Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

rear curtain sync

Hi all, i recently bought a Yougnuo YN560-III and i was wondering how to get it to fire in rear curtain sync, any help would be great

Thanks

11-07-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately this feature requires a P-TTL flash to do it directly. You can do it indirectly by triggering the YN-560 optically in S2 mode with the pop up flash. The shutter speed must be faster than 1/30s for it to work, at least in my experience, otherwise there YN-560 times out waiting for the second flash because the pre-flash happens before the exposure.
11-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Unfortunately this feature requires a P-TTL flash to do it directly. You can do it indirectly by triggering the YN-560 optically in S2 mode with the pop up flash. The shutter speed must be faster than 1/30s for it to work, at least in my experience, otherwise there YN-560 times out waiting for the second flash because the pre-flash happens before the exposure.

hi there, I'm litlle confused about second curtain flash - It appeals that in flash menu of my K 3, there is not option called Second curtain, or Rear curtain - there is only Trailing Curtain...

And trailing is firing flash instantly with shutter released ...

Where it s ?

---edit

I FOUND IT. It's only available in P, AV, and SV mode... It is not just Second curtain, they name it Trailing , and Second curtain flash, as a clean option not exist.

It has flash when you're opening exposure, and flash before closing it. So it kind of double your objects, once when they start to move in frame, and once when exposure is done..

Pity

Hm hm hm...

Last edited by panonski; 11-11-2015 at 01:14 PM.
11-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #4

I think trailing is the same thing second curtain. The normal flash fires when the shutter opens and the trailing or second curtain fires just before the shutter closes. The pre flash fires before the shutter opens just to get the exposure right.

11-12-2015, 02:23 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by martym Quote
I think trailing is the same thing second curtain. The normal flash fires when the shutter opens and the trailing or second curtain fires just before the shutter closes. The pre flash fires before the shutter opens just to get the exposure right.
it's not the same thing, effect in the picture is completely different... I have this option in my older Ricoh, and in Olympus Pen,

it work fantastic if you know how to use it. I like effect of frozen subjects with trail behind, but when flash fires twice, instead of just once - your subjects have two frosen "static" place, and that's just not it - because if you clearly want just one, with litlle trail behind,

you won't get it, because flash fires twice
11-12-2015, 03:54 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Rear, second, and trailing curtain are all the same.

Yougnuo's implementation is just faulty. It may be all they can do generically, but it is still "wrong" and not consistent with true 'trailing curtain' implementations.
11-12-2015, 06:31 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Rear, second, and trailing curtain are all the same.

Yougnuo's implementation is just faulty. It may be all they can do generically, but it is still "wrong" and not consistent with true 'trailing curtain' implementations.

maybe I'm wrong, I must checked once again is there any preflash exist on that option in these other two cameras I have
11-23-2015, 03:23 AM   #8

yes, I was wrong about preflash, it's existing on my Oly too...