Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Hot pixel on K-30 LCD screen.

Today I found out there is a very very tiny white/hot pixel on my one year old K-30 LCD screen.
Anyone else have this same problem?
Is this a common problem with Pentax cameras? Should I send to back to Pentax for repairing? I am not even sure if mine still within the warranty period of not.

11-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by misbehave Quote
Today I found out there is a very very tiny white/hot pixel on my one year old K-30 LCD screen.
Is this a common problem with Pentax cameras? Should I send to back to Pentax for repairing? I am not even sure if mine still within the warranty period of not.
If it's only one pixel then it's within fault-limits.

It should be mentioned in your owners manual that this is "normal".

11-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by misbehave Quote
My K-5 had this. Even if you were to get a new one, it might have and/or develop a hit pixel.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.

I guess I can live with it as long as it is not affecting the actual image.
But is this going to get worse? Like more white pixels appearing.
Is there some kind of preventive measure for this problem?

11-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It happens to all LCDs eventually, it is unavoidable. Some are there from the time of manufacture, some take years to appear.
11-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This may or may not work with your camera.

Hot pixels on a display can sometimes be shocked into working again. Create a very brightly lighted WHITE surface, but don't do something silly like point your camera at the sun. Turn on Live View, but turn off all enhancement features and overlays. ALL you want is the white image. Manually mis-focus to blur everything and set the aperture to wide open. Now for about 4-5 minutes, let the the camera see this solid white image. Use your hand to cover the lens for a second or two every five seconds or so. A tripod may make this chore easier to do.

See if your hot pixel shuts down each time you go dark. If the pixel doesn't correct itself. If not, after 4-5 minutes, shut the camera down to let your sensor cool for a few minutes. Then repeat. I've had some LCD panels take upwards of an hour to fix hot pixels - and to be frank, on some LCD panels this shocking trick will never work. Or where it did work, the pixel returned to its hot status at some point.
11-03-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

i used to have an old sony a100 ,, bit different than your situation. but occasionally it would get a hot pixel on the sensor and all i would have to do is change the date in the camera and then later reset it and the hot pixel would go away..
But i never had a hot pixel on the display screen.