thought you were attempting to recreate my tests -- where the flash was removed from the camera (after being paired correctly as a slave) and hidden away (or turned off) so that it can no longer flash and influence the lighting of the scene.

Charles.
The way you did it might have added another complication. Since you hid away the external flash the camera will not receive the preflash burst from it so it will 'know' that it did not fire. I'm not sure what the camera will do in that case, but if I was the one doing the programming I would make it such that the on board flash would either fire in an attempt to make up for it or else repeat the preflash instruction and the subsequent trigger at higher power. Now that is just a conjecture though - I have not tried it out.
10-28-2013, 04:25 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I've already updated the firmware to 1.05, hoping these two issues would be fixed, but so far no dice.

First, is that the viewfinder display keeps turning off. I have the camera set to turn off in 3 minutes, but the viewfinder display goes off in about 6 seconds. The rear display in about 15 seconds. Is there any way to increase the timeout for these? I've searched through the menu options, but I can't find anything. Especially the viewfinder display. It's absolutely maddening when it turns off while I'm in the middle of composing a shot, and trying to get the horizon just right.

Second, the wireless flash doesn't work as the manual implies. I'm using a Sigma EF610DGwhatever as a wireless PTTL slave. I have the "Flash in Wireless Mode" set to OFF (2), which is supposed to make the built-in flash a controller ONLY. However, the built-in flash fires. It didn't do that with my K-x. I'm trying to go for a low-key shot with side lighting, using my sigma flash in wireless mode. Worked fine with the K-x, but the K-30 always fires the built-in flash, which means the scene is always exposed from the built-in flash. What gives with this? It's completely ignoring the setting.

Any ideas to fix this?

Charles.
I have the metz 48 and k30 and have been experimenting all night with the slave mode and works perfectly. TTLis slig1htly under exposed but is easily corrected through the camera
10-29-2013, 03:12 AM   #22

According to this list the K30 is not supported or at least not on the list EF-610 DG ST Flash | Sigma

Contact Sigma to be sure. I do know that it took a firmware update from Metz for my AF48 to work properly on the K 30.